• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What stock for a hunting rifle???

GRIM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm going to have a 338-06 hunting rifle with a #5 contour barrel built off a Rem 700 long action. I'm wanting to use a McMillan stock and have narrowed it down to either:
- "HTG"
- "Rem BDL"
The HTG is more tactical and holds up to a #8 barrel and the RemBDL will hold up to a #5 barrel.

Any other comments on these stocks or perhaps others? I don't like wood stocks only synthetics...

Re: What stock for a hunting rifle???

The McMillan Classic Hunter is another nice one. I have one on a 300WSM.

The HTG is known for poor ergos.

The Classic is a great choice, but might be a wee bit too small of a stock for a tube that big.

The Remington Hunter pattern is a good one for heavier tubes.

The Rem Hunter is an awesome stock!! It will fit well with a #5 contoured barrel.

Classic all the way. I've got several, including a 338-06 Imp and a couple others with #5's.

They'll damn near take a Rem Varmint contour.

depending on the type of hunting you are doing, put weight at the top of the list too.

there's almost nothing worse than dragging a heavy assed rifle halfway across the county.