• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What ring height?

HateLiberals

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2023
America
I am building a new gun and getting a Burris xtriii 3.3-18. If I get the xtr rings they seem to come in different heights. How do I know which one is correct? It is a manners PH stock and Bighorn Origin long action. The barrel is a bartlein m24 contour. Thanks

1.25-1.35 is normally the safe bet. A little tougher without an adjustable cheek.

Look up the ARC penny test

Reactions: Taylorbok
I am building a new gun and getting a Burris xtriii 3.3-18. If I get the xtr rings they seem to come in different heights. How do I know which one is correct? It is a manners PH stock and Bighorn Origin long action. The barrel is a bartlein m24 contour. Thanks

With that 50mm objective you can use a .92" if you wanted real low or go to a 1". Below is a pic for reference of a Bighorn TL3 short action and a 56mm objective scope on a 1.34" height rings and a Comp Contour barrel which is heavier than the M24.

IMG_3096.jpg

It all depends on you and how you like it setup and what you plan on using it for. If you have a adjustable cheek piece it gives you the ability to fit it to you. It also depends on what you are going to use the gun for. A hunting rifle I want it to fit me. As for an ELR gun like it or not the scope has to be above what I find comfortable. Than I do the best I can to fit the rifle to me. When ELR shooting it does no good to have the barrel getting in the way of the target because the scope is too low.
NDR

I pretty much put a 1.3-1.5" on everything, my are need a 1.7 maybe 1.9 to colaminate the thermal clip on.

Here is my origin with a proof comp with my 3-18 xtr3 with its included caps sitting on 1.1” rings
IMG_2658.jpeg

It’s not overly low and it’s not overly high. Personally I wouldn’t go higher, you can see my cheek piece is up a bit plus a wiebad on it.

Reactions: wade2big
Yeah I wouldn’t go higher than that either especially with the stock he has not having an adjustable comb. He can use a stock pack and build it up some if needed though.

I’m building an almost identical build. Same scope and stock, except I’m on a Ti3 action.

I’m wanting to run the Hawkins ultralight tactical rings in low height which is .885. I’m praying it fits. running 1” now and have plenty of room but I need it lower to accommodate my cheek-weld.

What did you end up with, how much room do you have left?

Thanks for all the replies. I haven't bought the scope yet. I have three builds going and had to pay for another manners stock when it came in plus I'm in the middle of hockey travel season so I'm pinched right now. This will 100% help me though as now I know what height I can use.

Keep in mind because of the relatively overall short length of the 3-18 and lengths of the scope in front of and behind the turret housing that the angled portion of the objective housing can sometimes interfere with the front of the scope rail on a short action if the rings are too low.

Look at the picture in post #6, if those rings were lower the objective housing would probably hit the front of the scope rail.

On a long action where the rail extends further forward it's going to be a real concern, and might require taller rings to keep the objective clear of the scope rail... which might make getting a solid cheek rest difficult as your PH stock doesn't have an adjustable cheek rest.

Keep in mind because of the relatively overall short length of the 3-18 and lengths of the scope in front of and behind the turret housing that the angled portion of the objective housing can sometimes interfere with the front of the scope rail on a short action if the rings are too low.

Look at the picture in post #6, if those rings were lower the objective housing would probably hit the front of the scope rail.

On a long action where the rail extends further forward it's going to be a real concern, and might require taller rings to keep the objective clear of the scope rail... which might make getting a solid cheek rest difficult as your PH stock doesn't have an adjustable cheek rest.
This is the exact issue I’m running into. Going to try finding some rings local to try before buying.

You can always trim or shave down the base if you run into that issue and needed the scope lower. Easy fix.

You can always trim or shave down the base if you run into that issue and needed the scope lower. Easy fix.

Remember the OP is putting it on a long action, and that transition to the objective is probably going to sit right over where the front of the rail bolts to the action... trimming the rail may not be an option as it can be on a short action with an extended rail.

Possibly not but possibly also. Just wanted to let him know. People do it on long actions also.