• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What rifle is george gardner using in PRS

Cody S

Not A Scammer
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
Hazard, Kentucky
I know he uses the 6.5 Gap4s but I'm wondering what action, stock, magazines, and barrel/barrel length he went with. I'm looking to start making a wish list for my next gun and the way I shoot wind is a HUGE factor so the magnum would help with that and I could still use it in comps if I ever get back into them.
if you had your pick of any action/stock/magazine to run this kind of setup what would it be?

i know he uses the 135 JLK VLD because the guy at swampworks told me they were designed for him for that purpose and I have purchased a few to run through my creedmoor to see how they stack up.
thanks all

Last edited:
This is not a good idea. Who cares what George (or anyone on Team GAP) shoots. You think wearing pro model basketball shoes will make you shoot a basketball better? You need to learn and practice the wind. You need less recoil (not more). You need to practice positional shooting if you want to compete.

If you really want to get better at PRS type shooting? Get a 223 trainer and shoot a truckload of ammo. George is a middle-of the-pack shooter. Why not ask what, or better yet, how, is Jake Vibbert shooting? You cannot buy hits, you gotta earn them.

Reactions: Parkerized 1
Why not ask what, or better yet, how, is Jake Vibbert shooting?

A darn good point. For the record Vibbert is shooting a 6 BRX. The rest of the top 5 in PRS are shooting 6 Dasher or a mix of Dasher and 6x47. All of them are about as far away from a 6.5 GAP 4s as you can get, but you can bet they will beat you in the wind.

Don't chase ballistics, go after what shoots accurately and consistently and what is easy to shoot accurately and consistently.

On the other hand, its this guys money......he can spend it on whatever he wants, he will figure out what works for him.

Why not call Ken over at GAP and ask him what George shoots?

The other poster was right though, GAP 4S Tempest action, Bartlien barrel, Manners Stock, Bushnell glass.....but I believe the mags are Accurate or Alpha.

the issue with Jake is, it's become his full time job to shoot these competitions. He made the decision this is gonna be his thing.

It's a time commitment not too many people have. That said, with each Series now adding more and more money to the pot, if you can make the transition, you can probably afford to do it if you are good enough. Especially with the PRS sweetening the pot to $50k for the year, win the season get $25k, win the finale get $25.

But he shoots an LRI ...

6mm is the way to go. Nearly everyone in the top 10 has a 6mm of one flavor or another.

I wanted something to buck the unpredictable winds of where I shoot. We shoot across mountains where there is no solid way to tell how it's going to blow your first round.
i have a creedmoor gun I would probably use for competitions, I just figured george gardner had his 6.5 aaum figured out and I wanted to know what action/dbm/magazine would work best.
My choice already is a 6.5 creed in a mausingfield and kmw sentinel chasis. I may switch to a 6mm creedmoor if I ever buy a 6.5 saum.

I wanted something to buck the unpredictable winds of where I shoot. We shoot across mountains where there is no solid way to tell how it's going to blow your first round..

I feel your pain, where I shoot is the same way with open valleys and ridge to ridge shooting with minimal cues to read the wind. 4 mils of wind to 950 yards last week, and that wasn't even a bad day.

That being said, I sold my 280AI so I could build another Dasher, lol. You're going to miss first round either way, why not get a solid wind call and make that second round hit. :)

That's the truth sheldon.
thanks all, you have given me more to think about. And actually if I did it I would probably go with another mausingfield and an MPA chassis, I just need to figure out which DBM and bottom metal I would want if I built one, I just wanted to know what someone who used the cartridge in competitions went with.

I feel your pain, where I shoot is the same way with open valleys and ridge to ridge shooting with minimal cues to read the wind. 4 mils of wind to 950 yards last week, and that wasn't even a bad day.

That being said, I sold my 280AI so I could build another Dasher, lol. You're going to miss first round either way, why not get a solid wind call and make that second round hit. :)

That is a very astute observation. But with that being said, run the numbers.....with a 10 MPH full value wind my Dasher with 105's moving at 2945 gives up only a .10th to my 6 Creed running 110s at 3100 FPS. I cant judge the wind within a .10th.

Not true, 6.5 x 47 has a very strong showing in the top competitors of PRS.

Take a look at the current top 10 shooters and those that have placed in the top 10 recently. The majority are currently shooting 6mm of one flavor or another. If you have a chat with them, most would echo this sentiment.

Youre right.....Wow, there has been a lot of shifting going on.....hell, only Jerry Karloff shoots a 6.5 x 47 that I know of. Damn, there is a lot of Dasher action going on at the top. Vibbert, both Allen's, Shannon Kay and probably more.

Yeah, all the cool kids are doing it. You can add Preston, Brosseau, and Pynch to the Dasher list, though I think a couple of those guys shoot 6x47 here and there too.

Yeah, I thought Preston was shooting 6x47.....but who knows. Hah, everyone laughed at me over a year ago for switching to Dasher.

Jake shot a 6.5x47 in NM PRS match, and won by a large margin. Using plain jane stock, no fancy barricade stops or tripod mounts. I get caught up in caliber choice just like a lot of shooters. But I honestly think shooting any good 6 or 6.5 will work fine. Lots of practice and having solid dope/wind calls, and not making mental mistakes is more important IMHO.

Reactions: Parkerized 1
Yeah I have a 6.5 creed for prs and practice I just really want a magnum but I'm a bit recoil sensitive so I'm looking hard at the 6.5 saum