• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What Scope for 45/70?

PJC7250

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2002
Apollo, Pa.
I just got my hands on a Marlin 1895 45/70 Caliber. I'm looking to scope it with a low powered scope. This will be for hard hitting brush gun for distances of 100 to 150 yards (maybe 200 yards). What scope choices will be good and tough enough to handle the 45/70 recoil?

Re: What Scope for 45/70?

I'd recommend a solid peepsight (Ashley Express). If you want an optic, then get the Ashley Scout Mount and then mount a Reddot or Scout Scope (2.5x). That way there's no danger of getting a scope cut (with heavy loads) and it balances better.

Check out the scope cabelas makes for that gun. My brother has one on his and he loves it. They are on the cheaper side but his scope has held up great without any adjustment to zero as it gets knocked around in the field. It even has drop slash marks out to three hundred yards. Hope that helps. And by the way if you build a great load for that gun let me know what it is.

I had a 1-4x Leupold mounted on my .450 Marlin and it did great. It was light and allowed the rifle to swing well when tracking a close moving target. It held up well so far, 40+ rounds

I have an aimpoint Comp ML3 on mine and its deadly for feral pigs. I have also used a 2.5x compact leupold and a 1-4 leupold on them.

The ultimate 45/70 scope IMHO is a NXS 1-4 compact............its in my future

I love the 45/70 and cant be without one !!

You could go traditional?
grin.gif

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,215.html

English

Leupold fixed 3X on my Marlin 45-70GG and it works very well.

I have an old Leupold M8 4x on mine. So far so good.

On my 30.30 I use a Nikon 2-9x, which sometimes will be listed as a shotgun scope. One nice thing about the Marlin is the top mount for scopes, the down side is too low a ring and you can't thumb the hammer, so you have to get higher rings than you think.