• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What scope should I get for my DPMS LR .308?

Drewbeedobeedoo

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2009
NM
Hi, new here and I am extremly impressed with the vast amounts of experience and knowledge here. Well, I am a newbie with the .308 and I was wondering if anyone out there has a DPMS LR .308 that could recommend a decent scope and maybe some other additional equipment to add to its performance. A bipod perhaps? I understand that equipment is only as good as the person using it, but I will get there with education and practice. Thanks in advance!

Re: What scope should I get for my DPMS LR .308?

welcome~!You may want to list a budget so a scope can be recommended.Also how far do you intend to do most of your shooting? Harris bipods are excellent,you can get the swivel or non.

Not knowing what sort of price/performance you're looking for, I can say that the Falcon Menace is an excellent value with Mil turrets matching an enhanced Mil-based FFP reticle and a 4-14 magnification range for under $400.

Search around here some and you'll find plenty of discussion on it. RWSGunsmithing frequently handles group buys for them.

I would like to keep the price within $1,000 or less. I guess I would at least like to reach out to about 1000 yards.

Thanks for your input!

Only two other scopes that I like under $1000 mark.

The IOR 2.5-10 FFP can be had for just under $1000 from Scott @ Liberty Optics (not to be confused with the SFP model) also features Mil turrets and an enhanced Mil-based reticle

or, if you don't mind holding everything and not using the turrets at all, I've got a new DPMS 308 that I've decided to put a Horus Hawk 3-12 ($500) onto. But the reticle only has 8 Mil of hold-over so if you want to go all the way to 1000 then you'll need to run a 300-400yd zero and hold under for the close shots. Not a big deal for me, I consider my 18" DPMS to be a 750yd gun.

All other scopes are going to be limited by one or more of the following:

MOA turrets used with an Mil-based reticle (this is the big one)

Fixed magnification, making snap shots and movers (which is why I'd choose the DPMS over my bolt gun) harder

Plain-jane Mildot (I like a half-Mil hash whenever possible)

Second-focal plane (SFP) reticle, so it is not usable at all magnification settings.

Ratbert glad you found a scope for the DPMS! I am looking to get another falcon for the 700.

I had a SS on my now gone DPMS and i liked it. I like the fixed power but also would have liked variable. I know sounds like I am contradicting my self but personally I see both having pros and cons. Good luck with your choice and watch the for sale section. You might get more scope than you originally planned for and be within your budget.

Thanks 81sfo, krink85 and Ratbert for your recommendations and knowledge!

Wow Ghogs Nightmare, your about as helpful as Obama!

You didn't mention you needed/wanted FFP or mil/mil but if you can live with SFP and 1/4 MOA knobs the Sightron SIII 3.5-14x44 is an excellent choice. I had one out last night near sundown and the optics/reticle are simply superb. Rugged, 120MOA of travel (works just fine on a flat-top), side focus, under $700

Scott

I'll over look a slight bit of ignorance....help here is easy to find.
Scott is a good contact for optics (Liberty Optics) he stocks'm and can tell you the plus's and minus's of any. On my DPMS i have a Leupy 4.5-14 LR (30mm tube and side focus) sent it out to have the TMR reticle put in. Does great on getting light and very clear. However if your going to 1000 make sure ya have something that has enough adjustment interally should ya need it.