• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What Scope And Mount Is Suitable For A SCAR 17S

samnev

First Sargeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 16, 2010
    Surprise, AZ
    A friend of mine recently got a SCAR 17S and is in a quandary over what scope and mount to put on his SCAR 17S. He forwarded me a reply a person posted on the FN SCAR board from ADM stating that their Recon Cantilever mount was not recommended for the SCAR 17S due to the 17S recoil impulse. But recommended the ADM Delta. citing that the cantilever mount would vibrate due to the 17S recoil impulse and cause accuracy problems. He is also concerned about the SCAR 17S reputation of being hard on scopes. So he asked me to query the hide members for their opinion on what scope and mount would be best to use on the SCAR 17S. He would like to keep the scope and mount combo around $2000 +/-. I told him the scope I had used, the TA11H-308 3.5x35 Scope, Dual Illumination with the Red Horseshoe, when I owned one but never could get it to shoot acceptable 100 yard groups so it would be best to ask the Hide members for help. Most of his shooting would be less than 600 yards. I did recommend getting the Geissele Super Scar trigger which is what I should have done with mine.
    Thanks guys.

Last edited:
    I have the ADM Delta mount (not on a SCAR) and it is a very nice mount. So that's one part of the puzzle.

Scope - I would get something rugged and appropriate for the up to 600 yards usage. My first choice would be a Nightforce 2.5-10x, either 32mm or 42mm objective. Good magnification range, top quality, very rugged.

If he doesn't want that, I would consider the 3.5-15x50mm Nightforce NXS options (standard or F1, but F1 will break the budget), or other top quality scopes like Steiner Military, etc.

My one mod on the scar17 was a giessele trigger. It is a bit on the light side for my taste though. I am running a nightforce 2.5-10x24 in a GDI mount. Probably overkill, but I wanted something tough and dependable. Mine shoots MOA or better depending on ammo. Love it.

A friend of mine recently got a SCAR 17S and is in a quandary over what scope and mount to put on his SCAR 17S. He forwarded me a reply a person posted on the FN SCAR board from ADM stating that their Recon Cantilever mount was not recommended for the SCAR 17S due to the 17S recoil impulse. But recommended the ADM Delta. citing that the cantilever mount would vibrate due to the 17S recoil impulse and cause accuracy problems. He is also concerned about the SCAR 17S reputation of being hard on scopes. So he asked me to query the hide members for their opinion on what scope and mount would be best to use on the SCAR 17S. He would like to keep the scope and mount combo around $2000 +/-. I told him the scope I had used, the TA11H-308 3.5x35 Scope, Dual Illumination with the Red Horseshoe, when I owned one but never could get it to shoot acceptable 100 yard groups so it would be best to ask the Hide members for help. Most of his shooting would be less than 600 yards.
    Thanks guys.

I use the Vortex razor gen 2 razor 1-6 in a Warne ramp mount for my 17s. Has held up well although, the Warne mount would not be my first choice, I bought it that way. I think one of the vendors on here has a special for the vortex with a spuhr mount. Cantilever mount was not necessary. This setup works fine for me to 600 yards. Much past that I find myself wanting more magnification.

I've been in this boat for a few years trying to figure out what I want for my 17s as well.

I started out with a Bobro 34mm mount and a Bushy 1-8.5, but had my first scope come with mold in the tube that was then exchanged for a new scope. The new scope was good, but not wholly what I was expecting so I sent that back with the bulletproof warranty. Bushnell's CS by the way is fantastic.

I then went in the direction of a SWFA 3-15 with a Alamo4Star 30mm mount. The mount was a bit rough, I believe the anodizing was too much at the insides of the rings which caused some scope marring. I ended up taking some 600grit waterproof sandpaper and just lightly going over the highspots which makes it just fine now. The first time I took out my SWFA 3-15 I was having some issues getting it hold a zero, so I thought I was going to send it back and get another. Well before I sent it back I retorqued everything and took it back out to the range, it held just fine. Also, I was able to get some 4 shot groups that were about 1-1.25" @100m with the Federal 168OTMs, so I was pleasantly surprised by that.

