• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Rifle and Sights for Long Range Rimfire?

Rolltide

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2003
East Tennessee
www.rimfiretactical.com
I shoot in a local match where we shoot silhouettes from 80 yards out to 200 yards. All of the shooting is done from a bench and almost always using bipods instead of a front rest.

Typically, we shoot several matches, including:
Unlimited Class, where anything goes
Tactical Class, which is similar to Unlimited except the scope magnification can't be turned higher than 16X
Sporter Class, which is similar to Tactical except the barrel must have a taper to it
Semi-Auto
Magnum, can be a 22 WMR or 17 HMR...but no 17 WSM

An iron sight match has been talked about and I want to either set up one of my rifles for it...or buy one.

I've been debating on either a Remington 40X, a Winchester 52B or possibly even a 54 Anschutz of some sort.

I don't have any experience shooting with irons, but I've heard a few horror stories of shooters trying to dial the elevation on a rear sight to 200 and having a hard time doing so.

What rifle would you recommend for this type of shooting? I'd prefer magazine-fed over a single shot, but there is enough time to use either.

I've got several rimfires...from Anschutz and Coopers to Sako's and Vudoo's. CZ's, Remington 541's, and a bunch of others...

I've even got a Winchester 52B...but the barrel has been shortened so I'm not sure how I can add a front sight and no idea what to use for a rear sight...

If you've read this far...I appreciate the patience to read through my rambling!

So...what rifle and sight combo would you recommend?

Is this the match in Saltville? If peep sights are allowed, that's what would use. I have Williams peep sights on my CZ 452 Super Exclusive and it increase my sight radius substantially, over 12" I'd say. Regardless, I'd use whatever I had with a peep rear.

Reactions: Rolltide
40x will do just fine! the sights are the Rub $$$ wise.
I personally like the PWN rear sights, and a Scott Riles front. Then you add the the Gehman irises front&rear.
I've found the best way to get your hands on good irons is to shop around for a Camp Perry AR Space gun for <$1300, nab the sights and flip the AR back out into the market for 1k-$1100, cost to you is pennies on the dollar for the sights.

Reactions: Rolltide
Is this the match in Saltville? If peep sights are allowed, that's what would use. I have Williams peep sights on my CZ 452 Super Exclusive and it increase my sight radius substantially, over 12" I'd say. Regardless, I'd use whatever I had with a peep rear.
Yes sir, that's the match!

I don't have a single rifle with irons except for a Winchester 1885 High Grade. It might work, but I don't really want to go that route...

It is the Saltville match. Come out and shoot with us. 3rd Sat. each month. https://nfscinc.com

If you want a repeater consider a 52C. If SS okay
a D or E will shoot right with the 40X
Any decent set of sights will get you out to 200. Redfield or the modern ones. Even the old Lyman’s work well enough for me.
Something about getting off a good shot with Irons is satisfying.

Reactions: Topstrap
I have an Anschutz 64 MPR with iron sights that is a blast to shoot. It's equipped with the Anschutz front and rear sights. The aperture for the front sight is adjustable; which I highly recommend. It's a lot easier to adjust than to keep swapping inserts.

The farthest that I can shoot is 210 yards as that's the most elevation that I can get with it. At 100 yards, prone, I've been able to hit a golf ball size target about 50% of the time, with good lighting conditions.

These targets were shot at 100 yards. I might have been able to achieve smaller groups if it weren't for the dark interior of the bunker. We are only permitted to shoot steel targets hung inside of a bunker. The insides are blacker than night so the black circle of the aperture blends in with the surroundings. Otherwise it's fun to shoot steel with iron sights.

IMG_3567.jpg
IMG_3562.jpg