• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What reloading data is good to note?

Space Jam Darimon

Private
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2021
USA
I began reloading last fall and started with my 6.5cm. I was looking to start reloading for the upcoming year, however I’m finding I didn’t take that great of notes at the time. Thus having a hard time replicating what I’ve already developed for a load.

I’ll be looking to start fresh and it had me curious as to what others find to be note worthy to write down.

So what do you guys write down in your load books?

I began reloading last fall and started with my 6.5cm. I was looking to start reloading for the upcoming year, however I’m finding I didn’t take that great of notes at the time. Thus having a hard time replicating what I’ve already developed for a load.

I’ll be looking to start fresh and it had me curious as to what others find to be note worthy to write down.

So what do you guys write down in your load books?
If you're not a stickler on "precision" reloading, I'd say to record all that's on this Development Target file that's attached below:

I record a lot more data on a spreadsheet to easily find and analyze, which I've downloaded here with a .pdf file extension since we can't download Excel. You can change the extension to .xls to view it after downloading. To do that:

MS Windows
1. Right click on the windows icon on your window's toolbar
2. Select "File Explorer"
3. Select "View" at the top
4. Check the box "File name extensions" to view the extension in the file name
5. Go to properties of this file and change the extension from .pdf to .xls
6. Open the file
7. Modify to your liking
8. Enjoy. ;) 🥴

Attachments

• Development Target.pdf
    200.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Reloading Data Sample.pdf
    982.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
I write it all down in my loading notebook.

Comparator used, measuremts, bullet, powder, primer, brass, and then the velocities when I shoot em, as as a brief accuracy note. You never know what you will want to go back send see and use and it doesn't take any time at all.

My data book contains :
Blueprinted new brass ...ie unfired brass,brass manufacturer ,Head space ,case length ,neck O.D. - I.D. ,necks turned or not ,neck thickness ,flash holes deburred or not , primer pockets uniformed or not ,case head measurement ,assign a lot number,date, prepped brass weight ,probably forgetting something

Load workup : brass ,powder and grains ,primer ,bullet ,loaded neck O.D. , BTO and how far off lands it equals , OAL ,record lot number and number loadings / firings on brass ,fps ,ES ,SD,fired casehead measurement,Date,I haven't been recording, but need to start, temperature when shot ,sized and fired headspace, fired neck O.D. /I.D. ,CL , casehead,trimmed length if applicable,

Settled on load labeled on box : date loaded, lot number ,number of loading /firings ,Brass manufacturer, primer ,powder and grains ,bullet ,BTO ,average FPS, Loaded round total weight and spread ,notes on brass prep sometimes

I retain also, all my shot targets with enough info on them to know what was shot

I may or not do all the above case prep.....depends on my mood and purpose of use
The above has helped me retain what little sanity I still possess

ETA : I use post-it notes a lot ,to keep up with where I am so if I walk away for a while I'll know where I was ...... Same thing for seater dies.....ie what bullet was seated last time used.

Last edited:
I will write down the charge weight. Other than that I just keep a couple of loaded rounds available for reference. This can also be done with a dummy round.

On my reloading book :

1) Batch number, batch size and date of reloading
2) Brass brand, how many fires total, how many fires since anneal, case length
3) Primer, powder type and powder charge
4)Bullet model, CBTO and crimp strength (if any)

And a few open lines for noting anything particular after shooting (Chrono data if measured, comments on accuracy, overpressure signs etc...)

That covers up basically all I need to know for my own reloading procedure.

Those free stickers you get in boxes of bullets…. Have most everything you need unless you are going deep down the rabbit hole. I keep a clipboard on the loading room wall with details on each batch, too.

And don’t feel bad about writing in your reloading manual. There is lots of room for notes.

Sirhr

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet...

Especially today with limited component availability. Document the lot numbers of components used. It's becoming more common to have mixed lots in the reloading room because of supply. Different lots of powder can burn a bit different. Different lots of bullets may have small variations in base to ogive or bearing length, etc.

Usually not a big deal but I've seen some differences in the reloading room and on target over the years.

I write down all of the pertinent brass details. You can’t replicate something if you don’t know what it was to start with.
0EEED904-AB36-4C7F-82CA-50DEB6DBD74D.jpeg

Then write down the pertinent load details so you know what was shot.

In this test I was doing large seating depth increments to see if I give a shit to track throat erosion, I dont. It shoots the same over the next .035 of seating depth.
36621C86-A299-4CD2-99D2-775740950216.jpeg

(dashes are where I hit the aim point sticker and sucked it through the paper)

Just write it down in a way that works for you so that when you come back to it you will be able to tell, not remember. You may remember what you did week to week, you cant remember what 5 tests ago was without some reminders.

Last edited:
I use a 3" 3 ring binder to hold my test targets that are on heavy (28#-32#), 8X11 copier paper. All load info is noted on the target so I can go back and duplicate that load. I have 3 ring binders on about 15-20 rifles. All the binders are labeled to the rifle and they are stored in a book shelf.

I have loads that go back over 25 years. This works for me.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Based on info given this is what I’ve come up with so far. Some things will change as more or less will be done.

Attachments

• AD3DA549-584B-4EF6-AF86-DD1BF537C0F3.jpeg
    AD3DA549-584B-4EF6-AF86-DD1BF537C0F3.jpeg
    426 KB · Views: 53
Id say note what works for you in your gun someone else's information might work for you or it might get you close to something you want or not work for you at all. Your going to have to try and see as my fps results may or may not be what you get from a load of powder . Id wish you the best of luck but you don't need it try it all go slow or jump as high as you want to you have to live with what you do to you and your gun . Single digit sd's are nice , but a more consistent round you can put into a smaller group easier is more important to me anyway for the ranges I have to shoot at I am not shooting a mile yet so i have no need to push my speeds any higher than what i use now . My goal for my creed moor is 42 grains of powder or less with 2740 fps to 2780's and a 1/4 inch group with near single digit sd's ( 10 or less and I'm happy ) at 100 yards . I just need to fix all my little problems I have so I can shoot that more than once in a while ( twitching , the shakes , run away heart rates that type of fun stuff , and learning to make wind calls that mean something rather than complete guesses .

Last edited: