• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What software / app for measuring group sizes?

garandman

Bad Advice for Free
Banned !
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2009
Huntington WV
That does this:

Thanx.

BallisticX for phone and On target for PC (that's what you have in your photo. OnTarget is more feature rich in terms of saving and zooming, plus has some other measurements/aggregates that can be useful. Along with the ability to put multiple groups on a single photo.

But BallisticX is fast, and super simple:

Reactions: tnichols
Ballistic X. You can add notes also to reference later.

Attachments

• C909A46C-0729-49E6-9E6E-926DBA57B461.jpeg
    C909A46C-0729-49E6-9E6E-926DBA57B461.jpeg
    342.5 KB · Views: 324
Reactions: crowsniper1
Yup Ballistic X. Who doesn't have a smartphone these days? Gives you zeroing corrections too.

Reactions: rydah
AFAIK, Ballistic-X doesn't do multiple groups on one target - you'd have to take separate images, or start over for each.

The picture originally posted is from On-Target Precision Calculator. There used to be a free version (v 1.x) and the 2.x version had more features and was pay-only (free trial period, though). It is Windows only, no love for Mac/Linux/Chromebooks.

There are some other apps out there like RangeBuddy/SubMOA, etc. that do have some more features beyond Ballistic-X, but doing detailed analysis of more than one group on a smart phone is kind of a PITA, to be honest. As far as web apps, Taran is not terrible.

If you *really* want to get your geek on, there is always shotGroups...

Personally I prefer doing it directly on my ShotMarker e-target when I can, but I wish it had a few more bells-n-whistles as far as the group analysis goes, but then again, one can always export the data to shotGroups ;)

Reactions: seansmd
AFAIK, Ballistic-X doesn't do multiple groups on one target - you'd have to take separate images, or start over for each.

The picture originally posted is from On-Target Precision Calculator. There used to be a free version (v 1.x) and the 2.x version had more features and was pay-only (free trial period, though). It is Windows only, no love for Mac/Linux/Chromebooks.

There are some other apps out there like RangeBuddy/SubMOA, etc. that do have some more features beyond Ballistic-X, but doing detailed analysis of more than one group on a smart phone is kind of a PITA, to be honest. As far as web apps, Taran is not terrible.

If you *really* want to get your geek on, there is always shotGroups...

Personally I prefer doing it directly on my ShotMarker e-target when I can, but I wish it had a few more bells-n-whistles as far as the group analysis goes, but then again, one can always export the data to shotGroups ;)
Nice info. Will have to check those out!

I recently found out Ballistic AE will measure groups.
It requires some work but it’s not overly difficult.

Noone uses calipers anymore?..lol.
I'll have to check those apps out.
Thanks guys

I just downloaded Ballistoc X after reading this post. I just say it doesn't get much easier.

I will now be shooting at 1" dots or graph paper so I have a reference for the app.

Range buddy. Works very well. These yellow target notes can be abbreviated so that they clutter much less.
shot_1559947111514.jpg

Last edited:
Range buddy also let's you post the average notes for all groups analyzed. So you get stats for each group and aggregate.
shot_1560022897071.jpg

Noone uses calipers anymore?..lol.
I'll have to check those apps out.
Thanks guys
I use SubMOA which is free of IOS. Funny thing is you need a reference distance for it to work so I get out the calipers, set to 1", scale with the app, outline my group, then measure. It looks nice when you're done, but you end up spending about 10x the amount of time you would if you just used the calipers to measure the group and subtract the bullet diameter.

Reactions: memilanuk
I much prefer a PC app than a phone app... Especially because I like to process several groups per target image. OnTarget is the best, IMO.
I made this video demo not long ago:

@Racer88 any chance of you making another video on the TDS functions?

Such as? I'm not an expert. I'm still learning. :) The only other thing I can think of that might make a good video topic are the "virtual groups" (or as I call them "composite groups."

Bingo. I've seen where people have used those for plotting OCW tests. I think the manual mentions it, but IIRC its a tad light on details on that particular facet. If you've got it figured out, a screen cast / video would be *awesome*.

