• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Redding dies for 308 Win?

BullzeyeNJ

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Hello,

I'm not new to reloading. I own a couple Dillon progressive presses and have been loading handgun for years. I am new to handloading rifle ammo. I want to get started with 308 winchester since that is what my rifles shoot. I bought a Forster Co-ax press that will be delivered this week. Its been backordered for the last couple weeks but I have heard it will be worth the wait. I also have alot of accessories that I need to rifle handloading.

The only thing I have not ordered are the dies yet. I have narrowed it down to Redding b/c I have had great success with them in my pistol loads.

I am going to get the "S" type dies in 308 win. The purpose of handloading for me, right now, is to make ammo that will improve the accuracy of my rifles. I shoot only paper and the distances I will be shooting will be from 100 to 300 yards.

My question to the forum is:

Do I buy the full length sizing die or the neck sizing die?

Is it worth the extra money to buy the seating die with micrometer adjustment?

Re: What Redding dies for 308 Win?

Welcome to the Co-Ax family, buy Hornady lock rings, they are steel and work great in the Co-Ax, I'm kinda wacky so bear with me, in 308 my fired case neck measures .342, I use a Type S neck die with a .339 bushing, then I use a Type S FL die with a .336 bushing for Lapua brass, I also use Reddings Carbide Floating expander ball, with Lapua brass and the .336 bushing it barely touches the inside of the neck, Concentricity is very good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BullzeyeNJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going to get the "S" type dies in 308 win.

My question to the forum is:

Do I buy the full length sizing die or the neck sizing die?

Is it worth the extra money to buy the seating die with micrometer adjustment?
    </div></div>

I happen to have the Competition die set, and for me it was the better choice. {ALthough I must admit the micrometer is of little use on the sizing die, it is of great use on the seating die.}

Unless you plan on running neck tension experiments during load development, for all practical purposes you are just as well of with the Type-S sizing die.

So then the question turns to Full Length or Neck Only. This topic degenerates into the FL is more accurate, NO has better brass life. Both statements are true. So, for example, if your load and your gun can shoot 0.3" groups with properly developed FL regimine, you might see a degredation to 0.325"-0.35" if you use a NO regimine. The payback, is you get 2X-5X brass life. Competitive shooters will invariably want/need that 0.025-0.05", ... I do not, To me is is thrilling enough to print a tinly little group competeing against only myself.

1+

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJ Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would suggest the Full length S die with the comp. seater. A .332 bushing will work for most brass until you pick a standard. If you are running Lapua brass a .334 is better. Get a bump gauge so you can set the FL die correctly. Call Sinclair they have all. </div></div>

I use the Redding deluxe die set.I has a fl sizer,neck sizer,and standard seater.This set will make ammo that is as good or better than factory.If you want more,you can buy the competition seater seperatly.Bushing dies are great for custom chambers where you turn the case necks,but they can cause you grief and make you chase your tail if you are not turning case necks.Different brands of brass and even different lots of the same brand will require different bushing sizes.Too much trouble for what you get,IMHO. Pete

I actually have found that the 337 bushing works best for me with lapua brass. It gives me 1-2 thousandths neck tension for 99% of 2 lots of brass. But before I run it thru the FL size die with the 337, I run it thru the neck die with a 341 bushing and expander ball. Gets the deformity out of the case without killing the concentricity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually have found that the 337 bushing works best for me with lapua brass. It gives me 1-2 thousandths neck tension for 99% of 2 lots of brass. But before I run it thru the FL size die with the 337, I run it thru the neck die with a 341 bushing and expander ball. Gets the deformity out of the case without killing the concentricity. </div></div>

+1 on the .337 bushing.

I find that neck sizing only haves me better accuracy than f/l sizing and I do not neck turn the brass. This is in a factory Remington chamber that's as big as a barn. My neck on a piece of fired brass measures .345"! Nothing great. .341" would be more desirable.

I use Comp Redding dies and neck sizer for my bolt guns. Soon to be using FL for the gas gun once it arrives. The Redding Comp die is definitely worth the money.