• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What reloading equipment to purchase

SouthTxShooter

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2013
I would like some suggestions on what to get and what to avoiding to start my reloading setup. I do not have any reloading equipment, but lots of guns. I am mostly interested in reloading 9mm, 45acp, .300 AAC blkout, .270wsm, .308, and .338Lm for starters. I want to get quality equipment that I will only need to buy 1 of (I already have too many unused/unwanted gun parts lying around). I would really like a progressive press but I am concerned about consistency, therefore I wouldn't opposed to getting both progressive and single stage presses. Also, I would like a ultrasonic cleaner and digital powder measurer. Overall, I want to be able to load accurately for some rounds and quickly for others, while purchasing the fewest amount of equipment (I know it will still be quite a few).

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Check out my thread New to reloading that has some great info in it about reloading .223 and .308 precision ammo. I am very happy with the equipment I bought and everything has been great so far. My first batch of .308 ammo shot a 5 shot group at 100 yds measuring .435" with Varget.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...223-308-match-grade-reloading-setup-help.html

Love the Forster Ultra NM dies, the Omega II Trickler, Saturn funnels, and RCBS Chargemaster 1500. I also use a Lyman Universal Decapping die to remove primers then wet tumble so I don't get my Forster NM dies dirty and scratched. Thumblers Tumbler is also great and I also have an RCBS tumbler for corn cob. I wet tumble then blow out with my air compressor then throw in corn cob for 30 minutes to make sure they are completely dry. Just couldn't get the insides of the cases clean to my satisfaction only dry tumbling. Cases come out sparkling clean inside and out now.

I bought a Hornady Lock N Load manual case trimmer 2 weeks ago which I am done with. Ordering a .308 Giraud Tri Way Trimmer as the Hornady is way to much work when trying to trim 100-200 cases. I recently received a .223 WFT Trimmer from a Hide member that I haven't used yet but will shortly.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention I would be loading both super/sub sonic rounds and the ultrasonic cleaner will be used for cases, gun parts and suppressor baffles (I am looking at the Hornady lock n' load magnum).

Ok, this is/was my journey into reloading. As far as a press goes, I started reloading .45acp with a Lee Classic Turret and Lee dies, after I gained enough confidence I moved into reloading the 9mm. The 9mm cartridge is a little more finicky then the .45acp. I also started reloading 223 on the LCT.

Looking for more accuracy I moved to a single stage press before acquiring stuff for the 308. I also stepped up to redding type S , and whidden dies, and reserve the LCT for pistol reloads.
Get a couple reloading manuals, devices for brass prep, weighing charges and a multitude of measuring devices.

Search out a thread "join me on my epic ar accuracy jour......" Lots of good info

Enjoy

I use a Redding T-7 for my accuracy loads, Dillon S1050 for bulk reloading of .45acp, .223 plinking ammo and .308 for gas guns. I have a Dillon 550b if I add a new caliber to the mix and a RCBS Rock Chucker for utility stuff like pulling bullets. I'm a right tool for the job kinda guy.

Get a Dillon 650 for reloading (try Grafs and sons) Get a RCBS rock chucker for single stage. Dont waste your money on a digital scale. All the ones I've bought I never use them for measuring powder. Use a trusty beam scale (like in a Rock Chucker supreme kit). Also get a stainless steel tumbler for cleaning....nothing else compares. Frankford arsenal makes a good one or SStumbling .com Also get the Frankford arsonal trimmer

I use worlds finest trimmer from little crow. I do high volume!

Get a Dillon 650 for reloading (try Grafs and sons) Get a RCBS rock chucker for single stage. Dont waste your money on a digital scale. All the ones I've bought I never use them for measuring powder. Use a trusty beam scale (like in a Rock Chucker supreme kit). Also get a stainless steel tumbler for cleaning....nothing else compares. Frankford arsenal makes a good one or SStumbling .com Also get the Frankford arsonal trimmer

I don't believe you can load .338LM on the Dillon 650. I was told this when I bought my Dillon. I left the store with a Dillon 550. I use it to load the .338LM. I agree with the triple beam scale over digital though.

