• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What press/presses are you using?

Airw4ves

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2014
Canada
www.youtube.com
Hey, so I have an old Rockchucker that I got in a trade that has got me started with my reloading. Now Im looking to upgrade to a new press as this one is getting a bit worn and Im unsure of its accuracy. My question to you is what are all you using to reload precision ammo? I have toyed with the idea of going the Hornady LnL AP route and just using each station as a single stage, with the ability to use it for large output jobs like 9mm and 223. Wondering though if single stage is still the way to go, and I figure seeing what all you use will help in my decision making.
Any additional info on the presses would be greatly appreciated too

I have a Forster Co-Ax and also a Lee Reloader that I use for de-priming. Looking at a good turret press for our AR's.

Dillon 650 and a rockchucker

My thinks I only have 3 guns

I'm using a Lee Classic Cast for my precision .223 reloading (with Forster dies) and reloading 45-70 artillery rounds (RCBS cowboy dies), a Dillon SDB for pistol calibers (9mm, .38, .44 and .45 ACP) and a MEC 9000 for shotshells (skeet and sporty's). Super happy with each one of them for their intended purpose.

RCBS Pardner-decaping
rock chucker-resizing
arbor press/LE Wilson seating
Dillon 550-pistol rounds
spolar 12 thru410 skeet ammo

When I started to reload for rifle, I basically had to buy a new press - my Dillon 1050 would be a real PITA to load precision rifle ammo on (it could be done, in theory, but...). I went with the MEC Marksman. Pretty solid little press, actually. I've loaded on Rockchuckers and Lyman single stage presses in the past (plus every press Dillon makes). The open front on the press makes it really easy to access the ram, and it seems to be built like a tank.

Lee Classic Cast single stage. It has a cast iron frame and its linkage doesn't knuckle over. I got mine new for $125. A non-knuckling over center press linkage is highly recommended for the use of the Lee Collet Die. The best feel for what the Collet Die is doing is obtained this way.

RCBS Rockchucker and a Lyman Orange Crusher (23 years old and still turns out precision ammo).

Redding T 7 turret press set up with two sets of dies (260Rem and 300wm) plus a depriming die. I prime on the empty space

forester co-ax,

the only thing i don't really like about how it loads primers, (granted it loads them to a good repeatable depth, its just kinda slow, and you have to handle each individual primer)

Dillon 1050 for high volume stuff
Redding T-7 for precision stuff
old turret press for odd ball crap like 30-30

Forster Co-Ax for precision loads. Dillon 650XL for high volume loading. I am currently testing 650 vs Co-Ax to see if I can justify switching exclusively to the 650 for all loading.

I use 3 Press's a RCBS Rock Chucker and 4X4 and a Dillon 550B. The Rock Chucker for trimming with the Dillon trimmer, RCBS 4X4 for 308 and the Dillon 550B for 556. But use the RCBS ChargeMaster to drop powder on the Dillon and RCBS 4X4 when doing precision loads. All other calibers I use the Dillon 550B for bulk reloading

Thanks for all the reply's!
Im starting to lean towards the Dillon 550C and a Chargemaster/hand pouring for my 6.5x47L and then picking up the dropper for 9mm. Im ok with spending a bit more than the Hornady for better CS and buying into a product that the company backs/supports.
Im not shooting benchrest so practical accuracy is all Im really after.

Rockchucker will eventually wear out, just like most other things. The linkage will get sloppy over time and this can cause inconsistencies in setting cartridge headspace and possibly seating depth, if seating resistance is great enough. Using redding + shell holders will fix sizing issues. I've thought about having mine honed out and larger pins installed, but probably not worth it.

The main two presses I use are a rock chucker for most rifle and some pistol and a 650 for most pistol and 223. I have two other small single stage presses for odds/ins. I've been wanting to get a redding turret for a while now, but haven't gotten around to it.

It was originally in a very humid climate so I had to polish off a bunch of rust, and it needed a fair bit of TLC. Im also getting varying seating depths. That and Im just looking at other options. I'll keep it around for other tasks, just wanted to see what others were using.

Rockchuker Supreme. They really coulda came up with a better primer catcher. :confused:

Forster coax, hornady classic, hornady ap. The ap I've always had trouble with seating primers beyond flush. To do over I would have the coax for general rifle duty. A Dillion 650 or 1050 for pistol work and maybe 223. And a arbor press with Wilson hand dies for precision low run-out bullet seating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dillon 550BL with Redding BR3 measure for rifle stuff and a Dillon SDB for pistol. I only kept one caliber (.40) of pistol until I purchased my old duty pistol, P220R.

