• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What the heck?! Extractor is eating up brass Help!

Black-X

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2006
Kentucky
Had this in the gunsmithing section but thought I might be better served here.

I think my extractor is scraping the crap out of the case rim on my .308 Remington 700p. I have a bunch of little flakes/slivers of brass getting into the action of my rifle and I want to put an end to it. I can see bad rub/cuts/scuffs on each of my cases when I shoot and cycle rounds through the rifle. What is the cure for this? Is this something I can fix or do I need to get it to a smith?

Thanks,

-X

Inside the chamber
1003134.jpg

Bolt face
1003145.jpg

Brass gouges, located at top center
1003147.jpg

Re: Extractor is eating up my brass in a Remington 700

I am the second owner but it is a factory rifle (700p). This rifle shoots well. Extremely well in fact. Would Remington do anything about this being that I'm the second owner, replaced the stock with an AICS 2.0, had the barrel cut back to 22", and also had it recrowned/threaded?

I wouldn't care too much to tackle this myself if it's not too difficult or I don't care to run it to my smith if it isn't too bad of a fix.

Any ideas?

-X

My rifle used to do that with the Fed and Lapua brass cause they are soo soft, the extractor is pretty sharp on that brass and if you can, all I did was take a small file to the edge and dull it up a bit and it solved my problems. Don't flatten the edge just dull it up a bit. Get a magnifying glass so you can see the sharp edge and use the file with it so you can see what your doing. Be gentle as you don't want to gouge anything like your bolt face, it doesn't take much and you can see with the magnifying glass that it gets smoothed out, mostly at the start of the extractor where it starts to catch the brass on the sharp edge. If you don't feel confident then have a smith do it.

Thanks for the info. So basically just lightly file down the leading edge of the extractor. What kind of file do you recommend?

-X

Since the rifle in molested-Remington won't touch it.

Use a cratex wheel & deburr the extractor or replace the extractor-your call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since the rifle in molested-Remington won't touch it.

Use a cratex wheel & deburr the extractor or replace the extractor-your call. </div></div>

NO IDEA how to replace the extractor.. But, Keith at AZ Precision is going to take a look at it for me since he's installing a bolt knob for me next week. Hopefully he will know what to do and if not, I'll probably just go ahead and hit it with a file and/or a cratex wheel. I actually have a block of cratex like material for snowboarding and I could cut off a piece and try that.

-X

The extractor (rivetless) is a $12 piece of spring steel you can buy through brownell's (part # 767-918-160) , midwayusa (part # 148258), etc. Just tack one on to your next order.

Good idea to own a spare. They've been known to break, and like guns in general, it's better to have one and not need it, etc.

It comes out really easy with a sharp pointy thing like a brake spring tool or a dental pick, even a pocket knife/tool if you're careful.

a womans nail file works perfect.