• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to aim at with mirage?

sniper79_98

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2009
USA
i had a lot of mirage today while shooting. My 6” target became a blur at 700 yards. The target was a green sticker stuck on a cardboard box. What should I be aiming at and realistically expected a hit? Or, what is my best chance for a hit at longer ranges? Should I be using an 18”x30” target because of the mirage? It’s difficult for me to focus that 6” target at 27x with so much distortion. Any tips are appreciated!

Good discussion, links and a video here:

Reactions: sniper79_98
Good discussion, links and a video here:

Thank you. I’ll check it out.

Awesome video. What he’s describing is exactly what I’m seeing. He makes a lot of sense.

i had a lot of mirage today while shooting. My 6” target became a blur at 700 yards. The target was a green sticker stuck on a cardboard box. What should I be aiming at and realistically expected a hit? Or, what is my best chance for a hit at longer ranges? Should I be using an 18”x30” target because of the mirage? It’s difficult for me to focus that 6” target at 27x with so much distortion. Any tips are appreciated!

Are you shooting prone?

No, I’m shooting off of a bench. After reading some more, I think my diopter may have been out of focus. I hadn’t adjusted it correctly and was about 1/4 turn from where I needed to be.

No, I’m shooting off of a bench. After reading some more, I think my diopter may have been out of focus. I hadn’t adjusted it correctly and was about 1/4 turn from where I needed to be.

Higher Off the ground the less effect but if you’re somewhere like Florida when it’s 97° and 80% humidity it’s pretty much potluck as when you can’t see you can’t say I really don’t think there’s a whole Lotta hardware or simple trick to fix it it is what it is

I’m in North Carolina . It’s pretty humid here too. No, nothing that I’ve found works except shooting early in the morning.