Actually, this is more what I was referring to:

TDS_Data4.jpg

Where the process breaks down for me is the 'built-in' function that will automagically scan a target sheet (only one of the ones provided for download/print by OnTarget) only works with one shot per bull - not with three or five shot groups per bull, which is the way I typically do OCW testing. The 'ADC' number is kind of a misnomer, as its an 'average' of only one shot.

Getting from the big strung-out mess of the virtual group (like what you linked to) to precise, coherent information like this, but with 3-5 shots per bull... is where I was looking for info. And no, the developer isn't interested.

At this point, my current approach would be to export the point data from the groups to a CSV file and pull it into something else (spreadsheet, RStudio, etc.) and manipulate it to *make* a graphic like the one TDS produces for the one-shot-per-bull targets. Just haven't got around to it ;)

Last edited:
Actually, this is more what I was referring to:

TDS_Data4.jpg

Where the process breaks down for me is the 'built-in' function that will automagically scan a target sheet (only one of the ones provided for download/print by OnTarget) only works with one shot per bull - not with three or five shot groups per bull, which is the way I typically do OCW testing. The 'ADC' number is kind of a misnomer, as its an 'average' of only one shot.

Getting from the big strung-out mess of the virtual group (like what you linked to) to precise, coherent information like this, but with 3-5 shots per bull... is where I was looking for info. And no, the developer isn't interested.

At this point, my current approach would be to export the point data from the groups to a CSV file and pull it into something else (spreadsheet, RStudio, etc.) and manipulate it to *make* a graphic like the one TDS produces for the one-shot-per-bull targets. Just haven't got around to it ;)

Ummm.... no idea what that is. LOL! You lost me there. Where is that OCW function? I don't see it in the program.

Ummm.... no idea what that is. LOL! You lost me there. Where is that OCW function? I don't see it in the program.

IIRC, you have to look thru the manual - it's only available via hotkey. 'V', maybe? Not in front of a computer with OnTarget TDS on it at the moment.

IIRC, you have to look thru the manual - it's only available via hotkey. 'V', maybe? Not in front of a computer with OnTarget TDS on it at the moment.

Waaaait a sec! There's a manual? And, I'm supposed to read it? ;)

OK.... hot keys do not work for me. Weird. I found the in-program help / manual.

By "hot key," just pressing the letter should make the function happen? No CTRL or ALT? Just the key? None of it is working for me.

Scratch that.... got them working. Cool.

Still haven't found the OCW function.

Last edited:
This is Jonathan from Ballistic-X. I have been following this post for a while...we launched the App initially with a bare-bones version that was within our budget. Since then the App has done very well and we are re-investing for some updates for current $7.99 version, while also making a "ToolKit" that give users more comprehensive tools. If you have any suggestions as to what we should offer, please let us know!

As of now, we are tossing around some ideas: Rifle Log, Auto-Targets (App auto-recognizes target, reference size, POA...just mark impacts and score), True Range Zero Tool (Frank keeps mentioning the need for this)...and a few others

The ability for multiple groups on one target sheet would be the biggie, IMO.

Nice to have, but probably only really appeal to a (relatively) small group - options for other group size calculations like mean radius, CEP, confidence level, etc. sorta like what TARAN provides, but in a more mobile friendly app.

Reactions: ballisticxapp
The ability for multiple groups on one target sheet would be the biggie, IMO.

Nice to have, but probably only really appeal to a (relatively) small group - options for other group size calculations like mean radius, CEP, confidence level, etc. sorta like what TARAN provides, but in a more mobile friendly app.

OnTarget TDS does all of that. But, it's a PC app, not a phone app.

Berger-Hybrid-140-gr-multi-groups-composite.jpg

Fifteen-2-shot-groups-composite.jpg

...and hence, does not fill the same market niche as BallisticX does.

That said, I have OnTarget TDS. And if you *really* want to get your geek on, check out shotGroups... but be prepared to have to a bit more work.

That link brings me to this.... No idea what I'm looking at.

1574464356430.png

I wanted an easier way to measure shot groups in where I didn’t need special targets or had to mark an inch reference, so I built Ballistics Report.

Plus there’s a ton features, including global benchmarks for shot group metrics, charts and graphs to track improvements and a ton more.

Always looking for feedback so let me know if there’s something it’s missing. And it’s free to try.
IMG_1225.png

IMG_1223.png

IMG_1224.png