• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Priming Tool is Everyone Using?

slhunter23

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2013
I have been running the RCBS 90200 since I started reloading about 5 years ago and think its time for something more efficient. I'm not loading a ton but find this setup a little bit of a pain. What is everyone else using and how do you like it?

I recently wore out my RCBS hand primer, which I got in the early 90s. I bought a Lyman hand primer to replace it. It's too early to say if I like the RCBS or the Lyman primer more.

I have used Lee hand primers for many years. Broke the first one after about six years of use and replaced it with the current version. Now that I have arthritis in my hand and thumb joint, it is getting painful to use a hand primer. I will reluctantly be moving to a bench type priming tool soon.

CPS is impressive but I need to shoot more to justify a $600 tool. More looking at the sub $100 range.

I got the bench mounted rcbs priming tool last year. Best money I've spent on reloading yet. I can prime 300-400 rounds quickly and much less painfully than with the old rcbs hand held priming tool.

I really like my CPS. But before I owned it I used the RCBS and priming tool. I really liked it. My biggest reason for the switch was my hands start to hurt bad after about 50 primers.

Primal Rights is the only way to go. It might seem a bit pricey up front, but you'll thank yourself after the first 50 rounds.

Reactions: strat81
Been use the Lee priming tools since the mid 90's.
Basically worn the first one out which was the older design after about 10 years and just bought the newer design after and been using it since.
It has been all I've needed and no complaints but I don't have delicate nana hands. ??

I had a lee for a long time but it finally busted.
Now I have the RCBS universal.
no complaints.

I started with priming on press, then with a 21 century hand primer. I snagged a CPS with the SH deal.

The Primal rights CPS is the clear winner. Quick, smooth, precise, and doesn't hurt to use or tire me out after 50 primers. It's going to replace all my other tools.

I use the Lee Auto Bench priming tool. Despite the “Warning” to NOT use Federal Large primers in it...I’ve loaded quite a few of them with it and haven’t had any mishaps yet. Doesn’t hurt to operate, and when you get in a groove you can really bogey

I like my Lee Bench Primer Tool. Good feel and the price is right! Only complaint is that the primers hang up and don't feed.

Gotta give my vote to the CPS. One of the nicest tools on my bench and you can prime large lots of brass with no fatigue. I average about 100 primed in 10-13 minutes depending on how smooth i go

I got the bench mounted rcbs priming tool last year. Best money I've spent on reloading yet. I can prime 300-400 rounds quickly and much less painfully than with the old rcbs hand held priming tool.

This... the only thing I wish is that it was easier to load the primer tube - mine is super stiff. It works very well, though.

Reactions: C_R_Slacker
This... the only thing I wish is that it was easier to load the primer tube - mine is super stiff. It works very well, though.

Greg has mentioned that they are coming out with a primer filler system and I for one will be buying it right away.

I use the CPS Lite on my Redding T7. Well worth the extra $100 over other options. Initial adjustment was tedious, however, because I only shoot Peterson brass and only reload 6.5CM and .308, I have not needed to make any adjustments. I am sure if I were loading more calibers, I would invest in the CPS. Otherwise, the CPS Lite sounds to be more along the lines of what you are looking for.

For PR cases, I use an old Lyman hand primer. I've used it so much over the past 20+ years, I recently had to turn a new 'Plunger stem' (for lack of a better term) because the end wore down a couple thou and wasn't seating them fully.
For all other cases, Dillion 650.

Frankford Arsenal, full kit under $100

I use this as well and have been very happy with it. Light years better than my hornady hand held primer

Reactions: ken4570tc in WY
I use a hornady autoloader thing that looks like a 1911 to to vibrate fill mine. Screw that picking each one up business.

I've used a RCBS hand primer tool for the last 5 years. I just updated to the RCBS auto priming tool and am looking forward to trying it out.

Looks like of a bunch of us CPS owners clicked on this just to say "you gotta get one of these!", and they are amazing.

Before that I had a couple of the RCBS universal hand primers, which I've kept for odd priming when I don't want to switch everything over, and I also had the RCBS bench primer that took tubes not strips. It was pretty decent and I felt like I made it better by putting a small steel rule behind it where the lever arm terminated so that I could go to the same depth with the primer each time. Not as accurately as the CPS obviously, but better than just herking on the arm and hoping. You can definitely load primers well in other options, the CPS just makes it quick and painless. If I was still 25, I'd consider CPS owners nuts and with more money than brains. Now pushing 40, I feel like it's an investment in future shooting.

Ditched the RCBS handheld since it left way too many primers proud of the case. Upgraded to RCBS autoprime and so far it has performed well. Just wasn't willing to spend $600 for the Primal Rights priming tool.

Reactions: salks and 7mMike
I use the RCBS Hand Priming Tool (90200) for my 338 NM and the RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool (90201) for all my other calibers. Both work great and are fast.

Ditched the RCBS handheld since it left way too many primers proud of the case. Upgraded to RCBS autoprime and so far it has performed well. Just wasn't willing to spend $600 for the Primal Rights priming tool.
I’d own one if they were like half the price. 600 that’s a lot of coin for priming cases.

I've been using a lee hand primer for over 30 years. Now that I think about it, that and the rockchucker press are the only things I started with that are left

I use the hand held RCBS . I DO love the 21st Century primer pocket uniformer which has a dial caliper. I feel that's more of an issue.

I got the K&M basic tool (the one without the gauge) and it ROCKS! I'm sure the new century tool is a little slicker. But the K&M does the job with extreme precision and does it for a small fraction of the cost of the NC. And I don't think you can wear one out. One of the best purchases I've made for reloading.

I use Dillon Primer tube tips in the RCBS tube. Works well for me.