• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to build?

Engine 22

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 3, 2008
    KC
    Here is the deal. I currently have a GAP .243 Crusader and a Winchester Supergrade in .300WM. I have a trued long action .473 bolt face ready to go, but I can't decide which way to go. This will be a tactical/hunter using a Manner's T, Williams bottom metal, and a Bartlein barrel at 25-26" medium to heavy palma. I am mainly a plains hunter and shoot paper frequently, but don't compete in any fashion, yet. I hunt wide open spaces for whitetail, mulies, and I am anticipating a CO pronghorn hunt this season. An elk hunt is in my future as well.
    What I have in mind (after some discussion with Moon at GAP) is one of these:

6.5-284
    6.5x55 Sweede
    .280AI

I know that with the 6.5-284 there will be short barrel life, but very effective. The Sweede is slower, but potent. I know the 280AI is good, but to what range?

I reload all my ammo, so no problem here.

Help me decide by telling me what you know about these cartriges.
    Thanks, Jason

Re: What to build?

Id call the sweede or the plan jane 280 but that is just me.

The sweede would be the ultamate 6.5 package and the 280 I believe is the perfect 7mm, unless you want to consider the 284 win over the 6.5-284. Either way you will need a long action to get the most out of any of them.

Howdy.

Since you already have a long action, the 280AI would work well. You can get almost the same velocity as a 7mm mag with 140gr bullets and there are heavier bullets available than for 6.5s, up to 180gr VLDs. The 6.5x284 is awesome but can fit in a short action and brass is not as common or as cheap as the 280. If you had a short action and did not have the 280 as an option, 6.5x284 all the way. Both would be great for deer or pronghorn.

What about barrel life on the Sweede vs 280AI?

I have a 30-06 sitting here that I am going to punch to 30-06AI untill I can rebarrel it...then looking at shootin g out to 1000 yards the 30-06AI looks better on paper than the 280AI....better gain with heavier bullets......seems kinda redundant having a 300WM and a 30-06AI but it just looks like a better round than the 280AI.....unless I am mistaken the slight gain in BC of the 284 bullets isn't enough to cover the 150 fps sperad for the 175 gr....heavier yet and the 30-06Ai seems to really shine.

Looking for opinions myself....

I'm not going to go with a .30 cal. on this one. I'm thinking I'll go with one of the 6.5's, but that 280AI keeps popping in my head. I'm leaning towards the 6.5-284 for the long range benefits although I'm not 100% convinced. I'm still looking for more info.

284win in your long action,Lapua brass is excellent.Have it throated so that you can use the maximum case capacity.Heaviest bullets will buck the wind better and retain more energy at distance.Also you can expect at least 2000 rounds down the bore before the barrel goes south.Probably 3000 rounds for hunting purposes.

Steve

6.5-06 or especially 6.5-06AI would be great for open country hunting, but barrel life will be short.

the 280AI is a great choice by it's looks on paper. I'm considering that cartridge for my next build myself but have no real experience with it.

I don't have any hands on and don't know much about the the Sweede and the .280 but if it was me... I'd roll with the 6.5x284...
    grin.gif

And on another note... for strictly hunting which it sounds like... I'd be doing a .270 ! But to have paper punching abilities at 1000 in competition.. 6.5-284