• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What rings for Hensoldt 3-12 FF

rommel500

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2009
SLO,CA
I am considering going with the Hensoldt 3-12 for my hunting / target rifle. What rings to people recommend for the Hensoldt 3-12? This would be going on my Savage Precision Carbine which is a thicker profile barrel. Would the rings be so high I wouldn't get a good check weld? Anybody run them with butler creek type caps on them as well?

TIA!

Re: What rings for Hensoldt 3-12 FF

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rommel500</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am considering going with the Hensoldt 3-12 for my hunting / target rifle. What rings to people recommend for the Hensoldt 3-12? This would be going on my Savage Precision Carbine which is a thicker profile barrel. Would the rings be so high I wouldn't get a good check weld? Anybody run them with butler creek type caps on them as well?

TIA! </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold">Badger 306-14</span> (1.0" High from top-of-rail to ring centerline) will work fine. High enough to allow the 56mm objective to clear your heavy barrel with the Butler Creeks', but not too high. <span style="font-style: italic">George Mac</span> is selling a brand new pair for <span style="text-decoration: line-through">$150.00</span> $140.00 shipped in his "<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Badger 34mm rings PN 306-14</span></span>" thread.shipped in his "<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Badger 34mm rings PN 306-14</span></span>" thread. Good deal.

<span style="font-weight: bold">EDIT:</span> <span style="font-style: italic">George Mac</span> has dropped his price to $140.00 shipped in his "<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Badger 34mm rings PN 306-14</span></span>" thread. Good deal for 34mm Badgers!

Keith

IDK where to get rings for good "check" weld lol jk. Badgers should be just fine.

Seekins low 34mm rings are the lowest available and will clear the 56mm bell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rommel500</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am considering going with the Hensoldt 3-12 for my hunting / target rifle. What rings to people recommend for the Hensoldt 3-12? This would be going on my Savage Precision Carbine which is a thicker profile barrel. Would the rings be so high I wouldn't get a good check weld? Anybody run them with butler creek type caps on them as well?

TIA! </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold">Badger 306-14</span> (1.0" High from top-of-rail to ring centerline) will work fine. High enough to allow the 56mm objective to clear your heavy barrel with the Butler Creeks', but not too high. <span style="font-style: italic">George Mac</span> is selling a brand new pair for $150.00 shipped in his "<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Badger 34mm rings PN 306-14</span></span>" thread. Good deal.

Keith </div></div>

Do you know if the Badger 306-75's USMC rings would work as well?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rommel500</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rommel500</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am considering going with the Hensoldt 3-12 for my hunting / target rifle. What rings to people recommend for the Hensoldt 3-12? This would be going on my Savage Precision Carbine which is a thicker profile barrel. Would the rings be so high I wouldn't get a good check weld? Anybody run them with butler creek type caps on them as well?

TIA! </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold">Badger 306-14</span> (1.0" High from top-of-rail to ring centerline) will work fine. High enough to allow the 56mm objective to clear your heavy barrel with the Butler Creeks', but not too high. <span style="font-style: italic">George Mac</span> is selling a brand new pair for $150.00 shipped in his "<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Badger 34mm rings PN 306-14</span></span>" thread. Good deal.

Keith </div></div>

Do you know if the Badger 306-75's USMC rings would work as well? </div></div>
Badger specs their 306-14 and 306-75 rings as 1.0" high, so <span style="font-style: italic">heightwise</span> the 306-14 and 306-75 rings are equivalent to each other.

However, the 306-75 rings are a 6/4 screw configuration (the Front ring uses six screws to secure the top half of the ring top to the lower half of the ring, while the Rear ring uses four screws to secure the top half of the ring top to the lower half of the ring). To accomodate the additional two (2) screws the Front ring is correspondingly wider than the Rear ring, which also makes it heavier. The 306-75 ring set is spec'ed at 11.0 oz.

The 306-14 rings are a 4/4 screw configuration (both the Front and Rear rings use four screws to secure the top half of the ring top to the lower half of the ring), so the Front and Rear rings are the same width. The 306-75 ring set pair is spec'ed at 8.6 oz., so they are about 2.4 oz. lighter than the (11.0 oz.) 306-75s'.

The only question is if the wider front ring of the 306-75 will allow the scope to be mounted for optimum eye relief.

Keith