• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What should a build cost?

Beyschaefer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2008
Behind the Redwood Curtain, CA
I'm not looking for a "quote" yet, nor am I trying to budget down the the dime... but I AM trying to rough out some costs so I can start selling stuff (guns, extra organs, blood...whatever sells).

I'm also trying to not set myself up for disappointment if I'm grossly underestimating things.

If a guy is supplying all the parts (action, stock, bottom metal, scope mount, barrel blank, etc etc), except maybe a few screws and container of bedding compound...
What would you expect a reputable 'smith would charge for "fit and assembly"? $500? $1200? $3000? I'm kind of in the dark here for a "package build" with all parts supplied.

I'm assuming consutlation with said reputable smith to make sure the parts supplied meet with his approval and comfort level.

Appreciate any input!

Re: What should a build cost?

most builds I have ever been around you might as well figure $6000 if you have to buy every piece and have the machining done aand buy the optic and mount!

barrel: $330-350
stock: H-S precision and up is $250+
thread, fit and chamber: $225-300
Bed job: $100

i did what you are talking and i have about 900 in to it. that is chambering bbl for cal, true rem action, bedding job and coating

Gradous charges $1250 if you supply Action, stock, trigger, barrel, ect... He will bed, install, mount, paint, ect.... Thats a good point to base things off of and you will have one of the top 5 builders ever. GAP has their prices for complete builds on their website, so between those 2, it should give you a good base. If you want a full out awesome build, figure $6-7k with optic as qouted above (premium Optic included, $4-k for rifle, $2-3k for optic)

So somewhere between $900 and $1300 labor would be reasonable with me supplying all parts in "kit" form...
That gives me a place to start!

Many thanks!
I've got a lot of decisions to make and parts to collect...

If you supply the barrel,action,stock and trigger then $1000-$1500 should get you a very nice build

Bartlein Barrel Blank: 350~
Badger M2008 Action: 1200~
AICS 2.0 Chassis: 1100~
Huber Concepts Trigger: $300
Gunsmith fees (Barrel thread, Cerakote, Chamber barrel): $600

Thats aproximates on my build pretty much all the prices are rough estimates as I dont have receipts in front of me but the total cost of everything listed there is around $3550. I fit the action into the chasiss myself as no bedding was required. Moon of Crescent Customs was my gunsmith and I would go back in a heart beat. I ordered pretty much all the components myself then had them shipped to the gunsmith. Hope that helps!

I went with a Savage due to the ability to swap out barrels and calibers relatively easily...

Action: $650 Savage SA-BE w/Accu-Trigger
Barrel: McGowen $450 (24" Fluted + threaded)
Muzzle Brake: $150 Surefire .308 Brake
Chassis: XLR $1000 (Damned accessories)
Gunsmith: About $300 to true and drop it in

Plan to get it Cerakote'd.

~

Vast majority of your cost really depends on what action you choose to go with...But, overall, for something decent, you're looking in the $2000 range easy by the end of the day.

the only thing the average dining room table gunsmith ( like me ) has to hire is the chamber/ crown - as part of the stiller GB last year this was only 200 per barrel - all the stock fitting/ inletting / bedding can be done with time and patience - or with a custom stock/ chassis this can be already done

If you figure $1200 you'll be close. True action, chamber and fit barrel, thread muzzle end, bed action and base, tune trigger, and finish. maybe a little more or little less, but it will be a good baseline expectation.

Well here is my 2 cents I have a Great gunsmith Rusty @ www.cmgunsmithshop.com/ I think he is the best in San Antonio that being said I supplied the action he trued I supplied the trigger the rest he had in stock or ordered this system is going to be a laser just the parts an labor ran me $2,400.00 that being said he trued the rem action went with a bartlein barrel tight bore 1:11.25 twist AICS 1.5 badger bolt knob and is cerecoting the barreled action now that's just for the rifle no base or rings or my atlas bipod. So in Texas at least that's not bad for the quality Rusty puts out. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry also to answer your question on how much a reputable smith would charge depends on what stock and what bottom metal you have what kind of in letting he has to do but I would say in Texas if you have all the parts $800 to $1,200 depending on barrel threading if you want also clambering especially if you are going to run certain pills through it there is a lot to factor in and a good gunsmith is gonna ask you a lot of questions as to what you wanna do with it and what not. A good smith isn't going to take you parts and say yeah it will be done in a week or so because then you know you will end up with a slap ass job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CHUBS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. A good smith isn't going to take you parts and say yeah it will be done in a week or so because then you know you will end up with a slap ass job. </div></div>

sometimes that is not at all true - if you actually have every part needed and the rest of the work in a shop has holdups, a 1000 $ of build labor should be well less than 30 man/ machine hours - in a 2 man shop this could be as little as 2 days - just have to hit it damn lucky

That's true depending if other builds are in progress and what time of year you are having it built some are busy in winter some are slow in winter same goes for summer also if you have a good relationship with your smith. Me personally I don't go the cheapest route possible but I don't get screwed either like I said depends on your smith if y'all have a good business relationship and friendship he will always take care of you.

