• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What scope are you all using on Hunting Rigs

keith jones

Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
Bulls Gap,TN
I had a post on here about choosing new scope for my new rig. I am having a new hunting rifle built, and having trouble choosing scope. So this may help me a little better. What scope are you guys using on your hunting rifles. Doesnt matter what your hunting just wanting to see different scopes being used on hunting rifles. I will mainly be hunting whitetail and coyotes. Thanks guys..

aimpoint compm3 is what I use, on a 16 inch 308 bolt gun, course where I hunt its thick as shit and 150 or so max

For years I have used two basic models depending on the rifle. On my LR rigs, to me in a HUNTING situation is 400-450 yds MAX; I've used 3.5-10 X 50mm AO Leupold models. Always enough magnification and twilight factor.

For my pair of lighter weight, do it all bolt guns I use their 2.5-8X model. Leupold has never let me down on a hunting rifle.

FN in MT

couple ziess conquest 3x9's on lighter weight rifles, they are clear and price isn't to bad. 4.5x14 LR leupold with the varmint ret one and it is nice set up and if you practice with the ret it is very use full. Not that satisfied with the Nikon Monarch as of lately. Just got a vortex pst 4x16 but haven't shot it yet. Glass looks good but no other details yet.

I just put a Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 on my non typical .260. Seems to be near perfect for a hunting rifle.

Zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44 with rapid z 800; great glass ideal magnification, somewhat on the heavy side on the reticle that tends to annoy me on my varmint rig.

Vortex PST 4-16x50 mil/mil on GAP 243 for coyotes, plains deer, and antelope and shooting steel, glass is ok turrets are very repeatable for those that want to dial, however I have had issues with turrets rotating while carrying on a sling and for this reason alone I will not use it for hunting as I don't want to have to think about checking that prior to every shot in the field

Burris signature select 4-16x44 glass is a great value and a solid scope for $500 price range. This thing is oversized IMO compared to other similar mag/objective optics and parallax on front rather than side annoys me. The ballistiplex is ok if you practice.

Trijicon 3-9x40 has great glass with same to slightly better low light performance to my zeiss. I like the illumination and no battery feature, it is also light weight and compact. It lacks reticle options and turrets for my needs.

Nikons were nice until I wanted option to dial or have holdover in reticle and I don't care for their BDC I do still have one of the buck masters.

Currently looking for ideal optic for my 257 wby mag and seriously considering a nightforce 2.5-10x32 with either hv 600, or MOAR reticle if I can decide which one i want and the IHR would be a nice hunting reticle too. In all my research in the last few weeks this seems to offer the best balance of size, glass, repeatability for dialing long shots, ideal magnification range at least imo allowing fast target acquisition at low end and longer shots of 600-700 yards at 10 X which is as far as I would consider taking a shot at an animal. Only downside is it costs double what my other options are and 32mm makes me slightly concerned but a lot of guys use them, I can't see spending extra coin on the 42mm version once its out either at least for now.

Last edited:
i've got a zeiss conquest on my browning blr 30.06, i have a swarovski z6i 3-18x50 on my 300 winmag, i've got a nightforce 5.5-22x56 on my 280 AI, i've got a vortex pst on a varmint rifle, and that covers all my rifles at the moment. i've still got a 6.8 spc i need to scope and i'm up in the air on what to put on my ar10.

Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 BDC
Leupold Mark 2 (now called Mark AR) 4-12x40 Long Range Duplex (reticle no longer offered, has two hold over dots)
Redfield Revolution (Leupold ownership) 2-7x33 Duplex
Aimpoint PRO

I hear great things about the Vortex scopes, and for the money, you probably can't beat a Zeiss Conquest. If you decide on a Leupold, Nikon, Vortex, or Ziess you will probably not be disappointed.

I use a S&B pm11 3-12 on my lamping/red fox 220swift
2418a49.jpg
and a S&B pm11 5-25 on my 308 steel/deer rifle
2prgthe.jpg
Both scopes have fantastic glass/light gathering,and the turrets track true and repeatable.I dont baby my weapons and shoot/ hunt rain hail or snow and these scopes have always performed as they should no issues.Expensive but you definitely get what your paying for ,top performance,repeatability,depenability
1z30z1l.jpg

Last edited:
.22-250 for prairie dogs up to coyotes and hogs Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24 X 50 Mil/Mil FFP

.260 for competition, coyotes, hogs, deer SS 5-20 X 50 Mil/Mil FFP

7mm Rem Mag for deer, and elk Vortex Viper PST 6-24 X 50 Mil/Mil FFP

I like to keep things pretty standard. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Zeiss Conquest on my hunting rifles. Must be OK because after I bought my first one - I sold my other scopes and bought 3 more Zeiss scopes.

