• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors What thread pitch is the most versatile for a can?

delv7915

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2010
Northern, CO
I am getting ready to purchase a can and I have the choice of 5/8-24 3/4-20 3/4-24 and 3/4-28 thread pitches. What is the most versatile thread pitch for your barrel. Is one better than the other?

Re: What thread pitch is the most versatile for a can?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: delv7915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am getting ready to purchase a can and I have the choice of 5/8-24 3/4-20 3/4-24 and 3/4-28 thread pitches. What is the most versatile thread pitch for your barrel. Is one better than the other? </div></div>

The one that's better than the rest would be the one that mates to your can, but since it sounds like you're set on threading you're barrel BEFORE deciding what can to get...I guess it would depend on what caliber can and how many other calibers you plan to use it for.

You can always get larger adapters so I would say anything in the 3/4 realm is out unless you're planning a .338 suppressor, but that's just me.
In my experience, most .30 cal cans are 5/8 x 24...but you can still get a 1/2x28 threaded barrel and buy a 5/8 x 24 adapter. (or any of the others for that matter)

5/8-24 seems to be pretty widely accepted

If you look at the Shark, they have suppressors threaded something like 1x20 and then they sell adaptors for 5/8x24, 1/2x28, and all the rest. It's a good solution to the adapting problem. But for a 30 cal can, I don't think you can go wrong with 5/8x24.

it depends on caliber. if its 223 than id go with 1/2-28. if its a 30 caliber id do 5/8-24.

Thanks everyone. I should have clarified the cal. It is .30cal and I am planning on using it on my .223 (bolt gun) as well. MY .223 barrel is a varmint so it is thick enough to thread it in the 3/4 range if needed. I have been looking at the TBAC 30BA. I know they are more expensive as I would need to purchase an extra break but then I could swap and not worry about needing to protect the barrel threads that are not covered. They make their breaks in 1/2x28, 5/8x24, 3/4x20, 3/4x24 and 3/4x28 so I can pretty much pick the thread I want for my barrel from these sizes. From what everyone has said, it seems that 5/8x24 is the way to go. Any other thoughts? I was leaning towards the 3/4 sizes as it would leave even more strength at the end of the barrel. I am not sure why I would need more but... always trying to plan ahead.

A .30 cal can will not be as effective on a .223 as a 5.56 can would be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MCC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A .30 cal can will not be as effective on a .223 as a 5.56 can would be.</div></div>

actually, they're often quieter due to the larger internal volume

Maybe but not in my experience.

When I approached my local competent gun shop and let them know that I would be purchasing a can for my .30 cal, they asked me if I would be purchasing a separate can for my .223 I told them that I was planning on using it for both gun and his reply was that the .223 will be very quiet. If you go to TBACs website, they address this issue. Check it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC6ebmr6-fo

5/8x24 is used in applications from .308 through .338LM.

The larger threads are generally .338LM specific.

I think you'll be better off with a 5/8x24.

I went metric threads on one of my 338LM can for more bite on the threads. More surface contact and tighter threading is going to yield best results when you think about your can unscrewing from your rifle.

I also went 3/4x24 on my AWC T-Trap and being huge threads they lock up REAL tight!

Its all personal preference really...

Everyone thank you again for your comments and direction. So after reading all the posts here, I have decided to go with 3/4x24. Several reasons I have chose this are as follows: 1) 3/4x24 are a lot larger which leaves a lot more material on the end of the barrel. If for some reason I decide to change my set up once again, I am not locked into a smaller size. ie you can always take material off but things turn pretty ugly when you start trying to put material back on 2) As KYS338 mentioned above and after looking at 3/4x24 treads, they are large and lock up tight. I really do not want to always be checking my can to see if it has loosened. 3) I thought about going with 3/4x28 but the pitch was very fine and easily damaged so that option was out. 4) Desert Tactical makes a kick'n machine and they use 3/4x24. One of these DTA's might just be in my future so why not just plan ahead! : )

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: delv7915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I approached my local competent gun shop and let them know that I would be purchasing a can for my .30 cal, they asked me if I would be purchasing a separate can for my .223 I told them that I was planning on using it for both gun and his reply was that the .223 will be very quiet. If you go to TBACs website, they address this issue. Check it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC6ebmr6-fo
</div></div>

Just as a learning aid, and in no way a criticism of the intent of the video or the products within it, we set aside in its entirety any video recording whenever we cannot hear the projectile signature of a supersonic round when that is what is being shot. When a person shoots supersonic rounds and you cannot hear that quite obvious signature above, behind, through the residual blast signature, that particular video has poor recording values. In short, the video is worthless in determining suppression values of a .223 through a .30.

I have shot a great deal of suppressed .223, much through .30 cans. It does have a meaningful suppression effect, but not close to a dedicated .223 can. There are a host of reasons why.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went metric threads on one of my 338LM can for more bite on the threads. More surface contact and tighter threading is going to yield best results when you think about your can unscrewing from your rifle.

I also went 3/4x24 on my AWC T-Trap and being huge threads they lock up REAL tight!

Its all personal preference really... </div></div>

The 3/4" thread has the drawback of potentially limiting thread adaptor options severely over the 5/8x24 which is much more common.

I could see the larger thread having greater strength (ability to receive larger torque loading without stripping), and if that meant that you could mount the product with more torque, that should imply greater mounting security.

