• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What scope for LR hunting rifle?

6.5x47

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2011
Utah
I'm having a Rem 700 LA in 300WM built that I'm setting up for a precision hunting rig. My personal limit on live game is 1400 yards. Smallest targets might be pronghorn/coyotes. Largest would be up to elk.

I really like the NF NXS 5.5-22x50 that I have on my Surgeon/AICS in 6.5x47. Would you drop down to the new 2.5-10x42 or 3.5-15 or stick with the 5.5-22? Vortex or Leupold? I'd like to keep the rifle sub 10 lbs if possible but willing to go over a bit/optic dependent.

Oh, and MOA turrets/reticle.

Thanks for your suggestions,

6.5x47

I'm in the same situation as you right now. If you are comfortable making shots on game at 1000+ yards, I'd stay with an optic with a top end magnification of 20ish or more. The NF 5.5-22 is a bullet proof scope, but it is heavy compared to some others. I've been looking at the NF 5.5-22, Premier Light Tactical 3-15, and the March 3-24. Also, the Mark 6 3-18 is a very compact light weight optic, but it has a 34mm main tube which is a bit large for a hunting rifle, but it's still on my "possible" list. One other choice is the Mark 4 6.5-20 FFP M5 (if you want mil/mil). These are great scopes and come in at 22oz. I have 2 of them on hunting rifles and they have been great. Only down side is they have 5 mil turrets.

Stay with the higher power at those ranges. I wouldnt go lower than the 3.5-15.

Not quite in the same optical league as the Premier and March, but the Vortex HS 6-24x50 is a lot of scope for $899.
Vortex 6-24x50 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope
The moa-based XLR reticle is one of the most useful reticles out there; I wish they offered it in more of thier scopes. It's fairly light too, at 23 oz. and has zero stop. If you want to spend more, the aforementioned March, Premier LT, and Leupy Mark 6 are all excellent and light weight choices. The Nightforce F1 would be great too, though a tad heavy.

The Leupold Mk-6, 4-24x52 Side Focus is of interest to me. As I'm a turret spinner, how is the elev turret? Does it need to be removed, pinched/squeezed? Does the turret have clear precise visual as well as tactile adjustments; typical Leupold feel? Is the VX-6 glass better than the VX-3?

6.5x47

Really new at this so for what it's worth, take a look at Shepard Scopes. Right now I'm leaning heavily towards the 618 V2 for my .308

I have a nightforce 5.5-22 and a march 2.5-25x42, I would choose the march, get turrets, awesome glass and massive magnification. I havnt used it as much as my NF but so far it's awesome!

Viper PST is 23oz vs the 31oz of the NXS...

What good is that 8oz savings going to do you when the zero is bumped off by a ride on a 4 wheeler, bouncing around in a truck, or a fall? What about when it just up and takes a shit in the field? I guess that awesome warranty will be there for you when your miles from camp plus an hour ride to the local post office.

A hunting rifle especially a long range hunting rifle needs better than "it should work ok", it's gotta work, plain and simple.

I have been considering nearly this exact same thing. I have a 300 WM hunting rifle that shoots well, but the glass I had on it could use an upgrade. I was looking for some good glass that did not weigh a ton as this rifle gets packed some. Mine is unbraked, and gets shot a fair amount in the off-season, so durability was up there as a consideration too. I was looking at higher power offerings until I came to the realization that I am not really comfortable with the ethics of taking a shot at 1000+ yards. Even with the best of bullets flight time is around 2 seconds at that range. I don't like the prospect of an animal moving after I sent it only to end up gutshot and escaping. I misplaced a shot on an antelope when I was younger and it was not a rewarding experience, to say the least. We tracked him for literally miles before we lost the trail. I thought he had laid down in a gully somewhere where we couldn't see him and died - I was sick about it. The next week, within 300 yards of where I shot him the first time, he was back. This time I didn't miss. I know it was the same buck as he had a very large and distinctive set of horns. So, I guess it worked out in the end, but it has tinted my thinking on the ethics of long range shooting on live animals. While my case was not due to a flight time issue (it was directly due to me making a poor shot), I have come back to the flight time issue a number of times. I say all of that to come to the conclusion that I have relinquished the search for such high-powered optics. Something with a top-end of 10-15X, such as the new 2.5-10X42 NF or the 3-15 Light Tactical Premier seems to fit the bill a little better for me.

Last edited:
I'd rock a Premier 3-15x50 w/Gen II Mildot. On low power, the reticle functions like a good ol' duplex. On 15X, still plenty useable and not to bold to engage a coyote sized target @ 1000yds. I bang away at my coyote silhouette using the Gen II easy enough...

