• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what size redding bushing do i need?

jayjaytuner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2008
Geneva, New York
For .223 remington gonna be loading 77 grain lapua scenars

dont have the compenents YET...

figured someone would know to save me some time.....

its gonna be for a precision SPR ar-15 so im assuming .001 smaller than one for a precision bolt gun.

thanks for any help
jason

Re: what size redding bushing do i need?

Redding's directions say you'll need to measure the diameter of the case neck with a seated bullet, they suggest using a borrowed set of dies to seat a round in your brass, then measuring it. They then say to subtract .001" from your measurement and use that bushing.

Your best bet is to try it with your bullets and brass, I don't know if it's advisable to use someone else's number. I know that's not the answer you're looking for, but that's Redding's suggested method.

The key to the bushing size is the thickness of the brass' neck wall. If you know what brand of brass you're using, others can tell what bushing size they're using. It's best for you to measure the wall thickness or the diameter of a loaded round - your brass.

Take a loaded case {bullet, powder, primer} and measure the width of the neck in 3 places, average.

For a gas gun (semi) you want 0.003 in neck tension, so take the above measurement and subtract 0.003 from it and order this bushing.

Take a fired case and measure the neck in three places, average.

You only want to size the neck in 0.005 (0.006 max) steps. So if the obturated diameter is more than 0.006 bigger than the bushing determined above, you should consider using a second bushing 1/2 way between the above bushing and the obturated neck diameter.

got ya... i'v loaded a bunch for a bolt gun, but im new to reloading for semi-auto.

just waitin for my new caliper to get here, dropped a wilson case holder on the lcd screen part & broke the one i had