900-1000 for custom action. 1200-1300 to add standard truing of Remington action. Gradous charges 1250 for build with custom action, I would say he is on the high side but as mentioned one of the best of the best.

I wanted to clear up any minor misunderstanding about my question... I could have been clearer.

I have accounted entirely for the COMPONENT costs (action, barrel, stock, bottom metal, etc).

I was inquiring more about the LABOR costs of whichever gunsmith I choose if *I* supply all the parts rather than just handing over a "spec sheet" of what I want.

Of course, I know that if I hand over an oddball set of parts that the 'smith has never seen before, or crap he can't work with to a decent standard, that's gonna change things, likewise if I want (think I want, need, etc) any out-of-the-ordinary chamber or throat dimensions. If I was going a "custom" caliber, I'd fully expect to be paying for the set of reamers, etc.

Like I said, I have lots of decisions to make and parts to collect before I start getting 'smiths on the phone for detailed talks - I don't want to waste their time until I have a better idea what I need to save up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REL1203</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gradous charges $1250 if you supply Action, stock, trigger, barrel, ect... He will bed, install, mount, paint, ect.... Thats a good point to base things off of and you will have one of the top 5 builders ever. GAP has their prices for complete builds on their website, so between those 2, it should give you a good base. If you want a full out awesome build, figure $6-7k with optic as qouted above (premium Optic included, $4-k for rifle, $2-3k for optic)</div></div>

Have to agree. Mine are averaging around $6-7k with high very high end scopes. My last ones was a little more as I flew to Robert's from outside the country to attend his building class. Every dollar was extreemly well spent for the time I had and the product I received from Robert

Accurate ordinance is very good about quickly sending out written quotes. Have not had them build my rifle yet but was impressed by the speedy response and the itemized professional quote. You can definitely tell it is a well run operation.

Price depends on a few factors. One of those is the overhead of the smith you hire. Some guys are lucky enough to be able to run a business from home where overhead is nothing. Others have huge overhead, and have to charge more. As you can see from above you have prices ranging from $600.00 to $1500.00 for fit, assembly, and finish. Using a smith with a well known reputation should be your first concern so you don't end up on the porch licking your your wounds after a good hosing by a hack. Best of luck.

It doesn't matter. Because if you have to ask...

The hardest part is finding a good 'smith who is also reputable. Spend your time and energy doing this, and do it well. Then, if he agrees to do work for you, whatever time you spend talking to him should not be wasted negotiating on price because you won't have to woory about getting ripped-off.

I can do my own bedding. I have a savage action so trying isn't really necessary, yet there are a lot of things that can be done to it diy style. So I'm having Phoenix custom rifles do what i can't. I've supplied them everything but the recoil lug. They are:
Cutting down, chambering, threading the breach for the action and muzzle for the break
Installing the barrel
Machining as needed and installing/ timing the apa brake
Making a thread protector
Cerakote everything
$800

I can do my own bedding. I have a savage action so trying isn't really necessary, yet there are a lot of things that can be done to it diy style. So I'm having Phoenix custom rifles do what i can't. I've supplied them everything but the recoil lug. They are:
Cutting down, chambering, threading the breach for the action and muzzle for the break
Installing the barrel
Machining as needed and installing/ timing the apa brake
Making a thread protector
Cerakote everything
$800

200-600 for action work
250-350 to screw on a barrel...if the smith contours the bbl, add a little more...do you want the muzzle threaded...a little more

stock work...do you want some skim bed or do you want a proper bedding job. Think of the bedding like the foundation of a house...the thicker the foundation the better the top structure will sit.

do you want bottom metal? that adds to the cost as well.

you can go as little as 100 bucks to thin skim bed it or as much as 700-800 bucks for someone like C. Dixon. If you think 700 bucks is a lot, just call him and see what he does (or look on this site). I've yet to see anyone that can do the job he does.

do you want it re-finished...200 will get you cerakote.

low end say around 800 or on up to better than 2K, all depends on what you want.

I'm doing what you are...getting Dixon to do it and I'll be spending around 1400, not including stock work

People he's got all the parts.. but as mentioned yes about 800-1200 is a safe bet. Give or take a couple hundred if u want more at some point.