• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

what the heck is Fusion ammo?

Tib's sps.tac

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2010
I couldnt find a specific "ammo" forum to post this so i thought what better than the rifles section.

Anyway, i typically use either remington 165 grain Accutip or Hornady 165 GMX for my .308. I find these rounds virtually interchangable as they both match my ballistics calcs and scope set up.

I was at the range today, ran out of hornady, and the only ammo they had left in .308 was Fusion ammo in 165 grains. I thought it was junk ammo but i shot just <.5 MOA with it! Does anyone know about this ammo and if its good as some of the other ammo giants?

Re: what the heck is Fusion ammo?

Fusion is an electroplated jacket on a lead core. An economical version of a bonded bullet.

It shoots pretty well and is effective on game, I hear.

BMT

As you have found out, it is an inexpensive ammo line produced by Federal. It has been noted to be very accurate, and is quite popular. It's good stuff, for a good price.

Fusion was literally half the price as the Federal and Hornady rounds. Im going to switch over for a bit and see it this stuff is legit.

I'm waiting on Fusion component bullets to hit the market. I want to see what I can get them to do in my 308 and 300WM.

I have been using them on deer for a couple of years now. They seem accurate enough, and do their job well.

Got my moose with a 180gr Fusion 300WSM. Took one shot through the shoulder and it dropped it like a switch was turned off. Good stuff

They seem to be a highly accurate round. I know that shoot in my kimber .243 as well as anything else I tried.
But they are a cheap bonded bullet, that have alot going for them.

Wow, you guys are the exception... I have sighted in about 40 rifles using Fusion over the last 3 weekends using the Fusion ammo in everything from .243 to .25-06 to .270 to .30-30 to .300 Win Mag and have yet to find a gun that shot it well. Never saw sub-MOA with it even 3 shots shooting off a sled. Average was about 2" which is OK for hunting out to 300 or so I guess.

But, hey... if it works for you guys there is a whole lot of upside and savings!

I will say it is MUCH better than the new Hornady "Superperformance GMX." I like Hornady, but this stuff just plain don't shoot well. Pretty box though! LOL!

I used Fusion 150gr in my 308 for one season until that batch dried up. The next batch was not as accurate but still mostly under an inch at 100yds. The first batch was mostly under an inch at 200yds.
Only had one bullet fail, retrieved about 5 bullets and weighed them. The lightest had 84% retained weight and the best 94%.
I think it is one of the best bullets I've used.
The one that failed was shot at a slightly quartering (almost square on) towards me sika doe, the bullet hit the shoulder, broke up and she had two exit wounds. One left side of the belly and one right side belly.?? Nothing penetrated the chest cavity.

edi

this stuff is super tough, i shot it at some mild steel a few years ago and compared it side by side to several other bullets and other calibers and it had some surprising results.

The test targets were 6" long 2 inch OD pipe with .5" Wall Dia. I first shot at this just to see what it would do with my .270, it punched in one side and out the other like butter, it went through an inch of mild steel like it did not exist... we tried some full metal jacket, other soft points, whatever hunting ammunition we had lying around in several different calibers including a 300 win mag. nothing besides the fusions fully penetrated. the 300 win mag went through one side, bulged out the other but did not go through, the second best was 30-06 with fmj and it dimpled the inside wall but nothing more. several did not even make it through the first half inch. to clarify what these scraps of metal were they were leftover from a pipe fitters union welding test after they passed the x-ray and metallurgy exam for structural integrity. one of the .270 fusion round even went directly through the weld in the center of one pipe....