• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What the hell to do?

dormandefense

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2012
Aynor, SC
Ok. So, I just sold my bushnell elite tac 3-12x44 w/ g2 reticle here on the classifieds. Sent the scope out last week. I get a message from the dude today saying its jacked, and he can't work out the parallax.

Here's the message:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412039425.404780.jpg

I responded that I'd make it right and wondered if he'd adjusted the fast focus ocular adjustment on the eyepiece.

I ran this scope for a few months and a few hundred rounds without a single issue in its entire magnification range. I used it from 20 yards-900 Yards and never once had an issue resolving parallax. It went straight from the rifle it sat on to an uber padded box where it was sent to the buyer. How in hell could something have happened between here and there, short of running the box over with the usps truck, that could have possibly caused it to lose the ability to adjust parallax? I mean, shit, it's meant to live on a rifle and take that recoil as its native function.

So, my question is... What's considered making this right, provided it wasn't the buyer failing to adjust the eye piece? Is it my responsibility to buy it back and attempt to get warranty work done? My first instinct was yes. Just wondering your opinions.

If the buyer wants to join in, maybe we can figure this shit out. I left it all anonymous in the case that he doesn't.

Sounds like the eyepiece needs to be adjusted. You're in a tough spot though. If its not the eyepiece I would want the scope back first and then give him the money back but thats just me. Good luck.

... I think he's warning of a different scope coming back, maybe not.

Ask him to double check his rings to be sure they're properly torqued. He could have gorilla torqued them causing the parallax adjustment to bind up.

But the most likely cause is what everyone else has suggested, IMHO. Should be simple to resolve with a little instruction.

See if he's using it correctly first. I would also ask him about the condition of the box it arrived in - if the box was severely damaged, I would look into a claim with the shipper (you did buy insurance, right?) Otherwise, I'd offer either to pay his shipping to Bushnell warranty service, OR take it back and send it in yourself. But I'd check the serial # and condition if taking it back.

Ft/lbs instead of in/lbs? Haha hopefully not.

:) If you need a 3' torque wrench and a cheater bar to mount your scope... you're doing it wrong.

Sounds like ocular adjustment. I'm often amazed at how little most shooters know about optics.

Lot of them don't even know a scope needs to be zeroed to a particular rifle and think it's broken if it's not exactly at zero when they mount it. :p

If he's willing to, try and get on Skype with him and give him a good once over with the scope. Maybe he's not that experienced with optics as others have suggested. This way you can actually see what he is talking about before having to get into shipping to Bushnell for something that may be his fault.

OP, I feel for you, but sounds like your intentions are good to make this right! Lot's of clueless people in this world. Trust me, I know from personal experience. Good luck.

Sounds like ocular adjustment. I'm often amazed at how little most shooters know about optics.

Lot of them don't even know a scope needs to be zeroed to a particular rifle and think it's broken if it's not exactly at zero when they mount it. :p

The ocular adjustment was my first recommendation on fixing the problem. Considering the posts I saw him make through his account, it sounds like he's owned some relatively high end scopes before. I can only hope that's the issue and he's good to go.

I've actually seen scope reviews where people gave it negative feedback for not being 100% zero on any particular rifle out of the box. An extreme lack of understanding.

I left the dude my cell number and attempted contact twice. I'm hoping that the 14 hours of silence is a sign that the ocular adjustment fixed the problem.

If he's willing to, try and get on Skype with him and give him a good once over with the scope. Maybe he's not that experienced with optics as others have suggested. This way you can actually see what he is talking about before having to get into shipping to Bushnell for something that may be his fault.

I was hoping he'd call the cell number I gave him so we can work over some of the specifics. If he's able, Skype or FaceTime would be a good tool to allow inspection of the installation etc. good idea

OP, I feel for you, but sounds like your intentions are good to make this right! Lot's of clueless people in this world. Trust me, I know from personal experience. Good luck.

I'm certainly going to try. I'm just waiting for contact back so I can figure out what making it right entails.

Personally I prefer to give my buyer the benefit of the doubt as often as is possible simply to appease my own conscience. However there's always the possibility that he may have accidentally dropped or otherwise damage the scope after receiving it and is now trying to get YOU to fix it. Probably not but it is a possibility.

When I sell a product in a setting like this I tend to make it clear that "as is" is the name of the game.

Hope it works out for ya hoss

Well guys. Thanks for the input. Below is the last correspondence I received from the buyer. Relief!

"Sorry for taking so long to get back with you, been non-stop at work. But needless to say, Im an idiot and you are correct. This is my first nicer scope scope besides my Viper PST, which doesnt have the ocular focus, nor has any scope Ive previously had that I can remember. But playing with that corrected my issue. The ocular adjustment being all the way in too, I never noticed it. Again, Im sorry to jump the gun, I appreciate you needing to be stand up, need be.

Again a million apologies."

Well guys. Thanks for the input. Below is the last correspondence I received from the buyer. Relief!

"Sorry for taking so long to get back with you, been non-stop at work. But needless to say, Im an idiot and you are correct. This is my first nicer scope scope besides my Viper PST, which doesnt have the ocular focus, nor has any scope Ive previously had that I can remember. But playing with that corrected my issue. The ocular adjustment being all the way in too, I never noticed it. Again, Im sorry to jump the gun, I appreciate you needing to be stand up, need be.

Again a million apologies."

Amazing, simply boggles the mind. But glad your issue is resolved.

I'm a big proponent of giving the buyer the benefit of the doubt, even beyond what many others may deem reasonable. It always seems to work out much like your scenario in the long run, and if it doesn't, at least you can say that you have gone above and beyond to try to resolve whatever the issue may be. Glad you got it taken care of.