• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship What Standard atmosphere do you use?

runngun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2008
Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
In all my reading about density altitude (relating to shooting), the Army Standard Metro atmosphere, 29.5275 inHg, 59°F, and 78% humidity is referenced. However, Kestrel meters use the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) International Standard Atmosphere (ISA) of 101.325 kPa (29.92inHG?), 15°C (59F) and 0% humidity. Also, JBM uses the ICAO ISA for its ballistic calculations.

Is there a way to change the atmospheric model on the kestrel to the Army Standard?

I guess I don't understand why shooters would use the Army Standard Metro atmosphere for ballistic calculations if the equipment measuring the density altitude is calculating a value based on the ICAO ISA.

Re: What Standard atmosphere do you use?

That's strange and a good question.
I'm in the aviation biz and whenever I've read stuff anywhere referencing standard atmospheric conditions I've always assumed that it was refering to 29.92 and 15C at 0 humidity.
Well, I guess that's what you get for assuming.
I can't help you with your question, but I sure learned something from your question!

Re: What Standard atmosphere do you use?

Its shouldn't matter what the standerds are as long as the readings are acurate. Any Baro/temp/humidity will give you a density alt regardless of what point on each scale is considered the zero for that persons perposes. Its is what it is. Hope that helps