• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What rings to use on a 34mm tube?

NoExpert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2009
Riverside, CA
I've been looking all around at 34mm rings and with several options I'm not sure what way to go. I want them to be light weight so aluminum is my first choice. I'm also locked into a specific height range being 1.02" to 1.125" (rail to scope center). With my searching so far I've found these:

Ken Farrell
TPS TSR
American Rifle Co.
Badger Ordnance (may have been discontinued)

Looking for opinions/suggestions. I would really like to stay away from steel rings, this rifle isn't going to war, in fact it'll be lucky to go hunting. Mostly used for range shooting and carrying on hikes (why I'm trying to cut weight).

Re: What rings to use on a 34mm tube?

Go with the Badgers first, Farrels second. I've never used American Rifle company, and have TPS rings break, so I'd avoid them.

Badger still makes plenty of 34mm rings. Additionally, there are the Spuhr rings, the Spuhr mounts, the AI Mounts, and USO rings to name a few.

I love the Spuhr mount, but thats just me. They have one in 1.18 height and can come with built in MOA.

My first recommendation would be the Seekins rings. I have a set of 34mm low rings and they are really nice. Elegant design, holds firm, rugged, and impeccable machining with all edges rounded nicely. Besides Seekins, some of the optics vendors that support SH also stock Seekins products.

Finally, I wouldn't shy away from the TPS steel rings, I've not heard any reports of problems with them. I have two sets of 34mm TPS steel rings, and they work just fine with no lapping.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with the Badgers first, Farrels second. I've never used American Rifle company, and have TPS rings break, so I'd avoid them.

Badger still makes plenty of 34mm rings. Additionally, there are the Spuhr rings, the Spuhr mounts, the AI Mounts, and USO rings to name a few.

I love the Spuhr mount, but thats just me. They have one in 1.18 height and can come with built in MOA.

</div></div>

I looked into the Spuhr rings and mount, nice stuff but really more than I need and a bit higher than I like. My rifle has a fixed cheek riser so I'm really locked into the height. I'm trying to find the Badgers, SWFA has them listed but that's as Russian Roulette as it gets with ordering online. I sent Ken Farrell an e-mail for more info on his rings, just trying to make an informed decision. Since I'm being a weight weenie with the rings I'm avoiding full mount setups.

Definitely appreciate the info. Looks like it may come down to finding BO's or getting the Farrell rings.

I have a set of the American Rifle Co. M3 rings on my NF and they have been great. I would recomend them.

I recently took the scope off of the rifle to send it back for a little work. There were no ring marks at all on my scope. That helped sell me on them.

Also I like that the sleek design that doesn't obstruct any line of sight to the scope turrets. Just my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Jason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My first recommendation would be the Seekins rings. I have a set of 34mm low rings and they are really nice. Elegant design, holds firm, rugged, and impeccable machining with all edges rounded nicely. Besides Seekins, some of the optics vendors that support SH also stock Seekins products.

Finally, I wouldn't shy away from the TPS steel rings, I've not heard any reports of problems with them. I have two sets of 34mm TPS steel rings, and they work just fine with no lapping. </div></div>

Seekins won't work with my setup. 1" is too low and 1.4" is way too high. I'd go with them if they had a set in the height range I needed, I really like their rings.

Call Leupold and get a set of the Mark 4 34mm they are the ticket...

But what would I know
wink.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">Mike
Tac Ops</span>

Another question, I plan to run aluminum rings, I've heard all sorts of things about lapping them; do it, don't do it, do it very little, only do it on a Tuesday full moon...

What's the deal? I'm a huge fan of lapping rings just to be sure everything is true. If I lap them should I put some aluminum black on them right after? Since I plan to buy quality rings I'm hoping there will be next to no lapping needed so I won't even get through the hard anodizing, just scuff it a little. Opinions on this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoExpert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My first recommendation would be the Seekins rings. I have a set of 34mm low rings and they are really nice. Elegant design, holds firm, rugged, and impeccable machining with all edges rounded nicely. Besides Seekins, some of the optics vendors that support SH also stock Seekins products.

