• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What size Badger Rings for a Nightforce 5.5-22X50?

700X7.62

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2009
USA
I just bit the bullet and ordered a Nightforce 5.5-22X50 with Zero Stop and the NP-R1 that will go on my new 700P. This should be a nice step up from the Mueller Tac-II I have been using!

I finally found this scope in stock at Credmore, last one, but they had NO idea which size Badger rings I need. I already have a Badger Ordnance 20 MOA base mounted and would like the get a set of Badger rings that will keep my scope close to the barrel but will stil allow flip-up covers.

Do any of you have a setup close to this and can recomend the proper size Badger rings to use? And would you suggest their Max-50 rings over their "normal" rings for just a .308? The damn rifle is so heavy now I don't think the extra weight would be noticable and they are only a few bucks more.

I still cannot believe I just spent twice the base cost of my rifle on a scope!!! I have always wanted a really nice scope and the Mueller Tac-II is currently the best I have, did a ton of research and I think this will best suit my purpose.

Thanks everyone!

Re: What size Badger Rings for a Nightforce 5.5-22X50?

I see you are in the early stages of the disease. Hang around here and you'll be a full-blown case by Summer!

Don't fret the cost for good glass. Other than practice, it's the best way to spend your money.

+1 on what he said, many pictures I have seen around use these medium rings for a 50mm objective.

My opinion, your .308 does not need Max 50 rings whatsoever, especially if you are using quality stuff like Badger. However, I too would be tempted to use them on anything bigger than a .22LR, as they look so good and you know you've got a rig strong enough to (still wouldn't) use the scope as a carry handle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EvilPistolGrip</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on what he said, many pictures I have seen around use these medium rings for a 50mm objective.

My opinion, your .308 does not need Max 50 rings whatsoever, especially if you are using quality stuff like Badger. However, I too would be tempted to use them on anything bigger than a .22LR, as they look so good and you know you've got a rig strong enough to (still wouldn't) use the scope as a carry handle. </div></div>

+1 on this advice. I just put that exact scope on a 700P LTR. I used Seekins mediums on mine which I believe are .870 high. I have exactly enough space to slide the bikini cover that came with the scope on and slide a piece of paper between cover and barrel.

Don't feel bad about buying the scope it will last your lifetime and is a great investment. To give you an idea while I was breaking in the rifle I shot 4 shots to zero the scope (shooting one shot then cleaning) then a 5 shot group that measured 5/8" at 100 yards then another 5 shot group that measured 3/4" at 100 yards (I had a flyer because I got so excited). I think you will be very happy with your setup.

Must be that time of year. I am just getting ready to order the exact same scope for my new 5R and was trying to figure out if it was worth the money and which rings would work. But after reading so much on this forum I have decide to bite the bullet and just get the nightforce rather than regret spending half on something I will never be happy with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Must be that time of year. I am just getting ready to order the exact same scope for my new 5R and was trying to figure out if it was worth the money and which rings would work. But after reading so much on this forum I have decide to bite the bullet and just get the nightforce rather than regret spending half on something I will never be happy with. </div></div>

Thats a wise decision! But also dont scrimp on the bases and rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phlii</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see you are in the early stages of the disease. Hang around here and you'll be a full-blown case by Summer!

Don't fret the cost for good glass. Other than practice, it's the best way to spend your money.

</div></div>

Early Stages???? Hell I have purchased TWO Remington 700's in .308 and a Nightforce Scope in the last month and have my eye on a Sendero II or a Sako in .300 / .338, I think I have moved past early-stage and am entering Chronic Stage. Bad timing I guess, I caught "the bug" just when I had some expendable income for once in my life - this could get as bad as that damn Saltwater Boat of mine. I must admit I am using the current Political situation as an excuse to buy just about every firearm I have wanted but could not justify the purchase, which I can now. I am over the Nightforce purchase price, now that did not take lme ong did it?

I ordered the Badger Medium Rings and did not go with the Max-50's, just the regular rings - Thanks for the advice guys! I will get to take my 700P to the range this weekend then off to GAP & will place an order for a Manners MCS-GAT stock today.

My question is much the same ,except my barrel is an MTU contour on a 700 action,badger 20moa base. The scope is either gonna be a Falcon Menace 44mm obj or the 56mm. I know thats a little vague but have not decided yet on which one . I have 2 sets of rings, Max 50's standard and set of med height.

Yeah LRD no skimping there I got a badger 20 MOA base and today when I ordered my NF NXS 5.5-22X50 NP-R1 I got a set of NF rings as I could not find medium height badgers anywhere and alex said they were gtg.