Is it possible to load precision rifle on a Dillon 1050 (weighing powder on a scale)? Or is a single stage or 550 with floating die holder set up the only way?

In theory, it's possible on a Super 1050 (not the older RL1050, which doesn't have the height below the toolhead to load medium or larger rifle cartridges). You can float dies on that press using o-rings.

Here's the thing - and why I'm not doing it on my own. You still have to run it as two passes (Dillon's on-press case trimmer uses a Dillon made size die as part of it's operation - a FL non-bushing die), so you're still going to size the brass... and then nothing else, until you trim and finish prepping brass, and remove the lube. If you use a mandrel to expand necks, you can obviously do both on the first pass, with the mandrel in pretty much any other station. The one big rule is that you need to decap on station 1 - after that, you could size and expand in 5 of the remaining 6 stations.

Then you switch toolheads (which isn't super quick on the 1050, unlike the 550 or 650). The brass would need to move past 2 empty stations to be primed (the priming on the 1050 is superb, though, if you're using fairly consistent brass - you don't feel it, but you can set the depth mechanically, and if your primer pockets are fairly uniform, your primer seating is very consistent). Then you can drop powder into the case and seat on any of the remaining 4 stations.

That's $400 in toolheads alone. That more than paid for my single stage press and then some. It almost pays for the 550 set up, even.

Where the 1050 would shine, though, I think, is in loading "just needs to be accurate enough" .223 trainer ammo, and things like that. Loading rifle ammo, as the press is intended to be used (with the Dillon powder measure), you should be able to load 800 rounds per hour (Dillon says 1000-2000 - loading .38 Super racegun ammo for USPSA, I never got above 1200, but that load used N105 and was a very full case - if I rushed, I'd sling powder all over the press).

I considered nabbing a 550 for precision rifle, and I'm sure it would do an excellent job when set up correctly. I didn't have space on my bench for the bigger press, and I kind of wanted to have a go at it with a single stage first, so I that's the way I went ;-)

Dillon XL650 for handgun, Sinclair arbor press/Wilson hand dies for my (long gun) range kit. Wish I had a Rockchucker for neck bumping and full length resizing.

if you don't already have a scale, I would suggest you check out the "AND FX-120i" and the "Autotrickler" designed for it. The best deal for the FX seems to be @ Cambridge Environmental, which is where I got mine.

I use a Prazipress now. I took the plunge because the crinkle finish wore off the top unevenly on my Redding bigboss2 which indicated to me something was off center to begin with. Also it got filthy with carbon and primer residue as well as showing wear in the linkage, primers missed the tray, etc.

I use the 1 -1/4 x12 thread Warner die so I needed a press that took the adapter and I wanted which is why I bought the Redding to begin with, otherwise I would have tried a Forster coax.

I tried the RCBS Summit press but screws were always coming loose and they flat out didn't design it well. Had a old Lyman as my first press, it's was okay but I had bought used and a little worn.

Back to the Prazipress, it's so well made it's really a work of art! It's as perfectly machined as anything I've come across and the bearings really make it smooth operating! Very glad I spent the money! I like that it captures every primer and that it stays clean. Far-far superior to any press I've messed with.

Got a good old 550 for progressive reloading and a Square deal too. I don't load but 200-1000 at a time so the other Dillon presses didn't make sense in my case. I only used the 550 for 223 or 308 as far as rifle cartridges and those rounds are not for precision.

Last edited:
Redding Big Boss
MEC Marksman
I also have a Lee Hand Press I use randomly for range loading and depriming.

I drink red coolaid, hornady classic single stage and hornady ap.

I always decap on the progressive, it is faster. I resize 223 and load 223 on the progressive

308 is either press i feeel like.

9mm/40cal is all progressive, i can take my time and relax and easily get 200 in an hour,

Unless you have zero time and shoot hundreds of rounds per week i have found this suits my needs and i shoot more often then anyone i know

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm only using a Rockchucker because I only load for precision rifles. I'm considering a Dillon 550 to try for this task or a Redding T-7. Either way I'll continue to drop charges with the Chargemaster.

I'm only using a Rockchucker because I only load for precision rifles. I'm considering a Dillon 550 to try for this task or a Redding T-7. Either way I'll continue to drop charges with the Chargemaster.