Finally, I wouldn't shy away from the TPS steel rings, I've not heard any reports of problems with them. I have two sets of 34mm TPS steel rings, and they work just fine with no lapping. </div></div>

Seekins won't work with my setup. 1" is too low and 1.4" is way too high. I'd go with them if they had a set in the height range I needed, I really like their rings. </div></div>

I'm not sure where you're getting your Seekins heights but their website says their 34mm lows are .92" and highs are .97". I have a set of Seekins 34mm highs and a set of BADGER Ordinance 34mm med high 1.0" - both never used if you want to PM me.

I thought i needed higher rings than i did with a 56mm S&B PMII but i ended up with Seekins lows and never got around to returning the other rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Notso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure where you're getting your Seekins heights but their website says their 34mm lows are .92" and highs are .97". I have a set of Seekins 34mm highs and a set of BADGER Ordinance 34mm med high 1.0" - both never used if you want to PM me.

I thought i needed higher rings than i did with a 56mm S&B PMII but i ended up with Seekins lows and never got around to returning the other rings. </div></div>

SWFA has some other sizes available for Seekins 34mm than what Seekins' site lists. Anything lower than 1.02" is too low for my setup. Appreciate the offer though.

Hi
We makes the mounts in 3 basic heights for picatinny.
Separate rings 1" high
Unimounts 1,18" and 1,45"

We used to make à 1,1" version and there is à few 34mm left.

Håkan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi
We makes the mounts in 3 basic heights for picatinny.
Separate rings 1" high
Unimounts 1,18" and 1,45"

We used to make à 1,1" version and there is à few 34mm left.

Håkan </div></div>

1.1" rings or mount?

1,1" unimount.
The reason why we ended produce that heigh is that it didnt work with SB5-25 and also the Premier had problems with it.
It works great with SB3-12 and 4-16.
The issues with SB5-25 and Premier was the housing for the turrets , there isent enough room for it.

Håkan

On a gun that can have unimounts, I prefer that.
Its a very rugged mount, there is the patented solution for getting the scope leveled, and there is a bigger bubble level than in the rings.

Håkan

I don't doubt that the mount is top quality, I'm just not really looking for a mount.

I have a feeling I'll be going with the Farrell 34mm aluminum rings. After looking at too many rings there are some features about these that stand out and I like more.

The pics of TPS aluminum rings that I've seen fail seem to break at the corner on the base. The current model Farrell rings are rounded in this area instead of having a sharp corner. Being rounded like this should increase their strength and be less likely to break.

Now I just need to get the cash so I can order them. The USO I'm ordering is draining all my funds...

Call Murphy's Precision, he is a sponsor on here. He can make you any size & height you need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Night poacher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call Murphy's Precision, he is a sponsor on here. He can make you any size & height you need.

</div></div>

I did check them out but wasn't too keen on them, lots of corners, not interested in steel and don't want to pay for titanium or extra machining costs.

Not saying they aren't good quality, just personal preference for me.

For aluminum rings you won't do better than American Rifle rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For aluminum rings you won't do better than American Rifle rings. </div></div>

I was really looking at them but I'm not digging the small hex socket screws. I've had too many strip on me in the past and prefer to avoid them now. It's not that I'm cranking on the screws, just wear from being taken on and off (switching from scope to irons and back). Another small thing that factors in is two screws/nuts are faster to remove than four. So if I want to ditch my scope I can do it a little faster with only two screws/nuts to loosen.

Just some things I've had to think about and consider...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoExpert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For aluminum rings you won't do better than American Rifle rings. </div></div>

I was really looking at them but I'm not digging the small hex socket screws. I've had too many strip on me in the past and prefer to avoid them now. It's not that I'm cranking on the screws, just wear from being taken on and off (switching from scope to irons and back). Another small thing that factors in is two screws/nuts are faster to remove than four. So if I want to ditch my scope I can do it a little faster with only two screws/nuts to loosen.

