• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes what scope to buy?

triggerhappykenny

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2008
somewhere in wyoming
i want to set up a new rifle in .308 but i dont know what scope i should get. i want to go about 500yds. i dont know what kind of retical i want either, i like the mil dot but i want to try something new, open for sugestions there to. i can only budget about $500 for the scope. i have a super sniper on my .223 bolt gun and its ok but i dont think i want to put it on a .308 i dont like it that much. what are my options?

Re: what scope to buy?

what kind of shooting do you want to do?
range?
you want zoom?
what kind of reticle do you like?
what adjustments are you comfortable with?

need to be more specific man

It means try using this.....

Snipers Hide Search Engine

before asking a question.....

+1 on the Falcon Menace.... I'd recommend the ML16 reticle and Mil adjust... and then if you don't like it or want to upgrade, you'll only lose about $50 on it......
( I have this on my 308 and can see and hit prairie dogs to 700+ no problem)

FWIW,
Andy

The Falcon Menace 4-14x44mm is the hottest ticket in your price range. I recommend the 0.1 mil knobs if you're into trying new things (as you say)

Below is a thread on the reticle choices and pros/cons.

Read this

i checked out the different reticals. i think i might check out the emd a little more, it peeked my intrest alot. its a little out of my price range, but that just meens i have to clean a few more elk and pronghorn lol. there is a dealer an hour or so away that should carry it.