• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What takes duracoat off?

Re: What takes duracoat off?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lucky308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like the title says, what takes duracoat off?</div></div> From what I have been told/heard. If its hardened / fully cured then = Need to blast it off.

Have a great one,
FTK

#120 grit Alum. Oxide and about 80 psi....
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

You can always go over it if you want to change the look...

i like 60grit myself heh

paint stripper some times acetone...all depends on how new it is. (I mean like with in a few hours to maybe 24hrs)

I know for a fact that acetone and a scotch brite pad will take it off pretty quickly. Wear heavy rubber gloves as acetone is not nice to your skin and it will eat right through surgical type gloves.

I've stripped off old old Duracoat this way.

Don't know if it works for this but it prolly will. It removes powdercoat pretty easily and powdercoat does NOT sandblast off.. Permatex Gasket remover in the spray can.

Put TM solution on it, but it needs to stay wet with it.

By the next morning you should be able to wipe it off with a rag.

Here is a removal product that I try before anything else when I don't have a perfect Plan "A". Can't vouch for it with duracoat.

Easy off oven cleaner. I used to use it to remove anodizing from aluminum bike parts when I was a kid. Then again, back then I was elbow deep in solvent tanks and used gas to clean my hands. (P.S. Don't worry, my son has all eleven fingers)

Spray it on a small area and let it sit. Wipe and check.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: veezer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out this tutorial that I did a while back.

How to remove duracoat </div></div>
Nice post, looks like it works good. My problem is doing this on a scope looks like this is too strong.