• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What scope to get.

lwnemesis

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
Hello everyone,

I don't post much here but do visit on a somewhat regular basis. I have been pondering on what to get for my next optic but not sure what direction to go. I currently own a Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44 (ET3124FJ) and a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 (800362). In the past I have owned an SWFA 5-25x50 IR. So this is the extent of my scope collection. As you can see, none of these scopes are anywhere near high end but they are not the crappiest options either. What I want is something similar to these but better glass. My eye sight is not what it used to be. I don't mind getting a used scope to save money. So the questions I have are:

1. Is a Vortex PST Gen II 3-15x44 or the 5-25x50 better than the scopes I have? Has better glass?
2. Is a Bushnell DMR, not the Pro, has better glass than what I have?
3. What can I get that has better glass but still be within $1k?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I don't post much here but do visit on a somewhat regular basis. I have been pondering on what to get for my next optic but not sure what direction to go. I currently own a Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44 (ET3124FJ) and a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 (800362). In the past I have owned an SWFA 5-25x50 IR. So this is the extent of my scope collection. As you can see, none of these scopes are anywhere near high end but they are not the crappiest options either. What I want is something similar to these but better glass. My eye sight is not what it used to be. I don't mind getting a used scope to save money. So the questions I have are:

1. Is a Vortex PST Gen II 3-15x44 or a 5-25x50 better than the scopes I have? Has better glass?
No (and I corrected your specs above as Vortex does not have a 3-12x50 PST II, only a 3-15x44). But the answer is no, the Bushnell Elite Tactical LRHS is a LOW design that to this day is a surprisingly good optical performer.
I would say no, the regular DMR is not going to be as good, the Pro might be.... but has a much higher erector and will be more finicky.
I'd agree with the above, for $1k the Burris XTR IIIi probably has the best glass. Primary Arms just came out with a 3-18x44 and Delta Optics just came out with a LOW designed Stryker 3.5-21x44 that has a decent FOV for the design (unlike the DMR which has a very narrow FOV - 25.5' @100 compared to 33.2' @ 100 for the Stryker).

But we don't know anything about the performance of these scopes other than the companies have produced some previous optics that punched above their class so if these scopes follow suit they could be really good.

Bushnell also released their Match Pro 5-30 recently, made in China but it’s supposed to be excellent for the price ($650-700).

Thank you for the posts. I fixed mine above as I guess I messed up the specs a bit. I'm not sure how helpful post #6 is. Not all of us can swing $4k+ optics. I like the sarcasm though. But #4 is definitely what I was looking for. I like LOW designs as the Bushnell I have is pretty good. That's the reason I bought it. The same for the Weaver. I like Japanese glass.

Follow up question:

What about the Bushnell Elite ERS 3.5-21x50 or the XRS line. I know they are discontinued but used are available. Do they have better glass than I have? As you can see I am partial to Bushnell because I have not used much of anything else.

Until you get to G3 glass, you aren't going to find anything that is "wow" relative to what you have. The FOV of the XTR3 will give the wow, so I would recommend that if you need a scope, but all the good Japanese glass is going to be quite similar.

Reactions: YotaEer
Follow up question:

What about the Bushnell Elite ERS 3.5-21x50 or the XRS line. I know they are discontinued but used are available. Do they have better glass than I have? As you can see I am partial to Bushnell because I have not used much of anything else.

The XRS is still being made and is an XRS3 6-36 now but above your $1000 price cap even used.

See if you can find a a Razor LHT 4.5-22 for around 1k. It’s a great package.

Reactions: YotaEer
Hello everyone,

1. Is a Vortex PST Gen II 3-15x44 or the 5-25x50 better than the scopes I have? Has better glass?

Thank you.
Given what in know more about the quality of build and glass that Primary Arms is putting in all their SLx and GLx scopes, I would recommend this…

I will be pre-ordering one soon to try out. 👍🏼

You're not going to get anything amazing at less than $1k, especially not Japanese. Maybe if you jump on the Natchez refurb deals if there are any left.

Chinese glass has come a long way, and it's the majority of the sub $1k market.

As always, I suggest looking for yourself. Outside, not in a store. And play with the diopter, get it set, run through all the parallax and turrets.
And if the store won't take you outside with it, find a different store.

Check out the Burris XTRIII

If you want the Vortex you’ll likely be happy with it. Just don’t throw the box away. Handier sending it back for repair if you keep the box

Thank you guys for all your responses and suggestions. I ended up picking up a Burris XTRIII 3.3-18x50 non-illuminated model from the classifieds. Can’t wait to get it and compare to my Bushnell.

Bushnell also released their Match Pro 5-30 recently, made in China but it’s supposed to be excellent for the price ($650-700).
OP won't be happy with the new Bushnell Match Pro ED based on what he currently has. The image quality isn't good on high magnification past 24x and my Athlon Ares BTR is clearer and doesn't exhibit the haze and fog the Match Pro ED has on high magnification at long distance shooting. Turrets are really mushy too compared to their cheaper Match Pro. A disappointment at $699.99. If I didn't have the Athlon Ares BTR and Midas Tac to compare it to I'd probably think the MPED was ok but the Bushnell is outclassed in this case.

Reactions: Bluedog82
The Vortex Razor LHT is unimpressive and should be priced lower more like $700 IMHO. You'd be much happier with a sub $1000 Tract Toric or even the Tekoa with tall turret kit for $559.

So my XTR showed up and I immediately put the Bushnell next to it for the side by side comparison. Since the Bushnell is a 3-12 I set the XTR to 12x and tried to see if I can see a difference. To my eyes I could not tell much of a difference. The FOV on the XTR is bigger than the Bushnell. CA looked about the same. Colors too. I will try to use it more and maybe spot a difference but so far it looks the same to me. My eyes are not the best and I do not have a ton of time behind scopes to know better. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

^Agree the glass is ~the same, I do think you'll appreciate the FOV when trying to see your shots, scanning areas, or getting back on after coming off of the rifle.

Reactions: FuhQ