• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What range needs a canted rail with .223 bolt gun?

Sid Post

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma, USA
I have a .223 Remington model 700 that needs optics. Starting out, I'm having the barrel threaded for my suppressor at ~24 inches. I have considered going to either 16 or 18 inches. Using NATO spec loads from 55gr up to the heavier 77 grain match rounds, what ranges start to need a 20MOA canted base? I expect to run mainly 62gr loads but, over time I may go heavier.

TIA,
Sid

Re: What range needs a canted rail with .223 bolt gun?

It would depend adjustment range of the scope. A NF 2.5-10 gets me to my maximum .223 range of 700 meters with a huge amount of turret adjustment to spare. This is on a standard AR upper: 21 MOA up from a 200M zero at 5,000 ft shooting 77gr SMKs at 2,700 FPS (18" barrel).

+1 on knowing which scope (or at least how much internal elevation adjustment you have).

Without knowing that key piece of info...its purely a guess.

That said...I run 20MOA bases (or more) on nearly all of my bolt action rifles. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it (but again...it depends on the particular optic)!!

Look at your drop chart and compare that to how much elevation you have in your scope after you zero at a given yardage. Its the only way to know.

With the 5-25sb on my AR i am still on the first revolution (double turn turret) at 600 yards so i have lots left. Much past 600 with a short barreled 223 its kind of like pissing in the wind.

Past 500 yards 77's will be the best bullet out of all you stated. Also, your bullet choice will effect your drop chart.

Should have said.. If you dont have a base yet just get a 20moa and you wont ever have to worry about it. We sell maybe 10 -0- moa bases a year..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should have said.. If you dont have a base yet just get a 20moa and you wont ever have to worry about it. We sell maybe 10 -0- moa bases a year.. </div></div>

That's kind of what I was looking for. Initially, I'll be using a Hensoldt 4x16-56 but, that scope is destined for a different bolt gun locked in a safe out of state at the moment.

I'm running a 20 on my .223. It's perfect.

I have a 20moa base on my .223 bolt gun which has a vortex viper pst on it. I have between 15 and 16 mils of up past my 100 yard zero. I can dial to 1000 easily. and I could make it a bit further but haven't really tried. without the base i would beable to make it to between 900 and 950 yards.

I am running 69gr Smk's and Varget.

I have a 20 on my 223 it's got room to go at 1k w/ a nightforce.