• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What range to build .338LM load data at?

gunderwood

Private
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2009
Virginia
Generally, the advise has been to work up loads at a distance greater than 100 yards with the long range .338LM rounds. What distance have you found to be ideal? I.e. if a load shoots good at X yards, it usually shoots good for all distances past that.

Re: What range to build .338LM load data at?

I'm going to go against the grain and say that you can work up a load at 100 yards...IF that is all you have. I have worked up my loads at 100yds because that was the range I had readily available. I did confirm at 1000 and beyond though. Regardless, a good chrony is a must as ES and SD is independent of range (I know...duh).

If I had a range easily accessible, that was 300 yards or longer then I would do it at 600 yards...

YMMV

Tony

Re: What range to build .338LM load data at?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunderwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Generally, the advise has been to work up loads at a distance greater than 100 yards with the long range .338LM rounds. What distance have you found to be ideal? I.e. if a load shoots good at X yards, it usually shoots good for all distances past that. </div></div>

Its been my experience x is 300 or greater. And even then if your velocities are off you won't see the vertical change as much as you would at 500 etc.. I don't think there is an exact answer. But the shooter will benefit from practicing at longer ranges.