• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What suppressor?

timk311

Private
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2022
I know there is no one do all suppressor for multiple calibers but looking for suggestions on one suppressor that I’d mainly use on 308 bolt rifle and sometimes on an AR 5.56.
I know it’s better to have dedicated suppressor for each but right now just getting one.
I was considering the Dead Air suppressors.
My main desire is sound suppression.
2nd would be size/weight
Flash/signature suppression isn’t something I’m worried about

A lot of different ways you could go.

One thing to consider with suppressing ar15's is blowback. Suppressors with higher "back pressure" will have more blowback, and will be less pleasant to shoot.

This can be partially mitigated with adjustable gas blocks and gas busters, but suppressor design also influences this.

Cans like the Abel Co Biscuit and TBAC Dominus will be better for this application. Avoid full on flow through suppressors, they are not optimal for bolt guns.

If suppression is the #1 goal, volume is king (all else equal). Think TBAC .338 Ultra or Magnus. But this comes at the cost of weight and length.

Suppressor are fairly fit for purpose. To make them excel in one area, you usually have to compromise in one or more other areas of function. Personally I think good generally purpose suppressors that you can then expand from are the TBAC Dominus, Abel Co Biscuit and KGM R30.

If you want to go Dead Air, the Nomad is the obvious choice for bolt guns from their lineup. Not sure how well it works on the AR-15 platform, it probably has more back pressure than the Sandman, but it's certainly an option.

Reactions: Digetydog
Thanks for the suggestions I’ll check those out
Lots of great options. It's just a matter of finding the one that has the best balance of performance vs compromises for your specific needs.

Lots of different ways you can go with this. Ultimately you are going to end up with multiple suppressors, lol. They are addicting.

Reactions: FatCow
Dead Air Sandman S is going to be a good compromise to do both. And when you want a dedicated bolt gun can get a nomad L.

Think I’m going to focus for now on a dedicated suppressor on the 308 and pick up another one later on for the 223.
I’ll be researching all those
Thanks

I run a Dead Air Sandman-S as my do-all rifle can.
- 5.56/300BLK/7.62x39/6.5CM/.308
- ARs and bolt guns, AKs.

As a lefty, I appreciate even more rhe reduced back pressure on semiautos.

There are lighter and perhaps quieter options for a bolt gun, but to me it’s a good compromise. And I think it sounds pretty damn good too.

Honestly, I know you said you weren't wanting two cans, but that would be best for your applications. However, there are cans that will work with both.

The "universal 7.62" suppressor option would be the Dead Air Sandman-S or Nomad-30. Either will be a great can for a "do-all .30 cal can". And will sound great on both a 5.56 AR and a bolt-action .308 Win. And they're both rated for up to .300 WinMag if you ever want to put it on something larger.

If you are interested in getting 2 cans (one for AR's, and one for bolt-actions), which IMO, is the best option... I would recommend a Dead Air Sandman-S or Nomad-30 for the semi-autos, and a lightweight titanium can like the Dead Air Nomad-Ti or Nomad-LT, or the Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S or Hydrogen-L for your bolt-action and hunting rifles (both are in the $1,000 range). The Thunderbeast Magnus HUB would be a great option, as well...But that can alone is in the $1,500+ range, not including any stamps or taxes or transfer fees.

When it comes to prioritizing a bolt action, thunderbeast arms is the only option I see. If you need to compromise, the dominus.

I keep a dedicated OSS can on my 5.56 SBR because it's going to be loud anyway, having no gas in my face is better and it's still borderline ear safe. Also, I don't have to touch it because it pushes itself back onto my barrel. Only just getting back into the long range game, so I'll be using a YHM R9 off of my 9mm on whatever .308 I get soon, but eventually it will have it's own TBAC Ultra 7 or 9 Gen 2 (CB).

My brother has a Mauser and an 5.56, he also uses the dominus. If you are prioritizing a bolt action rifle, TBAC.

I'm looking hard at the Diligent Defense Enticer L-Ti for my 308 bolt gun. I don't really see any reason to spend several hundred more on some of the other options mentioned when the performance is just as good, if not better, with a lower weight to boot. I run an OSS HD 7.62Ti on my gas guns although I'm currently using it on the 308 bolt and it does just fine. It's been a great all-around suppressor for 308, 556 and 300 blackout. And the mounting system is just so easy and practically failure proof.

Reactions: AirgunnerPCP
Own a Dead Air Sandman S, which I most run on assorted AR's, but also one bolt gun. This would be a great do it all choice. It can handle mag dumps from a short barreled AR, doesn't have much back pressure (which I appreciate as a lefty) and has a great QD system, so it's super easy to switch between rifles, which is something you should consider.