If you want exposed turrets, do the Lite Tac. Otherwise, the Hunter Series has capped turrets and will save you a few hundred bucks. I plan swapping my Premier Hunter onto a 6.5 Shamwow build that's in the works. If the capped turrets ain't cuttin' the mustard, I will put the Lite Tac on instead.

The new NXS 2.5-10x42 looks like a honey, and has been a long time in coming! Always been a fan of the the NXS Compacts. I will prolly try the 42mm model in the future, but not jumping yet @ the $2K price point. For not much more than that, the Lite Tac offers a larger zoom range, better glass and FFP reticle...

Good luck & have fun deciding!

I've been very happy with my Viper HS LR 4-16x50. The 1/2 MOA elevation adjustments are nice and quick. Haven't personally gone further than 800 yet, but it's more than capable.

I personally know of several much cheaper scopes that have survived this kind of treatment. not sure when the PST became a crap scope...

I would agree with KnockemDown. The Light Tactical would certainly be a very good option.

Hardest part is finding one right now.

Have you thought about Swarovski's Z6 with a BRH or BRX reticle?

I gave one a good work out in Utah last week. I was very impressed with it.

it's going to be tough to keep weight down with a tactical scope. what does the rifle weigh?

Still in the planning phase. A lightened Rem 700 LA, 2.5 lb stock, 26-28" #5 fluted barrel w/brake, alum rings/pic bases; all up <10 lbs?

6.5x47

Dang son. 1400 yds is a long ways. I wish I could do that. 400 is my personal limit on deer. Here in LA things are different though. Good luck to you

Surprised that Bushnell hunting scope GAP designed hasn't been mentioned. It looks legit although a little low powered for 1000+ yrd shots.

I don't think you would find a better light weight compact high powered scope over the March 2-25 (that's the MOA version I believe.)

Good luck and remember its very easy to get closer than 1000+ yards to anything. I had a monster elk at 1370 couple years ago with my 338LM and 3-21 Bushnell and it looked far as F. No shot taken. Not judging IF you are capable! Just wanted to say there was an elk sized target at the last OK match just at 1200 yards and I didn't see a single first round hit with the best shooters in the country shooting the best equipment in the country (Im sure there were one or two as I didn't watch everyone shoot) Just sayin and don't want to turn this into an ethics of hunting thread. Just remember your abilities when its go time.

Regards,
DT

Nightforce would be a great for long-range hunting weather you go with a 3.5-15x or the 5.5-22x. The Vortex HD would be great also but they are heavy. If your OK with spending more I would look at dong a Kahles 6-24x56mm.

If we can be of help let me know we stock them all.

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

Just curious, what bullet are you planning to use out to 1400 yards for hunting?

That's my go to scope for big game hunting from here out.

Just had a chance to look through one a couple of hours ago. My friend just got his, and we put it side by side with my S&B 3x12x50. I was amazed how well the glass compared. Solid scope and love the turrets. Honestly, I had a hard time spending the money on a Bushnell. I was unaware how much they have stepped up their game in the last few years - obviously. I have absolutely no regrets now, so looking forward to putting one to use. Mine should arrive in a few weeks with my 6.5 4S.

Just had a chance to look through one a couple of hours ago. My friend just got his, and we put it side by side with my S&B 3x12x50. I was amazed how well the glass compared. Solid scope and love the turrets. Honestly, I had a hard time spending the money on a Bushnell. I was unaware how much they have stepped up their game in the last few years - obviously. I have absolutely no regrets now, so looking forward to putting one to use. Mine should arrive in a few weeks with my 6.5 4S.

Good call!

Take it out right at dark and have a look through it......pulls in an amazing amount of light.

Good call!

Take it out right at dark and have a look through it......pulls in an amazing amount of light.

My friend came over early. We had both rifles set up in tripods so that we could quickly change views through each scope at random and this was done at first light. I was hoping to not be too disappointed with the comparison. But honestly, the LRHS was every bit (and maybe a bit more) bright as my 50mm Obj S&B, both set to 12x. I was amazed how much light the LRHS was pulling in. The LRHS was also sharper around the edges. Granted the S&B is 6 years older so I'm guessing advances have been made in glass development, but did not expect it to be that drastic. I did like the sharpness of the depth of field better with the S&B when set to 3x, but that was the only glaring advantage I saw this morning. A bit shocked, surprised and excited for my LRHS to arrive.

You guys did a hell of a job with the design input!

Thanks! We're really happy with the way the scope turned out.

I'm out the door right now to put some more shots under it....snowy, blowing and cold here. Good conditions for a hunter's test!