However your ability to generate torque in this application is related to the strength of your arms, because most suppressors are tool-less installed items, so I believe the determining factor in the equation will be two things:

1. Thread pitch (24 in 5/8 0r 3/4 OD will provide the same result) 28 pitch should permit slightly greater mounting pressure with the same arm strength imparted to the suppressor because threads work on the principle of the inclined plane which extends work over greater distance, lowering force required to advance travel.

2. thread shoulder surface area- the more surface area, the less pressure per square inch will be attained. This will reduce locking force. So in other words reducing contacting surface area of the thread shoulder to rear of the suppressor will result in an increase in mounting security.

That may be why you feel 3/4OD threads lock up better for you- they may leave less mate-able barrel material at the thread shoulder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went metric threads on one of my 338LM can for more bite on the threads. More surface contact and tighter threading is going to yield best results when you think about your can unscrewing from your rifle.

I could see the larger thread having greater strength, and if that meant that you could mount the product with more torque, that should imply greater mounting security.

However your ability to generate torque in this application is related to the strength of your arms, because most suppressors are tool-less installed items, so I believe the determining factor in the equation will be two things:

1. Thread pitch (24 in 5/8 0r 3/4 OD will provide the same result)

2. thread shoulder surface area- the more surface area, the less pressure per square inch will be attained. This will reduce locking force. So in other words reducing contacting surface area of the thread shoulder to rear of the suppressor will result in an increase in mounting security.

That may be why you feel 3/4OD threads lock up better for you- they may leave less mate-able barrel material at the thread shoulder. </div></div>

Your saying less shoulder on the barrel is better? I cant agree with that. You are relying on that shoulder to line your threads, the bore, and the bore of the suppressor. I am not putting a 338 AAC Titan on a pencil barrel with a light palma contour barrel. Thats asking for stupid things to happen.

This is how thread locking devices work- they reduce the contacting area, increasing localized pressure.

What I'm saying is that by increasing the size of the thread, you, without realizing it, decreased the size of the barrel thread shoulder.

5/8 is .625" DIA
3/4 is .75" diameter.

Choosing 3/4 over 5/8 reduced the size of your thread shoulder by .0625 a side.

Not when your barrel is 1.25" straight taper!!!

Id be more concerned with all that pressure and the 300gr projectile running down a bore that has a thin wall then custom fitting my threads to be tight. I can screw my Titan halfway onto my barrel and fire the gun. The can doesnt move. Why you ask? I had the barrel machined for THAT cans threads.

Thats the beauty of custom rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not when your barrel is 1.25" straight taper!!!

Id be more concerned with all that pressure and the 300gr projectile running down a bore that has a thin wall then custom fitting my threads to be tight. I can screw my Titan halfway onto my barrel and fire the gun. The can doesnt move. Why you ask? I had the barrel machined for THAT cans threads.

Thats the beauty of custom rifles. </div></div>

Custom threads will help, but for the production product, the reduced shoulder, or a similar device is going to help preventing the device from loosening inadvertently.

That feature (the reduced diameter surface in the image below) has worked well in my experience, and that's the working theory behind it.

In honesty you greatly increase the threat of thread galling by running abnormally tight thread specs in some materials.

29955_459282849568_172008254568_5765611_4830196_n.jpg

Griffin, Thank you for the information. I understand what you have presented and can see the validity in it. I will keep it in mind and work out the details with my gun smith.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: delv7915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Griffin, Thank you for the information. I understand what you have presented and can see the validity in it. I will keep it in mind and work out the details with my gun smith. </div></div>

Best of luck with your project- I'm sure it will turn out great!

Thanks again everyone who have contributed to this discussion. This is a very important question that you should ask yourself when you are getting ready to purchase a can. Think about the current and future possibilities that treading your barrel will provide. If you believe that you will sell you rifle in the future, also make sure that the thread pitch you choose with give prospective buyers options as well. This will make you rifle easier to sell.

Yup, 5/8x24 would be the recommended base thread pitch. Many options for you, or later owner, who would like to use a QD mount and host the can on other platforms.

1/2*28 17hr 22lr 223 9mm any pistol caliber .355" dia below.

hell look at all the calibers the liberty mystic can shoot through it.

5/8x24 in larger rifle.s

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went metric threads on one of my 338LM can for more bite on the threads. More surface contact and tighter threading is going to yield best results when you think about your can unscrewing from your rifle.

I could see the larger thread having greater strength, and if that meant that you could mount the product with more torque, that should imply greater mounting security.

1. Thread pitch (24 in 5/8 0r 3/4 OD will provide the same result)

That may be why you feel 3/4OD threads lock up better for you- they may leave less mate-able barrel material at the thread shoulder. </div></div>

Your saying less shoulder on the barrel is better? I cant agree with that. You are relying on that shoulder to line your threads, the bore, and the bore of the suppressor. I am not putting a 338 AAC Titan on a pencil barrel with a light palma contour barrel. Thats asking for stupid things to happen. </div></div>

I was just going to inquire about that myself until I saw that you beat me to it KYS. The way I see it, you get more lock up with smaller threads, bc the surface area of the of the barrel's shoulder is more, allowing more contact with the can. More surface area = more friction = more lock. Tac Ops uses 9/16x24 threads for this reason; more shoulder contact than 5/8x24 threads (although they don't allow for as many options for brakes). I have 2 of my rifles threaded 9/16x24, an M40 and an MTU contour. They shoulder up with the cans nice and snug.

But I do see Griffin's point about decreased area and greater pressures. Same concept as the penetrating power of a sharp point versus a dull point. I shouldn't have said "lock up". I meant more positive contact, allowing for a true alignment and greater support.