• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What sort of box do you use when shipping a rifle?

Red Ryder

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
What do you use for shipping rifles? Do you put the rifle in a gun case and then into a box?

I have a basic Plano gun case with the rough dimensions of 53"(L) x 9" (W) x 6" (D). I want to put the Plano case into a cardboard shipping box of similar dimensions and I've looked high and low and I cannot find any such boxes.

Am I being too careful? Would it be adequate just to bubble wrap the rifle and then put it in a shipping box?

I KNOW that in the past, I've found suitable cardboard boxes that, typically, pretty much fit the Plano case. This time though, no-go. I've looked online at UPS, UPS Store, Staples. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: What sort of box do you use when shipping a rifle?

I have something similar. I need a cardboard box to put the case in.

Make your own box out of several pieces of cardboard to wrap the Plano and tape the hell out of it.

Grocery stores, appliance places, Lowes and HD have lots of cardboard they'll gladly hook you up with if you ask.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tape the case shut and slap a label on it</div></div>

ups will charge you extra for that since it is an irregular shape, they have done it to me a few times, bastards...

I don't Pelican case is the only thing I will ship any of my stuff in. They are expensive but worth every penny.

As I have suggested before, for those wishing to subtle-ify their packages, there is the option of covering their case/box with a Fluorescent Light tube/fixture box. These things have a very thick cardboard construction wall, and are regularly ambiguous.

And 'fragile' as well.

You can get them for free from darn-near any electrician or lighting supply shop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tape the case shut and slap a label on it</div></div>

ups will charge you extra for that since it is an irregular shape, they have done it to me a few times, bastards...</div></div>

funny... last 1 I sent was $20... w/ insurance

Forget shipping the case unless it's specifically part of the deal. Just extra weight and larger dimensions to charge you for.

I've shipped gazillions of guns and typical cardboard boxes work fine. Wrap the rifle in a roll of bubblewrap, pack with newspapers, and you're done.

If you have to ship the case too, then just take it to the UPS hub. The other guy was right, they'll charge you extra, but it's like 5 bucks. Last time I did it with my UPS online account, they billed it as "cardboard fee", and what they did was they just boxed it themselves for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
funny... last 1 I sent was $20... w/ insurance </div></div>

He's right.

If you did it through your online UPS account and they picked up from you, you won't see the charge for a few days. That's how it happened to me.

I've always wondered that too OP.

The only time I've ever shipped a rifle off, was after I sold it... And even then my FFL would take care of shipping.

I'm shipping the rifle to Beanland. The only reason I would want to put the rifle in the Plano case is to PROTECT it. The cardboard box is only there to disguise the fact that I'm shipping a rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
funny... last 1 I sent was $20... w/ insurance </div></div>

He's right.

If you did it through your online UPS account and they picked up from you, you won't see the charge for a few days. That's how it happened to me.</div></div>

that is how they got me, it showed up a week later in an adjustment bill

I made my own boxes when I shipped my rifles, I work for a large manufacturing company so I was able to get some really heavy duty cardboard. It definitely makes the package more discrete than just sending it out in a rifle case.

Check with a local gun store. The new rifles they receive are shipped with the outer cardboard "sleeve". I'm lucky. My local UPS depot is a fishing tackle store that sells a few guns on the side. Whenever I've shipped a rifle to a buyer or to a gunsmith they have had a box.

I try to double box everything since I usually don't price longguns I sell as "shipped. Made a cardboard sandwich for the bubblewrapped lever gun I shipped yesterday and then slipped it in a bigger box.

A great source for boxes is a winter sports shop. Snowboard boxes are rugged and can be cut down to fit as needed. Ski boxes usually won't fit a barelled receiver and stock, but are great for just stocks.