• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What ring height for Vortex 4.5-27 & AI AT?

Luke

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 29, 2002
    Colorado
    Anybody who has an AI AT with 20MOA low rail, and is running the Vortex 4.5-27x56, what's the lowest ring height I can get away with?

I have a R700 in an AICS AT. I would not run the lowest you can go. I currently have the Badger Medium High (1.125" to center) rings and they are too low for the stock. I had to re-work the cheek riser to make it lower than it can possibly go (with no AI spacers) to get my eye in the correct place. The days of getting your scoop as low as possible is old-school thinking when hunters needed to get a cheek weld on stocks that were not adjustable.

If it were me, I'd look at the higher rings that are about 1.4" to 1.5" to center.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Basher
    I would not run the lowest you can go. I currently have the Badger Medium High (1.125" to center) rings and they are too low for the stock. I had to re-work the cheek riser to make it lower than it can possibly go (with no AI spacers) to get my eye in the correct place. The days of getting your scoop as low as possible is old-school thinking when hunters needed to get a cheek weld on stocks that were not adjustable.

If it were me, I'd look at the higher rings that are about 1.4" to 1.5" to center.
    If you have trouble getting your shoulder pocket right because of the lower rings, the AI target adj butplate is helpful as it can be adjusted down. Ran across that issue myself.

IMG_6898.JPG

If you have trouble getting your shoulder pocket right because of the lower rings, the AI target adj butplate is helpful as it can be adjusted down. Ran across that issue myself.

Good tip, I'll give it a shot. My pic above is before I removed the bottom plate from the cheek riser and put it back together with different bolts. I'll see if I can get a pic tonight.

EDIT - That is a really old pic...I have an Atlas now and a Triggertech trigger