• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What scope and mount Remington 700p

Dahbarez

Private
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2019
Hi everyone
I just bough a Remington 700p in 300 win mag for Elk hunting. I need to get a base, scope mount and scope. Just wanted to get some recommendations on good quality stuff that isn't priced crazy so probably more mid range type stuff.

Reactions: 1J04
Nightforce pic rail and Vortex razor scope. Vortex precision rings.

And it's a hunting rifle. It needs a camo pattern for the stock. Paging @VJJPunisher for ideas...

What is mid range to you? $300-$800? I would go for the Athlon Ares 4.5-27x50, Sightron stac, Burris Veracity ,Burris XTR II , Bushnell Forge, Bushnell Nitro, Riton Mod7 5-25x50, Weaver Tactical 3-15x

Base: Nightforce, Seekins, or TPS
Rings: Seekins/Vortex PMR

Scope: You need to define "mid-range" as regards your budget.

Scope base- Leupold back county for 40 bucks.
If its going to be a capped turret hunting scope with a limiting 50 moa of elevation adjustment or less then the 0 moa is fine. You could also get the 20 moa is most cases and be just fine, if youll be running adjustable turrets then the 20 moa is preferred.

Then picatinny scope rings that match your scope tubes diameter, I imagine that a height of .8-1" from top of picatinny rail to middle of scope tube will be just right. Leupold rings for 85 Nightforce standard duty for 80 Steiner H series for 80 Vortex Pro Series for 60

I would agree with spife7980, I have put those leupy one piece pic mounts (with 20moa) on a few rifles, for hunting and target, all are nice and solid, decent manufacturing, but ......for $40-50? Full of win

I would agree with spife7980, I have put those leupy one piece pic mounts (with 20moa) on a few rifles, for hunting and target, all are nice and solid, decent manufacturing, but ......for $40-50? Full of win
seems like a solid mount for the money I also found a used night force mount on armslist

Burris Fullfield E1 4.5-14 with ballistic reticle

If you want picatinny:
EGW Base- 0 MOA (scope only has 40 MOA internal adjustment)

Burris rings

Otherwise:
Steel Leupold rings/base with the dovetail mount ($50 ish for the base/rings I believe)

Good setup for hunting. Reliable. Cheap enough to pull if you decide to step up in the future.

Otherwise if you find a scope with more internal adjustment:

NF 20 MOA base (or similair)

Rings would depend on scope tube if you plan to upgrade (in other words spending lots on good 1” rings may not be as beneficial as 30mm/34 mm)

$200-$500 I’ve found Burris to be great for a reliable hunting optic. Bushnell/Nikon decent to.
Just stay away from the cheap $200 scopes with every tactical bell and whistle out there. Barska/BSA/Centerpoint to name a few

Last edited:
Why bother responding if you have nothing useful to say?

I'm simply suggesting that you'll only get so much out of that budget, unless you don't mind dropping cash at regular intervals to upgrade. Spend on the base for now, and the rings if you're okay with a given tube size. See if you can run up on an old Bushnell 3200 10x, or an old Leupold Mark 4 10x. The mechanisms will take a little beating and the simplicity of the reticle will aid in your learning process.

I'm simply suggesting that you'll only get so much out of that budget, unless you don't mind dropping cash at regular intervals to upgrade. Spend on the base for now, and the rings if you're okay with a given tube size. See if you can run up on an old Bushnell 3200 10x, or an old Leupold Mark 4 10x. The mechanisms will take a little beating and the simplicity of the reticle will aid in your learning process.
A used mark 4 might be my best bet, and I know I can only get so much from cheaper optics it will just be a long time before the optic is holding me back not the other way around.

20MOA Base:
Badger, Nightforce, Area 419

Rings:
Badger, Nightforce

Scope:
Like mentioned above, don’t shoot yourself in the dick that hard with the optic choices you listed. Honestly, and I know it gets a lot of hate on here, but a used Leupold MK4 might be your best bet. Can easily be found for $500 and even it is a fixed 10x, you’re getting a better optic.