SWFA SS 3-9X on my mountain rifle. I had it kind of 'left over' when I picked up a few 5-20's. Possibly a tad on the heavy side, but no complaints thus far. I also like the fact that I get to keep the mil-quad reticle, as are on my other rifles. It sort of keeps things familiar. Very clear glass and a tough scope to beat for the money.

Schmidt & Bender Zenith 1.1-4x24 FD9 on a .35 Whelen.
Schmidt & Bender Zenith 1.5-6x42 A8 on a .338-06 A-Square.
Zeiss Diavari V 1.5-6x42mm *T #8 Reticle on a .300 Win Mag.
US Optics MR-10 1.8-10x37 GAP on a .30-06 Springfield.

Last edited:
Zeiss 4x14 on most of the hunting rifles, a couple have the 6x20, but frankly, it's too much scope most of the time. Mildot reticles in them, I don't really care for the Z-reticles, just personal preference, no real reason.

A couple Leupold 2x8 Mk4 scopes also, digging those alot lately.

Dangerous game or Africa rifles, 1.7x10 Swarovski, illuminted CD reticle, slayer of magnificent beasts. Order it from Jay, with the target turret on top, it has stops/indicators that can be set for every 100 yards out to 500, with a zero stop feature also. Quite possible, this is the best pure hunting scope setup out there, if cost is no issue. Taking one of these next week for 21 days of Africa!

Got a whole pile of first rate tactical scopes, they don't make the major hunting trips. They do seem however, to make regular ranch trips, one particular 5x25 S&B has whacked a lot of cull critters, as has a Hensoldt 4x16.

I don't seem to mind lots of magnification on competition or range scopes, but find myself using lots less in the field.

I've got a SWFA SS 10x on my LTR. A Nikon monarch on my 300. I've got an old Remington 700 in .270 with a Redfield 3x9 on it.

I use the Premier Lite Tacs on my 3 general purpose big game rifles.
Also employ the 3-12 Henny, couple of Zeiss Victory and a Vortex on a few others.
My rifles weigh 7.2lbs to just a hair over 10lbs scoped.

Last edited:
I will throw a nikon in the mix here: Nikon buckmaster 4.5-14x40 on a Savage 16 weather warrior with the adj. muzzle brake. Its a deer killing machine ;)

right now I have a millett buck gold 6-25x but I think its too much scope for where im at. will try to use it this year but would like something with a 3 or 4x low end at most.

I like light and compact vs bulky heavy scopes, on my hunting rigs, for how I hunt. Shot more deer with a 4x and 6x. The Leupold 6x is the scope I'd run if I were left to one scope, a duplex and CDS or M1 would do. I don't need 12 or 14x for hunting, and 9-12x would be the highest I personally want for a hunting rifle, and Non-AO. I don't shoot past 400 yds typically. In a short action, for a variable I'd look strongly at a 2-7 or 2.5-8x w/CDS or M1, duplex or post duplex. LRD is a good option for many. In a long action, a 3.5-10x40 in same config, will do for ALOT of situations most are in when hunting. Re: Conquest - great glass also - a 3-9x40 would do for 99%...of what I do. They are a tad larger ergo but not heavy.

Those who shoot REALLY Long range, and have really heavy rifles, solid rest to shoot from may can utilize more scope than I, just what works for me.

Leupold Mark 4, 7 WSM and Night force NSX. 5.5-22X, 338 Lapua

Attachments

• photo  338 big pic.jpg
    photo 338 big pic.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Ant 1  9-12.jpg
    Ant 1 9-12.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
What scope are you all using on Hunting Rigs

Leupold vx6 2-12 x42 duplex

803BFF58-8DA6-4B2A-965F-C89C755E1908-5306-000002DC86172025_zpsfd937a84.jpg

Last edited:
this week it was a 2-7 VX-1 on my 7mm I'm going to put the Redfield back on this one soon.
my .243 wears a old 2-7 Redfield Widefield
my 375 Ruger African has a Leupold VX3 3.5-10 B&C reticle
my 22-250 coyote rig carries a Nikon coyote special 4.5-14
Those are my main hunting rigs.

