• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what round and barrel

shooter.dm

Minuteman
Aug 22, 2011
Magee Mississippi
what is the best 6.5 in short action that uses the .308 bolt face and the best barrel to shoot it out of ? I wont to rebarrel my .308 in 6.5 .

Re: what round and barrel

Really broad question here...

6.5 Cmreedmoor
6.5x47
6.5SLR
6.5x284

Barrel makers-
Krieger
Bartlein
Schneider
Douglas
Shilen
Hart
McGowan
Benchmark
Brux
Obermeyer
Rock Creek
I've probably forgot a lot more.

6.5 Creedmoor with a Bartlein/RockCreek/Brux combo. If I shot button barrels I would use Lilja/Schneider/Broughton.

If you don't reload and need factory ammo 6.5 Creed is the best choice. 6.5x47L would be my choice if reloading.

Barrels... The most accurate I've had were Broughton and Krieger in that order. I'm shooting Schneider right now on my Tac rifle, it's pretty good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter.dm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why the 6.5 47L over the 260 and creedmoor </div></div>Good question, the 260 is very versatile.

I was in your shoes a few months back and this is the path I chose. I am still waiting on the Surgeon 591R action and bottom metal.

IMG_4770.jpg

IMG_4773.jpg

IMG_4774.jpg

IMG_4760.jpg

IMG_4680.jpg

Untitled-6.jpg

IMG_4771.jpg

If your reloading 260 if not 6.5 creedmoore with krieger barrel. I like the 142 grn bullets.
grin.gif

The reasons why I chose the 6.5x47L:

1. My smith has a GREAT 6.5x47L reamer.

2. Case design ie. Its tough! Guys are getting 40+ reloads on their cases.

3. Very low recoil.

4. Less barrel wear than the aforementioned 6.5's.

I've had several Pac-Nor barrels and they have all been excellent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter.dm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why the 6.5 47L over the 260 and creedmoor </div></div>

I shoot 6x47 which is just necked down 6.5x47.

For me it's the quality of the brass and how long it lasts. Also I like the .059"/PPC sized flash holes, that the flash holes are drilled instead of punched and small rifle primer pockets. I'm still shooting the same brass I bought 5 years ago. lost count how many reloading cycles they've been through.

This is only my opinion but If I were to use a 260 I'd run it in a long action and have it throated long to take advantage of the extra powder capacity. I'd still be using Lapua brass BTW.

A friend has a 6.5 Creed. It's a good case design. I'm watching to see how long it lasts.

Locally 6.5 has been easier to find ammo for, and is less harsh on barrels compared to a 6.5-284 where as the 260 supposedly needs a long action to reap its benefits.

Barrel you can't go wrong with a bartlein or schneider imo. Shot a couple douglas barrels that were excellent to minus a fuck up at the smith that pitted the inside to the point where one would think it would hold minute of dinner plate but still ended up being a laser.

Many of the 6.5 cartridges are tough to load to magazine length (in a short action) AND touching the lands for best accuracy. The 6.5x47L stands out as the shortest cartridge and therefore best at fixing this issue. Benchrest records have already been set with it, so it is plenty accurate. The only chink, IMHO, is the small primer. This may help accuracy in most conditions....except when it gets cold...probably not the ideal cartridge in that case. Then again, you could simply switch to a magnum SR primer to address this issue. Bottom line, my vote would be 6.5x47 Lapua

Also, if you want maximum velocity, this is not your cartridge. Max velocity doesn't win matches though.
smile.gif

Blackhawk41, thats new to me, don't think I know anyone who feels that a 260 needs to be built on long action to reap its benefits. Scooter never actually had a rifle that liked the bullets touching the lands, my 260's are no exceptions jumping everything that I feed them, using Seekins Dbm with AI and standard Alpha mags. My vote is for the 260 if you didn't already know, but I will say its a toss up. I do agree with you, accuracy wins matches not velocity, a lot of folks forget that.