Just some things I've had to think about and consider... </div></div>
Are you talking about the cross bolts or the ring top scres?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Notso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you talking about the cross bolts or the ring top scres? </div></div>

Cross bolts.

ARC's:
two screws per ring
american-rifle-co-m3-non-marring-scope-ring.jpg

Farrell's:
one screw per ring
rings.jpg

Here's as good an explanation on the reason for the hex screws as I've seen.

Originally Posted By: TonyAngel
Are the screws hex or torx heads?

Bohem's response

3mm Hex.

From talking to the owner, he designed the screw heads to strip the hex before any damage happens to the rings/base/scope and the screws can still be removed from overtorquing with vice grips, they don't necessarily need to be machined out.

The heads don't break off before the hex strips because this way the ring is still functional in the field and will serve a user until they can be brought back to a shop or place with minor tools to replace the damaged screws.

He said he'd rather have someone over-torque them to stripping (apparently it's over 60 in-lbs to strip the head) and replace the screws under warranty than to have someone angry that the ring failed or damaged the scope or something along those lines.

It was written by the member called Bohem.

Okay, for you guys that have the ARC's, what made you initially buy them? How many rounds on them? How many times on and off the rifle?

Something else I like about the Farrell's is the recoil lug is solid side to side. Very important since my rail has a channel down the center of it. A friend chewed up a set of LaRues on my rail since the lugs weren't wide enough.

The channel is almost like the rail version of what the ARC's crown does. This kind of concerns me since it's reducing contact with the rail and I don't know where those crowns will land on my rail.

Pic of the rail from my previous setup:

IMG_0055.jpg

I may just have too many variables...

I bought the set initially because I was slightly "unbelieving" about the claims, but I was willing to make an email inquiry to the company owner and both being aerospace engineers we got along pretty well.

I've had my Gen 1 rings on and off more times than I can count. I swap my compact Nightforce between my hunting rifle and an AR that I use as a DMR rifle in comps and then reconfigure it for carbine matches.
EH- Thanks for the props on the quote, I appreciate it. Once in a while I get something clear
smile.gif

The Gen 2 rings have been off probably two dozen times without any issue.

The screws don't need to be torqued to the failure spec, I usually set them at 32inlbs on the base and 25 inlbs on the ring clamps. After all these on/offs I am not seeing the characteristic "worn out" look of hex sockets about to fail. I haven't tried to beat on the screws until they fail, so I don't know how many times you could torque them down to "candy cane tight" (allen key turns into a candy cane shape) before the screws failed but I have not seen any indicators of problems from how I treat them.

My Gen 1 rings running on the AR have somewhere around 4000 rounds on them, about 3700 of that being 223 and the rest is 300 WSM.

My Gen 2's I am around 2000 rounds mixed between 6.5-06, 30-06, and lately 7/300 WSM before I got another set to run on my Vortex Razor.

To the width of the Farrell rings, they look somewhat narrower than the ARC rings, probably by about 1/4" is my estimate from looking at the photos. The ARC rings have 2 recoil lugs on them and they spread the load out more over more space on the rail.

The Farrell rings are .34" narrower.

My biggest concern is the lugs on the ARC rings look like they end about where my rail's lugs end for the channel. That means only one side will have solid contact and in my opinion that isn't good.

I'm not saying the ARC's are bad rings, I'm saying I don't think the lug design will work with my rail design. Since my rail's lugs have about 50% of their contact area removed I'd rather have rings with lugs that go the entire distance side to side to give more and equal contact on each side of my rail's lugs.

On a side note... I talked to Marty at Badger Ordnance and the 306-63 34mm max-alloy rings I initially mentioned will be available in about 8 weeks which is perfect since I won't get my new scope for about 8 to 12 weeks. Now I think it'll come down to Farrell at 1.05" high and BO at 1.125" high.

