• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What should I do with my Remington?

tt123

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2010
Denmark
I bought a Remington 700 SPS Varmint a while back, as I'd heard so much about the 700 platform.

So far however, it hasn't been working out for me. It's an accurate rifle, but getting that accuracy is really hard work. I also have a Tikka CTR, and get great results without anywhere near the same effort.

My first thought was that it was the stock dimensions that didn't suit me, so I've lengthened the stock, and built up a temporary cheek raiser. It's still a nightmare trying to get a comfortable and stable position where I'm perfectly behind the scope and rifle, so even a five shot group at 100m feels like hard work.

I've now decided that at least a good part of the problem is that the (admittedly cheap) scope that I have on it, has a very unforgiving eye box, and the slightest variation in my head position also seems to give obvious parallax issues.

Obviously the scope is going to have to go, but would it be best to change the stock first (so making it easier to get my head into the correct position behind the scope)?

Unfortunately I won't have the money to change both for a while.

Cheers
tt123

Just sell it to some hunter so him or his kid can use it once or twice a year. Waiting on funds to improve a factory 700 is no satisfaction guarantee in the long run.

Reactions: lash
.Obviously the scope is going to have to go, but would it be best to change the stock first (so making it easier to get my head into the correct position behind the scope)
How tall are you? Factory stocks are for average people, not everyone. Also sounds like your scope is mounted wrong. When mounting a scope, bring the rifle to your shoulder with your eyes closed, then open them. If you are not seeing threw the scope perfectly you have the scope mounted wrong or the stock does not fit you. The shadowing if any will tell you what you need to do.

I'm 6'1 an prefer my guns 3/4" to 1.5" shorter than factory stocks as in a hurry they do not get caught on clothing/coats ect, an they mount much quicker.

I agree with gunfighter, re-mount the scope and move forward or back so eye relief is as good as you can get it without craning your neck.

A stock pack can help get your check weld height just right, a lot of guys use mouse pads and duct tape. I’ve tried “ace” bandages and wouldn’t really recommend that as a permanent solution.

Get help. Gun fit is all important. You cannot hope to shoot a gun well if it doesn't fit you. Duplicate your normal shooting position with the scope off. Just get on the gun and feel what is natural and relaxed for you, If you are straining to get into position, you are doing something wrong. Stop that!! When you are comfy and relaxed behind the gun, find a scope mounting height that works for you and slide the scope back and forth, without you moving your head until you are centered in the eyebox. This is where a helper comes in really handy. You may have to change things like ring height or ring position on your mount but, unless you are a giant or have some weird ergonomic issues, you should be able to do this.

I just compared the eye relief etc. with my CTR setup. Pretty much exactly the same. I think I might need more height on the cheekpiece though, as if I get into a shooting position with closed eyes, I'm too low when I open them.

Maybe an adjustable stock like the KRG Bravo would help (I've been wanting one for a while anyway).

The scope I'm using on it is a Falcon Optics 5.5-25. It's not that bad to be perfectly honest, but I'd like to get it upgraded at some point.

Is there a reason you need to keep both? Unless they're drastically diff calibers (.223 & .308), you have a great rifle you like shooting and an okay one you might not.

Let the 700 go and put that $ toward more ammo and shoot the Tikka more.

This game is about shooting, not owning stuff you don't use. (my work schedule doesn't allow me to shoot often on weekends, so my safe doesn't get opened much anymore)

Reactions: tt123
Good point! No, I don't really need it, I just wanted to try one after hearing so much about them.

My plan was to have one rifle that was always ready to go (my CTR), and one I could play around with a bit.

Sell it and put that money into your main rifle in the form of lessons, ammo, a new range finder, kestral, etc.

Youtube how to bed your stock. (Its a cheap fix if you do it right) That and a new optic might change your mind. Maybe your issue is really the eyebox of your current optic. All other things being the same I would take a scope with a perfect eyebox with mediocre glass over one with amazing glass clarity and a terrible eyebox.

Reactions: Yerman