A lot of people hate fixed 10x but there’s nothing wrong with it as a first optic or even longer term optic. It isn’t as sexy as what’s available now, but that MK4 10x has a stack of bodies under it from years of use.

?

20MOA Base:
Badger, Nightforce, Area 419

Rings:
Badger, Nightforce

Scope:
Like mentioned above, don’t shoot yourself in the dick that hard with the optic choices you listed. Honestly, and I know it gets a lot of hate on here, but a used Leupold MK4 might be your best bet. Can easily be found for $500 and even it is a fixed 10x, you’re getting a better optic.

A lot of people hate fixed 10x but there’s nothing wrong with it as a first optic or even longer term optic. It isn’t as sexy as what’s available now, but that MK4 10x has a stack of bodies under it from years of use.

?
There is a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14x40mm #56140 Duplex on ebay for 600 think I should pull the trigger?

There is a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14x40mm #56140 Duplex on ebay for 600 think I should pull the trigger?

Ewwww Duplex? What year is this, 1842?

lol I kid. Personally I’d just look a bit more and try and find at least a mil-dot reticle.

Have you searched through the PX on here? Try putting up an ad for a used optic, something like a NF SHV, MK4, SWFA SS, or Vortex PST.

Also, are you Mil or LE? Vortex does a discount program and you can probably snag a PST2 for right at or just above that 600.

SWFA are also worth looking into at that price point.

Side note, if you do find a MK4 and end up getting it, shoot me a message and I’ll send you a sunshade for it (if you need one). Just cover shipping and it’s yours. I no longer have mine and found the ss in a spare parts kit.

Budgeting for scopes is tricky. Can you find glass at any price, sure. But will saving up for a few extra months land you something that you won’t regret/have to upgrade in a year or five? Definitely. Going with a budget scope now will solve your current glass problem, but as time passes, the resale value will bottom out and you’ll be farther from the next level of glass. If you’re willing to go 600 for a used MK4 on eBay, I’d give it a couple of weeks burning through the PX to see what you can find. I bet you can find a gem that fits your needs. Impulse buying is always a bad thing lol.

Last edited:
OP - for $200-500 I would probably be looking at an SWFA SS. Either a new 10x42, or a used 3-9x42 or 3-15x42.

Many gun owners (myself included) need to chant this phrase like a mantra for several hours a day.

Right? I caught myself yesterday stacking items in euro optic’s shopping cart... I, surprisingly, had self control and caught myself before I hit “checkout” lol.

::looks in mirror::
“Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, go ahead and click that checkout button and let’s get presents!”

• Haha
Reactions: enichols
Right? I caught myself yesterday stacking items in a euro optic shopping cart... I, surprisingly, had self control and caught myself before I hit “checkout” lol.

“Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, go ahead and click that checkout button and let’s get presents!”
That is why I am trying to find budget optic lol I keep finding myself looking at very expensive glass and self control is not my strong suit

Reactions: M8541Reaper
That is why I am trying to find budget optic lol I keep finding myself looking at very expensive glass and self control is not my strong suit

I hear ya. Amazon has a PST Gen2 3-15 FFP Mil/Mil for 800 new so I’m sure you can find one used for less than that. A buddy snagged that for his R700 (6.5cm) and we went out to 1100m with it. It will get the job done well for the price point it’s at. As does SWFA. Give it time and dig through the optics sales on here.

Best of luck man.

Get ahold of gr8fuldoug on here, he is a supporting vendor (Cameraland) and has some really good deals for Hide members if you call...see below.

"If there is anything you're looking for please give us a call at 516-217-1000. It is always our pleasure to speak with you. Always give a call to discuss options and what would be best for your needs"

Reactions: Alabusa
Right? I caught myself yesterday stacking items in euro optic’s shopping cart... I, surprisingly, had self control and caught myself before I hit “checkout” lol.

Heartless bastard. Those wretchedly hungry and poor little kids of Montoursville need your dollars.

I make sure never to browse EuroOptic with my wallet anywhere nearby.

• Haha
Reactions: M8541Reaper