• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What to be concerned about with a custom rifle

mossievq

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2010
Im trying to buil a custom sniper rifle but what I want to know is how do I know how much twist I need and do I want lands and grooves or radials and why, and the difference between the bedding whether aluminum,glass, etc. and the bolt housing with fluting or without an why they do that and last whether or not to flute the barrel. I'd really appreciate the help, Thanks!

Re: What to be concerned about with a custom rifle

As I mentioned in your first post today.

Use the search function. You are not asking anything that hasn't been discussed. You are now also asking questions that an "Army Headhunter" should know a little about.

The twist of the barrel is chosen by what bullet you are going to be shooting most. The number of lands and grooves is usually dictated by the barrel maker.

Bedding filler material is something you want to NOT COMPRESS. I prefer to use Devocn aluminum. But that's mainly because I have used a lot of it over the years. I know pretty much how it is going to perform.

No matter what bedding material you use, you want to keep cleaning solvents out of the action / stock area. Cleaning solvents will weaken bedding materials over time.

While MOST fluting on a rifle is done for looks, there is some advantage for cooling a barrel with flutes. I have one barrel that is heavily fluted. To me it isn't worth the extra effort and cost. But that's my opinion. Others will have a different view. A small hint about fluting. Have someone do it that KNOWS what they are doing. It's hard to cover a booboo hanging out in front of you.

A small hint about fluting. Have someone do it that KNOWS what they are doing. It's hard to cover a booboo hanging out in front of you.

Can always hang a blanket over it whilst shooting?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I mentioned in your first post today.

Use the search function. You are not asking anything that hasn't been discussed. You are now also asking questions that an "Army Headhunter" should know a little about.</div></div>

He doesn't appear to understand MOA/Mil relationship or the mechanics of rifles, but lists "army sniper" as occupation in his profile.
Kinda makes you wonder, dunit?

After I posted what I "thought" was helpful information in his "optics" post this is what he PM'ed me:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Headhunter358</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought this would be a good Idea to do but I see now all I will get is a hard time from people like you. All Im trying to do is educate myself more but now I dont even feel like asking any more questions cause all Im gonna get is smart ass remarks. thanks alot man. </div></div>

He originally had his occupation listed as "Army Headhunter" which I assumed to be eluding to sniping since Marine Snipers commonly use "Kopfjaeger". It appears that after our exchange he changes it to "Army Sniper" and changed the Yahoo email that he was using.

He also did not reply after I advised him that playing games on a board populated by professional snipers was not a good idea. Hopefully some common sense set in.