However, I decided that the 3x might be too much starting power for this rifle so I started looking into 2x-N scopes and I'm thinking of going with the Burris XTRII 2-10 and throwing that in my Bobro mount that has been gathering dust for quite some time. The mods that I've done to my rifle have been going with a timney trigger, gg&g charging handle, and the tango down bg17 grip. I'm liking that new keymod rail that MI is coming out with though and might get that pretty soon too.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Please keep them coming. Any opinion on the Bushnell Elite Tactical FFP 3.5-21X50 scope on the 17S which is one scope he is considering?. He likes mine on my HK MR762 but it's on the heavy side so I am not sure it's s good fit for the 17S.
    TIA

Last edited:
    I've runned everything from a Burris MTAC 6.5-20x in a P.E.P.R. mount to a Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x in a P.E.P.R. mount. And Finally settle on a Leupold Mark 6 3-18x in a Larue mount with no problems!

Any opinion on the Bushnell Elite Tactical FFP 3.5-21X50 scope on the 17S which is one scope he is considering?. He likes mine on my HK MR762 but it's on the heavy side so I am not sure it's s good fit for the 17S.
    TIA

It's a very good scope - I have one on an 11lb .308 bolt gun. I guess it all depends what you want the 17S to do. You said "Most of his shooting would be less than 600 yards." I had just assumed that meant steel and/or hunting, but if it means sub-MOA precision paper punching, then more magnification would make sense. If it's going to be shot offhand, in some types of hunting or in anything resembling 3-gun, then the DMR would be a very heavy and high magnification scope. That scope has tunneling below about 4.5x so I treat it as a 5-21x scope, despite the 3.5-21 total range, with tunneling. If you like something with more magnification than the 2.5-10x options I would consider the Bushnell LRHS 3-12x44, a very nice scope which is smaller and lighter, or the Steiner Military 3-12x50 that you may be able to find on closeout for $1200 or so.

Keep in mind that the ADM Delta provides a truly rugged 30mm mount for $200 or less. AFAIK the Delta is only available for 1" and 30mm tubes, not 34mm. To get a really rugged 34mm mount you are probably going to spend $300 and up, depending exactly what you expect. (ADM's Recon-S is available for 34mm and is a non-cantilever mount, but I assume there's a reason ADM created the Delta for the SCAR contract instead of just offering the Recon-S.) So that may be an added cost if you go with a 34mm tube scope vs. a 30mm tube like a Nightforce NXS or the Bushnell LRHS.

Keep in mind that the ADM Delta provides a truly rugged 30mm mount for $200 or less. AFAIK the Delta is only available for 1" and 30mm tubes, not 34mm. To get a really rugged 34mm mount you are probably going to spend $300 and up, depending exactly what you expect. (ADM's Recon-S is available for 34mm and is a non-cantilever mount, but I assume there's a reason ADM created the Delta for the SCAR contract instead of just offering the Recon-S.) So that may be an added cost if you go with a 34mm tube scope vs. a 30mm tube like a Nightforce NXS or the Bushnell LRHS.

Thanks for the reply, After you posted I found a posted message from ADM to a fellow that was having problems with accuracy with his SCAR 17s using the Recon-X cantilever mount. ADM's reply was they due not recommend the Recon cantilever for use on the 17S due to the recoil impulse of the 17S causing mount vibrations which could affect accuracy. They stated that is why the developed the non cantilever Delta for the 17S. Very interesting since I have used the Recon mount on several DI and Piston 308 semis without incident. I'll pass the information on.

Here's the post the OP received.

Update - ADM received my returned mount
    ADM sent me this email today:

Good Afternoon,

We received and looked over your AD-Recon-X mount. All of the Specs on the mount are in tolerance.
    What I believe is happening, since it is being used on a 7.62mm SCAR is that the heavy recoil impulse is causing the cantilevered front to vibrate a lot during the shots, throwing the shots off.
    I would suggest either an AD-Recon-S or AD-Delta for use on the SCAR. The AD-Delta is used by FN and SOCOM on their SCAR’s.
    Please let me know what you would like to do, and we will get it taken care of.

