• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What solution for ultrasonic cleaning?

rusty815

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hey everyone, I'm going to be getting an ultrasonic cleaner soon and was wondering what you guys use for the solution? I hear water, vinegar and dish soap is a popular one, anything else?

Re: What solution for ultrasonic cleaning?

i used 50% water and 50% vinegar

then after that was done i used some of the birchwood casey case cleaner

with that said, if you can try and get into the wet tumbling with stainless steel media.

ultrasonic cleaning is a pain in the ass, unless you have a huge industrial machine

i now do everything in the rotary tumbler, and its much better

50/50 water and vinegar with one teaspoon of your favorite shampoo and teaspoon lemon juice. Shampoo seems to work better for me than any dish washing soap I tried. Rinse well. If you get the HF model don't bother with plastic tray. I run 50 .308 cases per batch and they come out great.

Crewchief, how many cycles (how much time) did you run the cleaner for with that solution? Also what cleaner do you use?

I run it one 480 cycle with heater on before dumping in the brass and then 3 x 480. I have the Harbor Freight unit.

Thanks Crewchief, I'll have to give that a try when I start reloading, I'm going to get the Lyman cleaner since it comes with a metal basket, it's the same as the harbor freight unit of I remember correctly.

I'll have to try the vinegar solution. I went to SS media a few months back and love it for cleaning and polishing, but now I'm looking around for a way to remove lube (usually Imperial wax). Tumbling in the old corn cob/walnut means cleaning out the primer holes and wiping dust (bad on arthritis) and SS tumbling means peening on the case mouths which have already been trimmed (a negative for the Giraud trimmer which puts that knife edge on the mouths, making them especially prone to peening).

I tried Dawn and LemiShine in a Lyman sonic cleaner but they still feel 'greasy' even after several cycles. Plus heating that solution for several hours stunk the house up pretty bad.

I prefer citric acid to vinegar. It's cheaper, easier to use (powder v. liquid) and doesn't leave weird colors on my brass like vinegar can (probably due to my hard tap water with lots of chloride).

I bought a container of citric acid from Lowes (sold as <span style="font-style: italic">Filter Mate</span> water softener cleaner) for about $6 and it is still nearly 3/4 full. I use a half-teaspoon in a full ultrasonic bath (I have the Harbor Freight unit) with about a quarter teaspoon pure detergent (sodium laurel sulfate) or I mix it up in a gallon jug to the same proportions (don't recall exact amounts). You can use regular <span style="font-style: italic">Dawn</span> or equivalent, but it has dies and perfumes, etc. with which, being an anal chemist, I don't care to contaminate my solution.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Filter Mate</span></span> at Lowes:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_272120-677-TO06N_0__?productId=3572834

I use Citrinox (sp?). I have a big ultrasonic cleaner - as in I can and do run 80 WSMs or 100+ 6x47L at one time. It has a heater and digital timer of 30 minutes,
laugh.gif

fyi it does cleans a lot better if the tank is warmed to roughly 40-50 degrees c during the process.

I rinse with water to clean them and let them drip dry in a high tech rack made from plastic 45 ACP ammo holders. I got roughly 7,000 - 8,000 rounds cleaned with the last gallon - which cost something like $45.00.

Jeffvn

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gene Poole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer citric acid to vinegar. It's cheaper, easier to use (powder v. liquid) and doesn't leave weird colors on my brass like vinegar can (probably due to my hard tap water with lots of chloride).

I bought a container of citric acid from Lowes (sold as <span style="font-style: italic">Filter Mate</span> water softener cleaner) for about $6 and it is still nearly 3/4 full. I use a half-teaspoon in a full ultrasonic bath (I have the Harbor Freight unit) with about a quarter teaspoon pure detergent (sodium laurel sulfate) or I mix it up in a gallon jug to the same proportions (don't recall exact amounts). You can use regular <span style="font-style: italic">Dawn</span> or equivalent, but it has dies and perfumes, etc. with which, being an anal chemist, I don't care to contaminate my solution.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Filter Mate</span></span> at Lowes:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_272120-677-TO06N_0__?productId=3572834 </div></div>

Sounds like a very good mixture, what kind of results do you get with this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Sounds like a very good mixture, what kind of results do you get with this? </div></div>

My regimen consists of: decapping with generic Lee decapper; into the bath for a 480 sec. cycle, then 480 cycle with tap water (rinse) to ensure dust and dirt are removed from the surface; let them air dry; anneal if needed (every 3-4 reloads); lube with RCBS PPG lube and pad, then size with FL, SB or neck only (depending on the source of the brass), then back into the Ultrasonic for 3 or 4 480 sec. cycles. At this point, depending on the primer (CCIs seem especially tough) some may still have some residue in the primer pocket. Being anal like I am, I run a primer pocket cleaner ( Lee) through the dirty ones and run them all again for a 480 sec. cycle, then final rinse.