Badger. Check with Triad Tactical. That's all I buy nowadays.

TPS screw broke in half last time I torqued it to the spec value..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black Ops</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

But what would I know
wink.gif

Tac Ops</span> </div></div>
+1, all steel!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black Ops</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

But what would I know
wink.gif

Tac Ops</span> </div></div>
+1, all steel! </div></div>

I'm not really interested in using steel rings, I was using aluminum rings on my last scope with no issues so I'd prefer to save the weight.

Since I don't want steel it makes the decision a bit more involved to make sure I buy a quality set of aluminum rings. I know many guys swear by steel rings but if there's something a quality set of aluminum rings can't handle then I doubt my scope or stock will handle it either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm saying I don't think the lug design will work with my rail design. Since my rail's lugs have about 50% of their contact area removed I'd rather have rings with lugs that go the entire distance side to side to give more and equal contact on each side of my rail's lugs.</div></div>

I'm a little unsure what you're talking about, you mean the channel down the center of the top of the rail? I have 3 EGW AL rails with that relief as well and the "crowned interface" picks them up without trouble. I can't speak to the rail that you have though as I've never measured it.

Contrary to what might seem as "more contact is better" having controlled contact patches actually works better than trying to mate 2 flat surfaces together. Is that what you're concerned about? The amount of contact from the top of the rail lug to the bottom of the ring surface?

Not trying to be difficult, perhaps it's because I'm quite tired today, is this what you're worried about?

I'm not sure I can explain it properly... but I'll try.

Here's a drawing from ARC showing the lug design:

G2-Rail_closeup_L.jpg

On the left side you can see the ring lugs are cut at an angle. I'm concerned with my rail being cut and drilled how it is that the lugs may not have enough contact. From what I've seen, an aluminum ring lug making little contact with a hardened steel base usually loses in the "who's stronger" battle.

Like I said, I'm not doubting the ARC's design, I'm just not sure they'll work on my setup.

I gotcha now. It's a valid concern, and for a while I had reservations about the same thing. My reservations were based on the fact that a lot of the lower cost stuff I had experience with was a lower grade material and not annodized to the same spec.

I don't worry about it with these rings as I have yet to see any detrimental effects from them being on aluminum and steel rails that are both "full lug'd" (now it's time to make up words...) or relieved for weight reasons.

What I have realized in working for a while now is that 2 planes contacting each other are really only contacting along a line or at least 2 points. Without bedding the rail to the rings permanently this is a reality of mechanical repeatability, which is why on lower grade materials and products they sometimes fail or deform during use/misuse/abuse.

Best of luck with however you choose to go on it, I like that rifle.

The rings I've used have either had steel lugs (cross bolts) or they were high quality (Seekins) and never had an issue. But then the recoil lug was larger giving more contact. The only ones that have had an issue were a friend's set of LaRue rings since the recoil lug is small and dead centered. The steel rail chewed up the corners pretty quick despite being quality rings and hard anodized.

I measured my rail and the top contact points are .095". Here are some better pics, this is a new rail and slightly different from the one above.

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

I really like the design of the ARC's but wish the recoil lugs were full length side to side.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best of luck with however you choose to go on it, I like that rifle. </div></div>

Thanks, I have a new US Optics SN-3 being built for it so definitely want solid rings holding it in place.

i recommend NEAR alphamount, i am not sure if they are aluminium but i definitely think they are worth having a look at. He was most helpful when i bought for my s&b 5-25x56 and i could not be happier with the mount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whippet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i recommend NEAR alphamount, i am not sure if they are aluminium but i definitely think they are worth having a look at. He was most helpful when i bought for my s&b 5-25x56 and i could not be happier with the mount. </div></div>

I gave NEAR a good long look but seems they only make rings and such from stainless steel. I'll contact them to confirm.