Thank you and have a great day.
    This echoes what many of you theorized early on, including Sgt Stryker.

Jeremy at ADM was incredibly responsive and helpful. They'll be sending me an AD-DELTA mount at the end of this week

Last edited:
    I'll give you my philosophy as I go through the same selection right now and will be doing the testing and selecting early next year. I'm matching the optic to both how I intend on utilizing the rifle and how it will perform.

My chosen optics are as follows with full package pricing as I paid for them: NF 2.5-10x24 Mil-R in an ADM Delta mount and angle mounted DeltaPoint ($2000 but rare), M-TMR CQBSS in straight rings (I paid more on mil discount three years ago than found new now, available used around $2100), Vortex Razor II 1-6x JM1 in ADM Recon-X (great demo deal I got at $1250), and EOTech EXPS 3-0 ($500 after recent rebate). Save round for a Leupold Mark 6 1-6x currently on a different rifle, but might give it a whirl since it has the CMR-W 7.62 reticle in it.

My objective is a lightweight, heavy hitting compact rifle for sport shooting and hunting in the east. Got all the glass, mags and Geissele trigger, waiting to drop the hammer on the rifle in a few weeks so it doesn't take up space in my dealers safe while I'm still overseas. I've played with them, liked it, can't wait to get one of my own and really wring it out.

I see the SCAR 17s for what it is - a lightweight 7.62 "battle rifle" carbine that while capable of putting up decent groups, really belongs in the hands of someone with restless feet and itchy fingers rather than riding a bench. I'm trying to see how light I can keep it in comparison to my 16" large frame .308 while putting them head to head in performance. If it isn't as accurate in my hands as the others but runs like a raped ape, it will probably keep the EOTech on top and live on a diet of 147gr ball ammo. If it's dropping rounds exactly where I'm intending on putting them, then the NF it is. If it shits the bed, well it will be posted on Gunbroker next scare and I'll pocket the profit. A case of Federal ball and a case of BH 175s are waiting on me for some fun. Don't worry guys, I'll be documenting and posting the results up.

What I would recommend to your buddy is to first decide how he wants to use it (bench or shoot and move), see how it will perform in all out accuracy hopefully using a scope borrowed from another platform, then select an optic that will match that combination.

I'll give you my philosophy as I go through the same selection right now and will be doing the testing and selecting early next year. I'm matching the optic to both how I intend on utilizing the rifle and how it will perform.

My chosen optics are as follows with full package pricing as I paid for them: NF 2.5-10x24 Mil-R in an ADM Delta mount and angle mounted DeltaPoint ($2000 but rare), M-TMR CQBSS in straight rings (I paid more on mil discount three years ago than found new now, available used around $2100), Vortex Razor II 1-6x JM1 in ADM Recon-X (great demo deal I got at $1250), and EOTech EXPS 3-0 ($500 after recent rebate). Save round for a Leupold Mark 6 1-6x currently on a different rifle, but might give it a whirl since it has the CMR-W 7.62 reticle in it.

My objective is a lightweight, heavy hitting compact rifle for sport shooting and hunting in the east. Got all the glass, mags and Geissele trigger, waiting to drop the hammer on the rifle in a few weeks so it doesn't take up space in my dealers safe while I'm still overseas. I've played with them, liked it, can't wait to get one of my own and really wring it out.

I see the SCAR 17s for what it is - a lightweight 7.62 "battle rifle" carbine that while capable of putting up decent groups, really belongs in the hands of someone with restless feet and itchy fingers rather than riding a bench. I'm trying to see how light I can keep it in comparison to my 16" large frame .308 while putting them head to head in performance. If it isn't as accurate in my hands as the others but runs like a raped ape, it will probably keep the EOTech on top and live on a diet of 147gr ball ammo. If it's dropping rounds exactly where I'm intending on putting them, then the NF it is. If it shits the bed, well it will be posted on Gunbroker next scare and I'll pocket the profit. A case of Federal ball and a case of BH 175s are waiting on me for some fun. Don't worry guys, I'll be documenting and posting the results up.