They're not super shiny like SS media, but they are clean inside and out and I know that I haven't beaten them to death nor scraped brass off the surface.

This article was the most informative I've read yet on ultrasonic cleaning. Thanks for posting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cp3head</div><div class="ubbcode-body">check this article out: http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

I have also had good results with just some of the factory ultrasonic cleaner solution that everyone is selling. </div></div>

i tried gene poole's method, it does make a huge difference if you heat the water, one time i didnt heat the water as much and the results were still good, but i highly recommend heating the water and his method works very well, i am very meticulous about how clean my brass is, thats why i went with a ultrasonic, i will tumble them if i want to get them shiny in some corn cob.

After using SS so long and buying a Ultrasonic cleaner. I dont think the ultra can evan stand up in the same cat. Just my 0.02

your brass may be shiny but, at least the ultrasonic is not beating the hell out of the brass

Ultrasonic is probably the easiest on the brass, ultrasonic is almost as good and is faster, but less capacity.

Using an ultrasonic cleaner is extremely handy due to no dust, vibration and clean cases much, much faster. I add a drop of dishwasher soap that acts as a surfactant. I heat my water bath up and am very happy with its work.

I have had good results with using the birchwood casey brass cleaner. I use imperial wax lube and with the ultra sonic/heater combo it cleans them right up.

"ultrasonic cleaning is a pain in the ass, unless you have a huge industrial machine....i now do everything in the rotary tumbler, and its much better"

Ditto.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gene Poole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer citric acid to vinegar. It's cheaper, easier to use (powder v. liquid) and doesn't leave weird colors on my brass like vinegar can (probably due to my hard tap water with lots of chloride).

Just ordered 2 lbs of powdered citric acid. Anxious to try Gene Poole's recipe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Squarenut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gene Poole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer citric acid to vinegar. It's cheaper, easier to use (powder v. liquid) and doesn't leave weird colors on my brass like vinegar can (probably due to my hard tap water with lots of chloride).

Just ordered 2 lbs of powdered citric acid. Anxious to try Gene Poole's recipe. </div></div>

his recipe works great! i eye ball the recipe now a days, works great tho, make sure the water is def warm helps the cleaning process.

Ben Y

I have been using the Hornady US Solution with SS media and holy crap, does it work! I can now tumble for 45 minutes and get better results than when I used to tumble for an hour and fifteen minutes.

I haven't used it for Ultrasonic, but given that was what it was designed for, I imagine it is pretty good. Only downside is the cost. I wish I could concoct a home solution that worked as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been using the Hornady US Solution with SS media and holy crap, does it work! I can now tumble for 45 minutes and get better results than when I used to tumble for an hour and fifteen minutes.

I haven't used it for Ultrasonic, but given that was what it was designed for, I imagine it is pretty good. Only downside is the cost. I wish I could concoct a home solution that worked as well. </div></div>

I based my citric acid solution on the MSDS for the Hornady US cleaning solution (One Shot).

Very informative topic. Thank you to everyone who contributed!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gene Poole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I based my citric acid solution on the MSDS for the Hornady US cleaning solution (One Shot).</div></div>

I will have to try it then. The color and smell of the Hornady US threw me... It doesn't smell or look like citric acid... must be the detergent giving it the color and smell. There is definitely not any vinegar in there.

Just received 2 lbs of 100% anhydrous citric acid from Summit Craft LLC (see SummitCraftoh.com). Paid $13.95 and s/h is free.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sins4u33</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Squarenut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gene Poole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer citric acid to vinegar. It's cheaper, easier to use (powder v. liquid) and doesn't leave weird colors on my brass like vinegar can (probably due to my hard tap water with lots of chloride).

Just ordered 2 lbs of powdered citric acid. Anxious to try Gene Poole's recipe. </div></div>

his recipe works great! i eye ball the recipe now a days, works great tho, make sure the water is def warm helps the cleaning process.

Ben Y </div></div>

OK I will try this one

Used a citric acid solution in my ultrasonic cleaner today with really good results. I even cleaned some brass I had recently cleaned with the vinegar/water solution and it came out appreciably cleaner.

Thanks for the tip, I'm gonna use that combination from now on. Where did you get the pure detergent? Also, I'm assuming the proportions are with the HF 2.5liter unit filled to max with water?

What do you run it for 24 minutes? Do you do any baking soda cycles after to neutralize the acid, or even a water cycle?
Thanks