The other possibility if you're looking at Dead Air would be the Nomad. It's a little lighter, and I believe is a little better at suppression. Not sure about back pressure. Honestly, this would probably be a better choice if you don't plan on doing mag dumps. And if you want to drop a couple of more ounces use the Xeno mounting system, rather than KeyMo.

Or if you're willing to watch you temps and wait a couple of minutes between shooting mags. in your AR, the Nomad Ti would be an outstanding choice. All the suppression of a Nomad and it is ridiculously light. But it is titanium, so no back to back mag dumps. And I wouldn't run it on a short barreled AR.

Reactions: awpk03s
Out of the ones suggested for dedicated bolt rifle I think Im going to pick either:
TBAC Dominus or the Ultra 7 (pretty expensive though)
or the Dead Air Nomad Ti

If I decide to get one for double duty, Im really liking the Abel Biscuit at only 5.5" but dont think it would suppress the sound as much as the others being so short?
Or the Sandman S

Out of the ones suggested for dedicated bolt rifle I think Im going to pick either:
TBAC Dominus or the Ultra 7 (pretty expensive though)
or the Dead Air Nomad Ti

If I decide to get one for double duty, Im really liking the Abel Biscuit at only 5.5" but dont think it would suppress the sound as much as the others being so short?
Or the Sandman S
I don't have my Abel Co Biscuit, so I can't comment specifically on noise reduction. It is a fatter can, so that certainly helps to a degree.

However, it isn't always about maximum suppression. Suppression is great, but there's other attributes that matter as well. Noise reduction is very nice, but even more so I enjoy the reduction in concussion - which most suppressors do well.

Also, how a suppressor influences recoil is starting to become a more desired feature in precision rifle suppressors. The Biscuit does this very well, and the KGM R series is another that provides a better recoil impulse.

For what it's worth, Frank has recently stated that the Biscuit is currently his favorite precision rifle suppressor. Ultimate suppression is great, but not the be all end all.

Well, I have two Rex Silentium cans which are pretty identical but they were first and are cheaper so I'll chime in. Look at Rex's MOD X. It's a modular with a 5.6" K base and an additional 3" module that makes it an 8.6" L can. Best of both worlds. I shot the K version on my AR next to my buddies Dominus SR shooting at the same time. Standing at the guns you could ....just...tell the difference but 20 feet away they sounded the same. With the "L" extension on it and a .30 cal endcap on my 6.5CM AR-10 its quieter than my Dominus.

The Rex cans seem like a great deal, especially when they do their black friday deal (which may not happen again).

If they do their black Friday sale again, I'll probably pick one up.

Personally, I think people put too much stock in pure sound suppression when it comes to suppressors. Pure sound suppression isn't everything. Though volume certainly starts to matter when you start burning a lot more powder.

I will repeat what others have said. Putting sound reduction on the top of the list is a mistake in my opinion and experience. I have 2 9” 30 cal cans that sound great but they are long and heavy. I don’t like actually using them in the field. And when I am using them in the field I client really notice a difference between my “quiet” cans and my friends shorter “louder” can unless I’m listening for it.

I think the dominus, Abel biscuit, dead air nomad ti, KGM R30k are the sweet spot for someone’s first can. All very useable size, and versatile. Then you can start buying more specialized cans later if you want but these will cover a lot of bases other than maybe mag dumps.

I’m currently waiting approval for a KGM R30K to replace one of those long cans and trying to decide between a dominus or Abel biscuit to replace the other.

Reactions: FatCow
There is certainly no can that does everything perfectly. I wear ear protection most of the time when shooting suppressed. I just enjoy, and shoot better when the concussion is dampened. Only time I shoot without ears is hunting, or shooting subs in the 300blk and 22lr.

So for me, shorter, and lighter, to a point make more sense and will get more use. Won’t be the same for everyone.

I will repeat what others have said. Putting sound reduction on the top of the list is a mistake in my opinion and experience. I have 2 9” 30 cal cans that sound great but they are long and heavy. I don’t like actually using them in the field. And when I am using them in the field I client really notice a difference between my “quiet” cans and my friends shorter “louder” can unless I’m listening for it.

I think the dominus, Abel biscuit, dead air nomad ti, KGM R30k are the sweet spot for someone’s first can. All very useable size, and versatile. Then you can start buying more specialized cans later if you want but these will cover a lot of bases other than maybe mag dumps.

