• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

What stock should I get?

RockinRandall

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2010
Northen Utah
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">I have a Remington 700 5R in a 300WM and want to sell the HS Precision stock that is on it. I was going to buy a McMillan A-5 Stock but now I am thinking about buying the Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist A5 and then using the rest of the money on the action of the rifle. What are your thoughts on Bell & Carlson stocks? Here is the stock I am thinking about.</span></span>

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-108/mcmillan-a5-stock-tactical/Detail

Re: What stock should I get?

I have both,

There is nothing wrong with the B&C depending on what you are using it for. But it you ever decide to go with a McMillan that will tell you the differences they are HUGE. From the cheek rest the McMillan fits so much better the palm swell on the A-5 fits better, you can get them custom ordered with different weights I went sniper fill, that really helps even out the gun. Let us know what you are doing and what you are looking for if I had more time I could go into more details.

Pros for B&C it's cheaper and still gets the job done.

Man I gotta tell you, I recently picked up an a5(just shouldered it). It felt really weird. I then picked up an AIAW. Fit like a glove.

So make sure you feel one before you buy one.

Disclaimer: I am left handed (potential reason for the discomfort) and 90% of the people on this forum would say the oppposite is true for them...the a5 feels great and the AI chassis is awkward.

Just thought I'd throw the curve ball.

O and if I had to recommend an a-5 style, I'd say the Manners T4A. A little less wait time, bad ass paint jobs and in the future(or right when you order your stock) you can get the mini-chassis which will save you a lot of time/stress/cash with gunsmiths.

The B&C tactical A3 is a great stock. Sturdy, rigid and made my groups consistent. The B&C A5 never did it for me. Just didn't care for the looks of it that much. I have a McMillan A5 on the way.

If you are considering McMillan, then I would also look at Manners. I have 2 of their stocks and will definitely own a 3rd. The only problem is which one.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">Thanks for the info. I had never heard of Manners stock and checked out their website. I am very interested in their chassis system and hope they have it in a LA. I will keep you posted</span>.</span>

you can't go wrong with a Manner's stock or McMillan for that matter.

I really like the feel of the A5, and if you like heavy guns (good for taming recoil a bit...) then you should like it too.

With three ways of adjustment for the stock, there's really not a whole lot you can't change to your personal preference.

i too am interested in the pros and cons of each of the big stock makers

i have a 20 inch sps tac that needs a new pair of pajamas, and was all set on a wild dog heavy Varmint...(keeping home grown has alot of appeal for me personaly also) but now cant decide on a Manners T variant, as i have just found out that they are about the same price here in AUS............or near enough that it would be down to personal choice, not really price difference...

stupid multiple options....damn you remington for having so many aftermarket options!!!!!!!lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i too am interested in the pros and cons of each of the big stock makers
</div></div>
as far as the pros and cons - that will have to come from you. You really need to look and feel all the stocks to find out which one fits you the best. As far as the stocks; AICS, McMillan and Manners will support their stocks with good customer service.

I have McMillan Stocks and I have had H&S Precision but I recently received an AICS. The AICS fits me perfectly and is very comfortable. I have come to like my AICS 2.0 the best at the moment.

I've owned several B&C A5 stocks. They are excellent, readily available (you don't have to wait months to get a hold of one) and affordable. Don't let anyone fool you, the B&C A5 will serve you very well.