The first step is to order a reloading book and read it several times then move onto equipment.....I suggest a Dillon 550 or a 650 and you might need a single stage press to the .338. One route to go would be the RCBS rock chucker kit and soon thereafter get a 550/650. Starting on a Dillon is not that hard but it is a little more complicated. The Rock chucker press and it has lots of the other items you need to start reloading. The base 650 is not much more than a 550 but then there is the case feeder etc. I have both a 550 and a 650, I like the 650 better but it is a little more complicated and I would not be sad if still loaded all ammo on the 550.

Your going to need good calipers and a tumbeler set up, Frankford arsenal has good stuff. As far as dies go I like Forster but you don't NEED match dies and if you are using mixed brass you will not see as much of a benefit.

There is quite a bit of other good information here already; I would suggest that you start with one pistol caliber and one rifle caliber to get things going and expand from there. You will be overwhelmed as it is picking powder, primers and bullets etc. I also suggest one pistol powder and bullet and one rifle powder and bullet to start. Do some research and you will find plenty of info on powder/primers/ loads etc. Finding these items in stock might be harder than you think.

You can spend lots and lots of money on reloading stuff without much effort, start slow, get some ammo cranked out and you will figure out what you think you "need" vs. want and what money will buy you in terms of time saved or slight increases in accuracy on target.

PS a chronograph is a good investment too.

I don't believe you can load .338LM on the Dillon 650. I was told this when I bought my Dillon. I left the store with a Dillon 550. I use it to load the .338LM. I agree with the triple beam scale over digital though.

I only load 300BLK and pistol on the Dillon for high volume! Everything else I load to match grade and do on a single stage press....In my case I have two Rock Chuckers. They are simply more sturdy than the Hornady or Lee. I have been tempted to try a Forster though.

Digital scales never give me good results...too many things affect them. The beam scale never lies. Plus I only use them for initial settings....rarely individual loads.

I'm a firm believer EVERYONE who wants to start reloading should start on a single stage press at first.

http://www.snipershide.com/[email protected]

I would like some suggestions on what to get and what to avoiding to start my reloading setup. I do not have any reloading equipment, but lots of guns. I am mostly interested in reloading 9mm, 45acp, .300 AAC blkout, .270wsm, .308, and .338Lm for starters. I want to get quality equipment that I will only need to buy 1 of (I already have too many unused/unwanted gun parts lying around). I would really like a progressive press but I am concerned about consistency, therefore I wouldn't opposed to getting both progressive and single stage presses. Also, I would like a ultrasonic cleaner and digital powder measurer. Overall, I want to be able to load accurately for some rounds and quickly for others, while purchasing the fewest amount of equipment (I know it will still be quite a few).

I have only read your opening thread post and have not read replies from others at this time.

My few cents based on my reloading experience:
1. Buy Once Cry Once - I have too many reloading items I purchased initially which where replaced by what I really needed based on what I really wanted - result wise.

2. Sounds as if you just may want to purchase both Single stage for precision loads and progressive for bulk/plinking loads.

3. I run Redding Comp dies for all my calibers, .223, .308 and .338 LM. I have not gotten around to loading for my 45 ACP.

4. Only item I have not replaced is my Lee Single Stage press. Every other item has been replaced from shell holders on up. I have been considering Forester Co-Ax. My knowledge of it is only what I have read and heard as I have no experience using it. I would go with a Dillon but they are only progressive unless someone here knows something I do not. Even though a little birdie recently told me something is being tested at this time. ;);)

5. Do not have an ultrasonic but am leaning towards same as you.

I shoot for best/extreme accuracy I can get so I go with higher end dies, shell holders et cetera. So depending on your needs, even per caliber, By Once Cry Once. I have eight, no longer use, boxes of various RCBS dies for .223, .308 and .338 LM sitting in my lab. Not saying RCBS dies are bad but the green box dies I purchased were not sufficient for what I was loading goals. I would not trade my Redding Comp dies for anything. They all work flawlessly. I also saw an immediate difference in my physical loads along with their results once switching.

Side note: I jammed one one of my Redding Comp dies and sent back to Redding. They fixed and had back in mail same day they received. Customer service was on point.