This is where Im at. I dont load for pistol, just my bolt gun, but if precision ammo can be had from a Dillon 550C, I feel like that just may be my one press for everything solution. I'll stick to the CM for powder for sure, but I feel like having one press to do both would work best for me.
My only decision is to go either Hornady LnL AP or Dillon 550C. I feel like the manual aspect of the Dillon would make for better precision, but I do like the LnL Bushing system that the AP uses. That and their cost is about $300 less up her for me (factoring in the cost of the powder thrower too)
Anyone have any insite on the pro's/cons of either, mainly when it comes to precision ammo?

Forster Co - Ax for full length resizing and odds and ends.
Hornady Lock and Load progressive for .223 Service Rifle loads.
Lyman small turret press set up for decapping and with a bullet puller for culled cartridges.

Rockchucker and Dillon 550 here. Moving my precision rifle loading over to the Dillon so Rockchucker isn't getting used much.

I have an older LNL AP bought it around 98-01, it's good for pistol & have spent countless hours tweaking for any type of rifle but just doesn't work well for any rifle. Use it on 223 but powder doesn't always fill correctly with out making a mess. The priming system is super picky on all. I've heard that the newer ones are better but I would gladly trade my LNL AP press with auto case feeder & all four feeder plates & several press plates for a bare Dillon 550.

A pair of Dillon 550's, a 650 with casefeeder, a RC that's about 45 years old, and a Big Boss 2. A gazillion different toolheads for just about every popular pistol caliber, and floating setups for the three heavy barrel rifle calibers I regularly shoot.

I started with a Rockchucker and bought a Co-Ax a couple years ago. I love not having to monkey around with lock rings and quickly change dies. I can't imagine priming with that thing, though. I used a 21st Century hand primer.

I recently bought a small arbor press since I made a few seating dies from Wilson blanks. They seat so much easier with the hand die. Just last week I got a Harrell's Precision combo press. It gives you an arbor and standard die press in one. It easily clamps to a bench and doesn't move. Most importantly, it's small and easy to transport to the range. If I were to have one press that would be it. The only issue is OAL. I can load my 6.5 WSM cases pretty long but anything longer and the press has too small of an opening.

I have an older LNL AP bought it around 98-01, it's good for pistol & have spent countless hours tweaking for any type of rifle but just doesn't work well for any rifle. Use it on 223 but powder doesn't always fill correctly with out making a mess. The priming system is super picky on all. I've heard that the newer ones are better but I would gladly trade my LNL AP press with auto case feeder & all four feeder plates & several press plates for a bare Dillon 550.

Dillon 650 will flick powder out of the case when indexing. I grab a bullet in left hand then place that hand on the case going to the seating station. That softens the index enough to keep powder from flicking out of the cases. Might apply to a LNL too.

Curious, do any of the Dillon 550 users here use Uniquetech's/Whidden's CNC Toolhead? Wondering if its really worth it. Im thinking of just using rubber O-Rings to float the dies, but also would love to hear feedback from those who have gone that route.
Thanks

21st Century arbor with Wilson dies for seating most rifle. 21st Century priming tool. CoAx for one caliber (seems to work best for run out on that caliber). Rockchucker for decapping. Dillon 650s for pistol.

Curious, do any of the Dillon 550 users here use Uniquetech's/Whidden's CNC Toolhead? Wondering if its really worth it. Im thinking of just using rubber O-Rings to float the dies, but also would love to hear feedback from those who have gone that route.
Thanks

I've become a Big fan and believer in floating dies when using the Dillon presses. But, you can make your own for a couple dollars using basic parts from Ace Hardware.

Since I switched over to a 1050, powered by a Mark 7, I'll never be able to use anything else. I may be an oddball, but it's totally worth the money.

A little dillon lube and carbide dies, 308/260 resizes like butter.

Hornady classic here. It seems to work great for what I need

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Since I switched over to a 1050, powered by a Mark 7, I'll never be able to use anything else. I may be an oddball, but it's totally worth the money.

A little dillon lube and carbide dies, 308/260 resizes like butter.

PM Inbound

I have some 50bmg surplus bullets that I need to run through a sizing die. Any ideas who makes a press that can handle the pressure of bullet swaging? I've already broke 2 handles on a hornady 50bmg press, and I just broke a handle on a Redding ultra mag single stage press.

I have some 50bmg surplus bullets that I need to run through a sizing die. Any ideas who makes a press that can handle the pressure of bullet swaging? I've already broke 2 handles on a hornady 50bmg press, and I just broke a handle on a Redding ultra mag single stage press.

Try a Corbin bullet swaging press???