Deer in the woods rifle, Leupold VXR 3-9x40 cds on a Winny 70 Featherweight in 7x57

ohxg.jpg

Antelope on the plains, NF 2.5-10x32 Rem700 in 308

jzyq.jpg

Last edited:
I'm usually not shooting over 300 yards and I use a Zeiss 3-9 conquest on my lite rig, and a Swarovski Z-6 3-12 on my standard setup. I also have Leupold and Meopta scopes all have performed well.

Trijicon Accupoint

I love Trijicons. Get the Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56. For sub a sub $1K scope, the glass and light gathering can't be beat. I have used on white tail and hogs in Texas. The 56mm objective with the tritium chevron has been a godsend for dawn/dusk applications.

Attachments

• Trijicon on Tikka.jpg
    Trijicon on Tikka.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 27
I've got a Redfield 3-9x40 on my .25-06 and a Trijicon 3-9x40 on my AR. I plan on upgrading the Redfield to a Trijicon 2.5-10x56 eventually. You just can't beat the green dot in the accupoints in lowlight.

I have quite a number if optics and rifles I run but probably my favorite all around hunting scope is my S&B 1.5-6x42 Zenith FD9 reticle.
I have used it a lot on my 16" 6.8 but have moved it to a 280AI for this season.
It is a great scope for hunting up close to out to 400 or so.

Leupold VX-3 3.5-10 x 40 w/ CDS 1/4 MOA knob on a 30.06. I've used it to shoot deer & pigs out to 250 yards, mostly from a stand or ground blind.

If I know I'm shooting past that I typically go to a different rifle.

I use either my Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 or Leupold Mark 4 depending on what range ill be hunting. 300yds in, the Zeiss Conquest is hard to beat.

I was given a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10x40 for my 13th birthday...lets see I am 44 so...13...minus 44...+9...divided by metric 6...yep had it for 31 years. It went back to teh factory in 2011 for target turrets and a once over, regassed, gone trough, cleaned. Never had a problem with it...ever. It has been dropped from the kitchen table, slid down the side of a truck to clatter like Nobody's barrel break in procedure, been on nearly every rifle and specialty pistol I ever owned. It has watched the demise of at least half, of between 70 and 80 eastern whitetails. I would trust my life to it tomorrow.
Yep I have owned many brands of scope in 35 years Most of them have actually been "bargain for the money" scopes. Only one was a bargain. A 4X Tasco World Class. Everything else has been sent back or just thrown in the trash after frustrating trips through the mail. I now own 2 MK4 16x models, 2 VXIII3.5-10x40's, and one VX/R Patrol 3x9. I have owned several others as well. NONE have ever needed to be sent back. I did buy one VXIII 2.5-8x36 for my FIL. It was missing the Leupold medalion and I sent it back to have that replaced, and only that replaced. It came back with new occular, and objective lenses, all new springs and parts in the turret assembly and a very nice long list of everything done and full test specs for windage and elevation. THAT is why I own Leupold. The other reason is it is the best I can afford. I would own Swaro, Zeiss, and of course some of the other high end glass that I can't afford in a New York minute. I simply never had the need for anything better than what I have owned and kept so far.
The real question would have to be how much will you use the scope? I have put mine through some rather rigorous use for hunting and competition. I do have a pretty good frame of refence when it comes to what will hold up to hard use and a lot of shooting. Any of them can go tits up, some are more prone than others.

I have hunted something with all I have owned.

Last edited:
I love Leupolds but they are pricey for what quality you get. For the same coin there are many options. After the intro of the VX6 line, I have to say Leupold has made a comeback. Glass is outstanding with amazing clarity! I have the 3-18x50mm illum SFP scope and it's functioned flawlessly on all my hunts so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NF NXS compact 2.5-10x32mm NP-R2 on my 18" 6.5 Grendel AR

Leupold Mk6 3-18x44 TMR on my .260 bolt gun.

Keith, if we knew details on your build, I think you'd have some more specific scope parameters to focus on.

I like to match a scope to compliment the rifle it's sitting on, and to best cover the range of shooting engagements that rifle was built to cover. Cartridge performance, overall weight, stock design, etc., all factor in to making a wise decision that will pair well with your rifle...

What are ya building?

USO 1.5-6. The scope works great on my deer rifle as I am shooting typically 50-300yds. Lightning fast acquisition for when I am on a deer drive and great low light capability. Talk to lazy21, he will hook you up.