I see reloading as allowing me to find a more accurate load for my rigs, as well as, allows me opportunity to shoot more. If I had not started reloading prior I would not have shot much after December 2012. Because of reloading and purchasing in bulk I have been shooting for past year and a half without any worries. I purchase Powder and Primers in bulk. Powder either 1 or 2 kegs at a time and primers 5k to 10k of same lot at a clip and I am good for a long time - no worries. At rate I pull trigger I have a few years to many worth of trigger time.

I am sure there is more but above is what flew out of my had after being up for a few hours this morning.

Safe shooting...

The best thing to do is go to a friend's place who reloads, have him show you how he does it and loan you enough stuff to do it.
The next best thing is to watch youtube videos and buy the cheapest stuff possible and try it for a while.

I have been buying reloading equipment and supplies ~~ once a week mail order for 15 years.
I have 2,000 ~ 4,000 pounds of stuff and only use 5% of it.

You won't know what reloading stuff you want until you find your own reloading style.

The best thing to do is go to a friend's place who reloads, have him show you how he does it and loan you enough stuff to do it.
The next best thing is to watch youtube videos and buy the cheapest stuff possible and try it for a while.

I have been buying reloading equipment and supplies ~~ once a week mail order for 15 years.
I have 2,000 ~ 4,000 pounds of stuff and only use 5% of it.

You won't know what reloading stuff you want until you find your own reloading style.

This is good advice.

But so is Tristain's , buy once cry once, as long as you what you want. There's no reason to buy a 100.00 beam scale if it's a Charge Master you want?

Asking another guy what reloading equipment he likes is like asking what jeans or underwear someone prefers.

My chargemaster with brass powder tube insert from SH member and reprogramming of the High and Medium speed times works fantastic. Ive checked charges with beam for a while and it was on each time. I drop to 0.3gr with Chargemaster then trickle with Omega II to desired charge.

I've found a charge master, rockchucker, an electric case trimmer, prep center, and Hornady lock n load AP press to he what works well for me. I'd love a Dillon 1050, but getting it set up was beyond my budget. I caught the Hornady on sale along with the free bullets that I would have bought anyway. It came out to less than $200 considering.

I still tumble brass.

For precision, I use redding type S full length dies and Forster Benchrest seating dies. I'm making good ammo with my setup and it's affordable and efficient for me.

Also learn to anneal your brass.

Before you buy anything try to make friends with a reloader locally. Also watch you tube and READ.

Quality of components is paramount. Use a good, appropriate powder, same stamp (same lot if possible) brass. Never mix lots of powder. Keep good records! Quality measuring equipment is a must. Never load tired or sleepy. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started reloading when I bought my dillon 650. I had 0 experience reloading before I bought the 650. I spent plenty of time reading and doing research on brianenos.com before I bought the 650. I load 9mm, 40, 10mm, 45acp, .223, and .300aac.

I load my .260rem for my precision rifle using L E Wilson hand dies and an rcbs charge master for the powder. I have a redding type s full length busing die I use for when I have to full length size 260. At that point, I'll run my 260 brass on the dillon with the redding die.

Gentlemen, thank you for the informative responses. I have been doing some reading and research, but obviously I have much more to do. I will start with a single stage and build up to the progressive press (likely a Dillon 550). Here is what I am thinking of starting with (excluding the smalls i.e. shell holders, funnels, etc).

Rockchucker Supreme Press
Chargemaster
Omega II Trickler
Trumbler Tumbler
Hornady Magnum Ultrasonic Cleaner
Redding Dies
Frankford Arsenal Case Prep & Trim System

Thats a good list to start with. You also need a good set of calipers, and I would get the Hornady Headspace gauges and Comparator gauges.

Also, you wont need the Ultrasonic if you Tumble in SS. I do dry tumble mine in Corn cob after removing from ss wet tumbling, rinsing and blowing out with air h
Compressor. I do the dry tumble just to be sure they are dry. Not a spec of dirt left on them.

Last edited:
Also look into Satern funnels when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should have left the ultrasonic off the list. I'm getting it for cleaning gun parts, not planning on using it reloading purposes.

Saturn funnels have been added to the list.