• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What reticle for sporting clays?

hlee

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 14, 2012
    TX
    And, the more important question; Mil or MOA?

I was perusing the scores from the NSCA National tournament- seeing how my son’s score is stacking up against the field in his class. It’s an unspoken competition amongst the kids on his team, so there are a bunch of scores to look up- across all classes. Anyhoo, a name I generally don’t associate with clays shooting popped up.

DF390E3F-42CB-47B0-9002-1F45AD402648.jpg

And in case you’re wondering, yes the course in the 3rd column is a mofo.

Whether it’s rifles or pistols or shotguns or muzzleloaders, get out from behind the computer and burn some powder. And, good luck to all of the competitors at Nationals. It’s windy AF here today and I’m betting it’s about the same in SA.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
    The only value in a main and mid bead is a reference to know if something in your setup has changed (i.e. comb or other adjustment, including getting fat, changes). For shooting, use the force (or whatever you call everything you have learned about shooting clays without conscious thought). If you read the target line and have the right hold point you are on a pretty good path to success.

So, did everyone miss the Todd Hodnett reference?

No, he's been shooting clays locally for a while now.

Must be really tough. Typically B shooters will break 80+ to win here.

Must be really tough. Typically B shooters will break 80+ to win here.
    Nationals is a tougher set of courses than you see at a typical NSCA shoot. That said, there are 3 rotations. Sat-Sun, Mon-Tue, and Thur-Sun. Most shooters are shooting the final rotation, so the top still has the opportunity for some movement.That said, last year’s b class top ten scores ranged from 222-241. And, we had a cold from move through on Monday- the wind may have been a significant factor on Tuesday.

I was perusing the scores from the NSCA National tournament- seeing how my son’s score is stacking up against the field in his class. It’s an unspoken competition amongst the kids on his team, so there are a bunch of scores to look up- across all classes. Anyhoo, a name I generally don’t associate with clays shooting popped up.

View attachment 7983727

Whether it’s rifles or pistols or shotguns or muzzleloaders, get out from behind the computer and burn some powder. And, good luck to all of the competitors at Nationals. It’s windy AF here today and I’m betting it’s about the same in SA.

You talk about it being windy. This past weekend we had steady winds of 30+ with gusts over 50. Fantastic time to bust some clays in the back yard right.

You had about a half a sec tossing the clay with the wind, about the same cross wind. Tossing it into the wind.....ever toss a frisbee into the air at an angle it would come back to you.....yea about that. I am betting the clays made it about 30 feet from the machine. We started shooting the bits flying off the clay. It was actually quite fun. They would go up and just hang then come back to you. I bet if you ran out there you could catch them after they got launched.

Nationals is a tougher set of courses than you see at a typical NSCA shoot. That said, there are 3 rotations. Sat-Sun, Mon-Tue, and Thur-Sun. Most shooters are shooting the final rotation, so the top still has the opportunity for some movement.That said, last year’s b class top ten scores ranged from 222-241. And, we had a cold from move through on Monday- the wind may have been a significant factor on Tuesday.
    I've heard about TX shoots. Son shot down in middle GA where some guy from TX came to set targets. A lot of really long shots! Shot cmp talladega the other day and IC would break everything on their red course. If shooting one choke I'll use an IC or LM and have no problems having enough choke anywhere I've shot in NGA. The clays here are setup for trickery. A lot of use of terrain or birds that turn.

View attachment 7983727

Todd Hodnett?

OK..........