• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What the hell kind of reticle is this?

vferguson3006

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2009
Maine
Before you laugh, here is the rest of the story.
I picked up this older Tasco "tactical scope" with the QR rings, base and scope for $28.50
Mounted it on a 700Pss .223 and other than the fact the stadia lines are so damn fat, it tracks out and back to 300 yds. with no problems. Goes back to zero, will allow me to shoot under a MOA @ 200 yds, no problem.
So, for under $30 bucks I got a pretty nice POS with a weird reticle, havn't tested the big fat curved lines yet.
Any ideas, seen one like this before?
Thanks, JOE
28scope.jpg

28scope2.jpg

Re: What the hell kind of reticle is this?

I believe the intent of the stadia is to estimate range based on the average width of a man's shoulders.

Idea being that you would bracket the target's shoulders and estimate the range based on which level they fit into.

I have no idea what range each line is supposed to correspond to, there was probably a card with the scope originally that explained it.

The guy I bought his from got it on an AR15, he couldn't make sense out of it, so he just wanted to get something out of it, $30 was his price,I have only put 50 rds. through it just to see if it would hold track and hold zero, next batch of ammo is to see what the reticle will tell me at 100yds, I was in hopes their was someone who had seen this before, MOA? or MIL?
I have seen some Horus scopes with something similiar, this older Tasco may have tried to copy them somewhat.

I've seen that same reticle in an NC Star scope. Some website may have the subtensions listed or a diagram to help.

Looks kind of like a shot glass with demarcations as to how full to pour depending on your degree of thirst
smile.gif

Austan you the man, I found it using all the info. from you guys, it is based on a man's shoulder width. The upper lines are in MOA, the curved lines are based on 18" shoulder width, they call these lines "choke lines", each time the target gets further away, as you drop down, its in 50 yd increments.
I never would have found this with out the Hides members help.
If the scope don't blow up after a couple of hundred rounds I will use it on a .22 or .17 gun.
Thanks, JOE

You might have bought a Tasco (or chinese knockoff tasco) airgun scope.

Here is the same thing with a ZOS brand name on it. Those are Chinese copies of Tasco's.

http://airsofthunting.com/goods-21-ZOS+6-24X50+ESF+Side+Focus+Crosshair+Rifle+gun+Scope.html

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?...-for-airgun-use

Of course, if it's working... you can't complain about the price.

Reticle reminds me of one I have seen... possibly Shephard or maybe one on a Russian Dragunov. But I can't pin it down. My first thought when I saw it was that it looked sort of like an Eastern-bloc reticle...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Could not tell for sure myself. Looks like a combination of a couple of different ones mixed into one to me.
crazy.gif

Sirhrmechanic, that's the scope in your link, only difference is this one actually has Tasco etched on the adj. objective.
weird, it seems to have two different variations of reticles in one scope. MOA, and "choke lines" turns out they are calibrated on the scope's lowest power setting.
Well, I hesitated on buying it, we have all wasted $30 on something that is still in the box somewhere that never got used.

How come?
You know of someone with a bad experience with one like this?

$30 these days doesn't buy half a tank of gas and a 9-piece box of McNuggets.

Put it on an air rifle or a .22 and have a good time. Or Paint Hensoldt on it and sell it to a bi stripper doggie-daycare contractor sniper... I think he goes by the handle of Diamond....

Cheers,

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vferguson3006</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How come?
You know of someone with a bad experience with one like this?</div></div>

Why? Do you forget where you are? If it doesn't cost 3 years pay...it ain't shit and since it didn't cost that, it must not be functionable. Remember that...lol.

That's why I started with "before everyone begins to laugh", I know what I bought, I know what it's worth, not much more than the $30 bucks, I know the crowd on here is very knowledgeable about reticles so where else better to go to get answers.
Turns out, I was right, didn't take long to get the info. on the scope reticle.
As long as it functions as it should I'll use it on a rifle until it makes me LOL. So far so good.