What I would recommend to your buddy is to first decide how he wants to use it (bench or shoot and move), see how it will perform in all out accuracy hopefully using a scope borrowed from another platform, then select an optic that will match that combination.

Redmanss,Thanks for the advice. That is essentially the process we are going thru now hoping to get it right the first time. I will post as we go towards determining how his SCAR is to used, most likely paper punching, and how he wants to equip it. So far we have decided on the ADM Delta mount for what ever scope he chooses.

More importantly thanks for your service and god speed in AFG. My grandson served two tours as an MP at Bargram.

Last edited:
    ADM mounts look expensive in a 34MM but as long as it does the job and it makes your friend smile is all that matters! Team FN Pro Staff are using WARNE mounts as they sponsor Team FN ? I would also not be beyond running a set of tactical WARNE rings as I ran a set on my 338-378 and they were rock solid but they were steel rings! I have them on my Cris Kyle Rifle now! I do like ring mounts like aDM's myself but have also been running ring mounts from Near Manufacturing as well ! I am hesitant to think an optic is going to move before the bullets is long gone from the muzzle

ADM mounts look expensive in a 34MM but as long as it does the job and it makes your friend smile is all that matters! Team FN Pro Staff are using WARNE mounts as they sponsor Team FN ? I would also not be beyond running a set of tactical WARNE rings as I ran a set on my 338-378 and they were rock solid but they were steel rings! I have them on my Cris Kyle Rifle now! I do like ring mounts like aDM's myself but have also been running ring mounts from Near Manufacturing as well ! I am hesitant to think an optic is going to move before the bullets is long gone from the muzzle ��

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have him look at both the Near and ADM ring mounts.

Ring mounts is what I call any 1 piece mount where just 2 ring caps and either QD's or nuts attach the whole unit just like the ADM models! Near Manufacturing is more of a hunting mount but they do have Tactical mounts with 3 rings for Big Bores! I actually like the ADM style as I have a Leupold on my LMT which looks similar to the ADM but being. 556 it!s not any issue with barrel harmonics or accuracy issues anywhere? My friend has a 460 Weatherby that is a scope killer! That is no fun!!

Above is the 3 ring ring mount! On my 338-378 it will not allow any scope issues but is expensive for a battle rifle. Probably? 34MM ring mount with 35 MOA Rail ! 550.00!

Last edited:
    Another SCAR 17 owner here, and I'm in the same boat. I think the real reason that a lot of folks struggle with an optic selection for this rifle has to do with its weight and accuracy. If the gun was a 10 pound rifle and folks didn't look to lug it around much the choice would be rather easy, especially given its accuracy. Mount up a good mid to long-range scope and wring all of the accuracy out of it that you can. On the other hand, a lot of folks (myself included) initially turn to the SCAR for its light weight and battle-tested reliability. For that, red dots and lower powered variables work the best. Problem is, the SCAR 17 is a lightweight, accurate semi-auto .308. Instead of a jack of all trades, master of none, this thing comes close to being a master of it all.

I'm narrowing my search though. I'm looking for something capable to 600 yards or so for more match-type shooting. There's a lot of love for two specific scopes over on the FN Forum - the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32mm and the Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44mm. The former is geared more toward keeping things trim but still providing enough power to showcase the 17's accuracy at modest ranges. The latter, on the other hand, adds some weight and larger ring requirements but increases the magnification range, obviously. The decision between the two may come down to price and whether or not SFP or FFP suits your fancy.

Last edited:
    +1 for the ADM DELTA mount that was developed for the SCAR. I have a vortex 1-4 pst in mine, but the Navy uses the nightforce 2.5x10's. Good luck with your choice.

Mine is currently wearing my 3.5-10x40 MK4 in an AI one pc mount, but Im looking to pick up a NF 2.5-10x24 to keep it trim.

