• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

what semi would this be?

Texas_Republic

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2009
Texas
Ive been rolling around the idea of a long range semi.

In your own opinion, what semi-automatic rifle would be the most accurate at 1000 yards? I am trying to keep the price at about $2000 so I can have at least $500 to put towards glass. I know $500 isn't throwing much at it, but I will have to wait for another day to bite the bullet on a nightforce.

What caliber?
What rifle?

Do you think a turret scope is the way to go on this instead of those ballistic plex?

Re: what semi would this be?

Buy a DPMS 308 for around $1300 with a good trigger then spend $1200 on glass.

You could also go with a 243 upper if you want an little more choice in ammo options. 260 is a great round tho.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texas Republic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive been rolling around the idea of a long range semi.

In your own opinion, what semi-automatic rifle would be the most accurate at 1000 yards? I am trying to keep the price at about $2000 so I can have at least $500 to put towards glass. I know $500 isn't throwing much at it, but I will have to wait for another day to bite the bullet on a nightforce.

What caliber?
What rifle?

Do you think a turret scope is the way to go on this instead of those ballistic plex? </div></div>

i have yet to see someone with a gasser walk into the sunset with a smile on their face after besting a bolt gun at distance.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy a DPMS 308 for around $1300 with a good trigger then spend $1200 on glass. </div></div>

You might hold off on that until us LR-308 owners get good results from the DPMS defective mag-exchange that's currently going on. Not sure why DPMS isn't putting the info out there, but they had a large amount of 308 mags that went out that are bad.

Once we start seeing feedback on the new mags getting fired (or the Magpul 308 mags work) some of us will post up about the issue being corrected. Some are suspicious that it's truly not the mags...I'm one of them.

Otherwise, the DPMS 308's shoot pretty well. Go for broke on the upper if you can. Get that nice heavy barrel upgrade. It's going to be a heavy rifle anyway at 20 inches and .308 Winchester.

If you can't hold out for the feedback on the DPMS mag issue, then go for the Armalite AR-10 if price is comparable.

thanks for the input guys. appreciate it. What reviews do we have on this LWRC REPR?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texas Republic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for the input guys. appreciate it. What reviews do we have on this LWRC REPR? </div></div>

These are great shooters for a semiauto tank-equivalent AR platform. I've managed to keep sub-moa shots at 100yds with 165gr fmj on mine. Other than the cycling, DPMS has built an excellent 308 platform.

Some AR 308 shooters have expressed concern that the rifles do not shoot well clean and it tends to like to hold better accuracy with a little carbon in the system. That's been typical of several M-16's I've shot over the years, but my DPMS A15 isn't that way.

Downside: accessories are not cheap!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exhogflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OR just get least expensive DPMS 308 you can find and put on a match barrel lke a Krieger/Noveske/Walther. </div></div>

Krieger barrel upgrade would be VERY nice!

haha. Thanks REM300, but that LR-308 for sale is actually mine. I was needing the money at the time and decided to try and sell it, but some things fell into place and now I having some serious second thoughts about getting rid of it. I am just wondering if there was somehow something better. That gun is a tack driver, but I will be the first to admit that it gets a little tricky once you hit 700 yards.
I am just wondering if there is a semi-automatic would throw it out there farther for the price. I heard about the LWRC REPR, but dont know anything about it.

To stay practical, I'll bet most will say .308 Winchester or 7.62 NATO. I'd personally be custom loading my ammo at 500+ to help sure up my shots at that distance. I managed to pop a clay pigeon at 425 on South African .308 fmj (think it's 150gr), but some of that had to be luck as I truly wasn't familiar with the LR-308 just yet.

I'm not familiar with any field tests/reviews of sa's at 1000yds as most tend to prefer bolt actions for ranges at 1000+ unless you're going .50BMG.

Should I find anything on the DPMS stuff at 1000, I'll post it up for you. Hopefully someone has some 1000yd info on sa's as I'm sure others might like to know.

I was shooting next to a All Army shooter at Perry and he had a 308 lower with a Daniel Defense 4 rail forearm. I would go the whole can of beans and do a 260 upper with 26" heavy barrel on a flat top upper.

6.5 Grendel will outshoot the .308 any day <span style="font-weight: bold">in an AR setup</span>.

im sure ill get grinded for that comment!