• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing what size end mill

themayor

Minuteman
Jan 27, 2005
central Pa
anyone know the perfect size endemill for the anschutz rail ? ordered the rail n wanted to make sure i had the right endmill

Anschutz accessory rail or scope rail? If the scope rail it is an 11mm 60* dovetail. Been that way since the 1950's.

Accessory rails for stocks are just whatever it takes to fit it up.

anyone know the perfect size endemill for the anschutz rail ? ordered the rail n wanted to make sure i had the right endmill

Sure you're asking about an end mill, or some other cutting tool? If you meant an end mill for cutting a simple slot; you don't want the "perfect size", you want something undersized. Rough out the slot, then use a small finish pass on each side to clean it up to the dimensions you need.

i just used a 3/8 4 flute endmill to mill out the pocket for my accessory rail.....dont need anything fancy

Sure you're asking about an end mill, or some other cutting tool? If you meant an end mill for cutting a simple slot; you don't want the "perfect size", you want something undersized. Rough out the slot, then use a small finish pass on each side to clean it up to the dimensions you need.

The ends are radiused.

thanks guys i was just looking for a clean radius on the ends because that is how my rail that is coming is ill just take it slow thanks

That makes sense. On this, or any other part, if you don't know the radius the best way to figure it out is with a set of radius gauges. Assuming you don't have those, print out a picture with a bunch of concentric circles, and lay the part on the picture to use as a radius gauge. A quick Google Image search for "concentric circles" gives a bunch of options to choose from.

got the rail and have a couple more questions what would be a good compound to till the old tnuts with? once they r filled would it be about to drill near them for a new nut or would i have to stay a certain distance away?