• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship What size steel targets?

glock24

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2006
    West Michigan
    I'm in the market for some long range steel targets, let's say out to 1000 yards.

My rifle is 0.75 MOA, but I've never shot it past 500 yards. My scope magnification tops out at 15x.

I'd like to buy some steel to practice that these longer ranges. What is a good size not only to see, but also challenge myself? Should I get a 10" circle to approximate 1 MOA @ 1k, or is that too small?

Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: What size steel targets?

Unless you shoot a lot at 1K I would get a 2 MOA target or 1 1/2MOA. You will frustrate yourself trying to shoot 1 MOA at first!!!

I have a 15" steel plate, I use there!!! Square!!!

I'll set a full sized IPSC target at anything past 500 yd. then put a smaller target next to it. Unless you have a very good spotter it can be frustrating to get on target at extended ranges. You can also paint smaller targets on the larger piece of steel.
    If your backstop is dusty or gives some sort of indication than smaller steel will work.

Targets-LVShooter out in Vegas
    Just the steel-guy here that went by Tango Alpha was selling a bunch of it. Don't have his contact info any more though.
    Dan

I just started shooting at 1K yd. I found a piece of AR400 plate 3/8" which is 12 X 15" for just under $60 at our local steel yard. This seems to work well for me at the moment. Easy to hit at 300yd, and a challenge at 1K in a 10mph wind. 3 days ago I managed 5 hits out of 10 shots, and the first 2 shots were hits. With the open center of the TMR reticle, I have no problem seeing the target at 1000yd on 10X.

I would just check your local scrap/ metal yard. For anything past 600 mild steel at least 5/8 inch will hold up for quite a while. At a 1000, my 338 with a 300 SMK only puts a small dent. The price on the scrap is normally quite a bit cheaper.

Well, my only concern is that I get to shoot long range steel infrequently, anything past 100 yards is hard to come by. A friend of mine lives about 5 minutes from a 500 yard club and when he's home from grad school we pack up and go bust water bottles at 300.

I'm all for cheap targets, so maybe I'll try some heavy steel scrap for swingers.

LV - right now I'm just doing research on the AR500 stuff since I'm rather tapped from trying to snatch up components when I can find them. What are you selling?

I know a bit about targetry. Heed this advice:
    Buy AR-500 from the start. But it from LV Targets and be done with it.
    Shooting mild steel is DANGEROUS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rifles Only</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know a bit about targetry. Heed this advice:
    Buy AR-500 from the start. But it from LV Targets and be done with it.
    Shooting mild steel is DANGEROUS.

</div></div>

Can you explain why shooting mild steel is dangerous? I have done it plenty of times with everything from 22 shorts through 30-06 with APs in them. Near dusk it's particularly gratifying.

I'm still not understanding why it's dangerous though. I know the jacket peels off and comes back towards the shooter with AP's, but if you're past 100 yards there's little if any danger presented by that. A peeled jacket flies about as well as a wad from a shotgun.

The round will sometimes come back to visit.
    Additionally, cold steel will cause more rics. That is just bad manners.
    Typically, the bullet will vaporize on hard steel. that is the best bet.

One thing I will add - think about how you intend to use it and where you intend to shoot i.e. what kind of stand you want and are you going to have to pack it very far.

I have a MGM IPSC Prescion Target with eye box and center mass doors that score by being blown open, and then you have to shoot them closed. When the COM door opens it is now (effectively) the size of an eye box. Real cool until you are way the f*ck out there and can not get the door closed. On the other hand you litterally feel like a king when things are going right and your are able to open and close the eye box at will from 650yrds. The other thing - that target is very heavy and sits on its own square tube stand. Since I primarily set up on steep slopes in the middle of no where I carry a pick axe and a shovel to dig a flat spot in the side of a hill and then pack the steel down the hill to the stand. Over the years I have taken a tumble or two packin steel in and out of the hole - it ain't fun. I finally cracked a tab that holds one of the doors on the other day with my .300WM. Otherwise that target has held up to several thousand rounds with no issues whatsoever. If I were to do it again, I buy an IPSC target with an adjustable self re-setting 4" lolipopper (hostage head) and a solid COM.

http://www.mgmtargets.com/products/product_page.php?cat=13

Good luck

glock24, I have 2 steel targets from MGM. 1 is 18x30 IPSC w/ a stand and other is 24x30 w/ a stand. My favorite by far is the 24x30. I can shoot multiple groups w/out painting out to 1200yds and plus @ 1000yds+ the 18x30 ipsc can be difficult to get on with unproven loads and/or guns. Its a little heavy, but it's worth it to me. Be careful, that challenging 1 moa target can turn into frustration real quick if you can't get on it.

http://www.tactargets.com/index.html I am not sure if he is a member here on the hide or not. I shoot with the maker of these targets. We shot his resettable target at AAC's last silencer shoot and it worked wonderful it takes a good solid hit upper 2/3rds or so to get it to drop.

I have 2 PT Hostage targets by action targets. They are 24x13 with a swinging 5 or 6" "bad guy" at the shoulder. We shoot these currently ot to 1000 yds. The only thing that has ever put a dimple was a 223 at 300yds. We shoot 270, 7wsm, 300 winmag, 338LM, 308, 300RUM, 45/70, 375H&H. Normally we shoot paper to 3 or 400 and then go to the steel but all rounds above have shot at 300 with no dent at all (except the 223). I htink these are around $280 each, great targets

I've got a bunch of the little MGM Auto Poppers on the sniper bases. The newest one is 8" round. Doubt I would try it at 1000 (or 500 for that matter) but it works great for everything I've shot at it so far. It's a lot easier to pack around too.

Thanks for the insight fellas. You've talked me into something bigger than my current 12" diameter setup

I'm going to order a 24" diameter target for 1000 meter shooting, especially since I've never done it before. I can always go smaller once I get some experience.

I'm glad I made my target stands big enough to allow for some growth!

Thanks

Picture071.jpg