I’m currently waiting approval for a KGM R30K to replace one of those long cans and trying to decide between a dominus or Abel biscuit to replace the other.
The Biscuit is a stainless steel hard use can and can take mag dumps, from what Ive read, not a lightweight titanium like the others

Reactions: Baron85
Dead air nomad!!!

I bought the L to start with, since it'd be on a bolt gun, I wanted the most noise suppression...

I have a nomad 30 in jail now. they are great cans

Reactions: Digetydog
I *hear* CGS Hyperion is a good choice. Especially if quiet is important.

Sure, but a 5.5" 30 cal can on a blaster AR is also not the answer. Ask me how I know.

I guess I will find out (hopefully soon) :p

Currently using the wife's Omega (6" can with 6.5mm endcap) on the AR-15, and from a blast/concussion perspective it's not bad at all. Pretty gassy though, but I guess the Omega is considered a higher back pressure can.

Own a Dead Air Sandman S, which I most run on assorted AR's, but also one bolt gun. This would be a great do it all choice. It can handle mag dumps from a short barreled AR, doesn't have much back pressure (which I appreciate as a lefty) and has a great QD system, so it's super easy to switch between rifles, which is something you should consider.

The other possibility if you're looking at Dead Air would be the Nomad. It's a little lighter, and I believe is a little better at suppression. Not sure about back pressure. Honestly, this would probably be a better choice if you don't plan on doing mag dumps. And if you want to drop a couple of more ounces use the Xeno mounting system, rather than KeyMo.

Or if you're willing to watch you temps and wait a couple of minutes between shooting mags. in your AR, the Nomad Ti would be an outstanding choice. All the suppression of a Nomad and it is ridiculously light. But it is titanium, so no back to back mag dumps. And I wouldn't run it on a short barreled AR.

I have the a Nomad and a Sandman in ATF Jail.

If the bolt gun is the priority, get the Nomad with the direct thread adapter since it is the lightest option.
- also have an Area 419 adapter for my Nomad for use with my precision rifles.
- you can buy an adapter to use pretty much any muzzle device setup since the threading is standard.

With the Sandman, you cannot do that.

I have the a Nomad and a Sandman in ATF Jail.

If the bolt gun is the priority, get the Nomad with the direct thread adapter since it is the lightest option.
- also have an Area 419 adapter for my Nomad for use with my precision rifles.
- you can buy an adapter to use pretty much any muzzle device setup since the threading is standard.

With the Sandman, you cannot do that.
Mounting is certainly a consideration, especially since the OP will be mounting across different platform types.

Almost certainly, the bolt gun and AR-15 will have different threads. If either gun will ever be shot unsuppressed is a consideration as well. What muzzle device works well on a bolt gun may not be optimal on an AR-15, and vice versa. So diversity in muzzle device options on your chosen mount type will be important.

I would just advise against any of them that come apart to clean; unless of course it's a rim fire can. Something that is "Limited Full Auto" or "Full Auto" rated would be best for an AR; especially if you like to shoot it fast.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the decibel rating either, the biggest advantage to a can is reducing the concussion. There are some legit studies on concussive hearing loss.

I think Ive pretty much narrowed it down to the TBAC Dominus for the bolt rifle and pick up a dedicated 5.56 suppressor later on.

However Im still considering the Biscuit and the KGM R30 (not the 30K. I just dont know if that one will be as capable as the others on a 308)

Reactions: kthomas
I love my trash panda. cherry bomb adapters can remain on gun, so you get one foro 30 cal and one for 556. then you just move it between guns. i use mine on 308, 300blk, 556. works for me.

I may have missed it, but I didn't see any posts about thread size. Smaller barrels generally get a 1/2 x 28 threading: but larger, like a 308, has 5/8x24. If you do go with a 308 can, make sure if you get the 5/8x24 that you get an adapter for the smaller barrel, if needed. You can get the larger cans in Titanium which will up the cost, but bring down the weight. And don't forget to buy the heat resistant covers!

I may have missed it, but I didn't see any posts about thread size. Smaller barrels generally get a 1/2 x 28 threading: but larger, like a 308, has 5/8x24. If you do go with a 308 can, make sure if you get the 5/8x24 that you get an adapter for the smaller barrel, if needed. You can get the larger cans in Titanium which will up the cost, but bring down the weight. And don't forget to buy the heat resistant covers!

Appropriate suppressor cover is pretty important when an AR-15 is involved.

Had to melt one suppressor cover to find that out the hard way. Had to upgrade to a Rifles Only HAD cover.