• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What size bushing for Redding type S die in .223?

Barney88PDC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2009
Ft.Worth, TX
Ok I did a search and it didnt turn up anything. On Reddings web page it list the range of bushings for .223 Rem as .244-.252 but I am somewhat skeptical due to them listing the .308Win as .335-.345. I have both the FL and Neck size die in .308Win and I use the .333 and .335 bushing and some guys on here have listed using a .331 bushing which are below the range that Redding list.

Now I know it is all going to depend on the brass you are using as well as the bullet being seated in said brass. I know Redding says subtract .001 from a loaded round and that determines the size bushing you need however most people subtract .002-.003 for .308Win instead. Is this the same for .223Rem? I was thinking sticking with a .002 difference.

So basicly I am looking to order the die and obviously need a bushing but I do not know what is a common bushing size that will get me started. So if anyone has any data please list bushing size, brass type, and bullet being used.

I will be loading once fired Fiocchi brass with probably a 55gr FMJ (not sure on brand of bullet yet list your favorite) Out of a 16" AR 1:9 Olympic Barrel. Thanks

Re: What size bushing for Redding type S die in .223?

You are safe on the .002" less than the case neck of a loaded round. Just be aware that different makes of brass can vary a few thousandths. I would suggest measuring one of your loaded rounds in several places both around the neck and from the case mouth to the shoulder. Use the smallest number and subtract the .002 from that. For match shooting I have bushing from - .001" to - .003" But MOST of the time it's -.002"

Good luck.

.245" seems to be the golden bullet for 'most' brass cases in 223/556. This being said, neck wall thickness varies a lot, much like .308 cases do, so a .243", or .244" might be in order for thinner neck walls and if you're shooting a bolt gun with thicker walls, maybe a .246".

If it's an AR, or a factory bolt gun with a blown out throat, don't forget the step-down bushing...say a .248", .249" or .250".

I've got a .244", .249" and a .250", but I'm not there yet.

If you could have only one, I'd think it would have to be the .245", from my vast readings.

Chris

" I was thinking sticking with a .002 difference."

You think good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">" I was thinking sticking with a .002 difference."

You think good.
</div></div>

It's a gas gun and by the looks of it, not a target/match grade gas gun.

.002" of neck tension (and accounting for spring back) might be a tad light, especially if you're seating the bullets deep, to begin with.

Chris

A Redding .246" bushing is a <span style="font-weight: bold">no go</span> with a .2460" pin gauge [just right for almost any brass].
A Forster factory honed .246" neck FL die is a <span style="font-weight: bold">no go</span> with .2470" pin gauge [too loose for half the brass].