Boy so much good information to evaluate as pass on. The only thing he has decided for sure is the Delta mount. But now he is limited to a 30mm scope. I think he is learning towards the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10X42 scope.

The nightforce 2.5-10x32 in a bobro mount has been working great for me

Boy so much good information to evaluate as pass on. The only thing he has decided for sure is the Delta mount. But now he is limited to a 30mm scope. I think he is learning towards the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10X42 scope.

FYI the ADM Delta mount will not work with the new Nightforce 2.5-10 x42 scope. Bottom of page 4 in the following link.

http://fnforum.net/forums/scar-accessories-scopes-mods/53603-calling-gurus-again.html

The OAL of the Delta mount is 5.375"
    **Between the rings is 3.385" **

FYI the ADM Delta mount will not work with the new Nightforce 2.5-10 x42 scope. Bottom of page 4 in the following link.

Calling on the Gurus....Again

The OAL of the Delta mount is 5.375"
    **Between the rings is 3.385" **
    Thanks for the heads up. I see the problem in the photo on page 4. I guess he will have to find another scope that he likes that will fit in the Delta and clear the rear sight. I never thought scoping a SCAR 17S would be so difficult to get right. It's a good thing I asked for him or he would have had a massive headache. On my SCAR 16S I just put an ACOG the TA31RCOM4. I thought this would be relatively easy on the 17S.

I've got a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 with a 20moa Aadland mount on one 17s and a Vortex Razor HD 1-6 with a 20moa Aadland mount on another 17s. Both have held zero and tracked well...no issues at all. I could not be more pleased with these rifles and optic solutions.

On my SCAR 17 I currently have a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 Green MIL-DOT mounted in an ADM RECON-S mount. I primarily use the SCAR for hog hunting and target shooting out to about 400 yards (so far). The Triji is a great scope for this use since it has very nice glass, battery free illumination, and only weighs 13oz.

14291316192_53c8cd9d76.jpg

I plan to eventually upgrade to the Nightforce 2.5-10x42. I will probably mount it in some of the Seekins AR high rings to save some weight since I won’t really need a QD capability and I do carry the SCAR quite a bit on hunts so I don't want it to get too heavy. The Vortex Razor 1-6x24 is another great choice if looking at the lower end of the mag spectrum.

Last edited:
    Any optic with a no bs warranty like vortex or leapold. I am now running a bobro 2 lever mount hoping the zero won't shift like with the precious larues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have ADM delta mount with Nightforce 2.5-10x32. Also picked up Trijicon RMR red dot and angled mount. Have yet to use or even zero red dot, but have made hits to 1000 with Nightforce. Target was 12"x12" which looked really tiny at 10x, but it worked.

Overall I like this set up and think it's ideal for this type of rifle.

I have to be honest. The best scope for the Scar 17 is the Leupold 1-6 with the 762 BDC reticle.

...and don't even bother with the Mk6. The VX-6 has the same glass and erector but is lighter and costs 1/2 the price, weighs 14 oz.

So, take your 8.1# SCAR
    + 1.6# loaded mag
    + .5# ADM mount
    + 1.2# NF 2.5-10x32

=11.4# before you add any tacticool lights, lasers, grips, bipod

Try to keep it under 11# loaded and you will have a struggle. I know the struggle.

My hunting rig is:
    POF P308 Edge 18.5" (8.5#)
    + loaded 10rd mag mag .8#
    + NF ultralight rings .2#
    + VX-6 1-6x .9#

= 10.4# loaded

Nothing wrong with ADM mount or NF scope, both are awesome. Your friend could shave 8 to 10 oz going with a VX-6 and NF ultralight rings. If his scope shits the bed due to suspected recoil impulse problem, Leupold will repair or replace it. Oh, and the VX-6 + rings will run about $1k total.

Great time to revive this thread. I was looking for a 1-8x scope for my 17s, but now I'm wondering why not save some money and go with the 1.5-8x Burris XTR-II. I doubt I'll ever need true 1x capability and the money saved would pay for the ADM Mount. Is anyone familiar with that model? Are they all dual focal plane?
    thanks,
    -Cuz