• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to buy next?!

DamagedGuds

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2019
GA
This is extremely subjective, I get it. Currently, I'm at a toss up of what to buy next for comp/shooting in general. I don't hunt and have only shot three matches and I'm already balls deep. I have the rifle, scope, bipod, pint size GC, shmedium GC, milktoast bag, fat bag, so on so forth.

What I don't have is a Kestrel, tripod, binos, cheater plate, range finder. All of these aren't necessities, but niceties. If you had to pick one, why? I feel as if I can justify why and why not for each. 😭

Don't worry about price/money but priority (maybe?). I know some of y'all have felt how I feel. I want it all and of course that'd be a thing if money wasn't a factor, but in due time. Tear this ass up if needed, it's already all blown out. Just thinking out loud and leaning on y'all to help me decide.

Reactions: ClintQuint
Kestrel and a range finder that will "talk" to it.....
You can't go wrong with the Kestrel. Definitely provides much more info than my phone/shooting apps provide, but my phone hasn't let me down yet. (This is all my hang up, the justifications). The match I was at this weekend I was able to look through Sig 3Ks and Vortex 5K Fury's (not the AB version) and use the laser capes . Both were VERY similar. The glass was great. Also, I'm interested in the Bushnell's, for what they are at their price point, they are excellent.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Kestrel and accurate info to feed it have done wonders for my hit/miss ratio inside of 1k.
Have you used the phone apps such as strelok, ballisticarc, etc? If so, how do they compare, if say, you used them with a weathermeter? I know the phones can die, hell mine was below 20% by the time I left that match. Overhearing two guys talk, one with the weathermeter/phone and the other with a Kestrel. One said he couldn't justify it because the weathermeter was drastically cheaper. The idea has crossed my mind, but the all-in-one feature and battery life is awesome.

if you are only shooting known distances, i would get a tripod.

if you want to be able to range and hunt when the country goes to shit, get a rangefinder.

i am using a kilo2400abs, so a kestrel is not needed. might not be the best choice, but it works.

oh and if you rely on electronics, carry spare batteries or a battery pack to plug into.

Does no one range with their reticle anymore?

Does no one range with their reticle anymore?
i do, but i have a reticle that has ranging marks, and tbh, i needed a rangefinder to find out if my ranging was worth a shit anyway.
i don't have someplace where i can just shoot at random stuff until i hit it.

Reactions: DamagedGuds
Have you used the phone apps such as strelok, ballisticarc, etc? If so, how do they compare, if say, you used them with a weathermeter? I know the phones can die, hell mine was below 20% by the time I left that match. Overhearing two guys talk, one with the weathermeter/phone and the other with a Kestrel. One said he couldn't justify it because the weathermeter was drastically cheaper. The idea has crossed my mind, but the all-in-one feature and battery life is awesome.
I haven’t done the phone apps, mostly because I had some gift cards to burn for the kestrel, so unfortunately I can’t help you there.
Nv - Rule the night!

:)
Absolutely. Half of every day is night.

A pocket pussy.

Everyone focuses on gear, loads, etc but nobody ever considers the mental aspect. Nothing puts your head in the right place like tugging one out before going up to shoot a stage.
I'm sure I can rub one out and shoot 10 rounds in 90-120 seconds.

Unless you know for sure your phone has an actual compass chip and not just GPS assist, going cheap on a WeatherFlow meter can back fire. They no longer offer one with a built in compass and it relies on the phone for wind direction if you plan to put it on a vane.

If you need a tripod to shoot off of every match I'd give priority to that. If not I'd say a Kestrel unless your wind reading is already stellar.

Unless you know for sure your phone has an actual compass chip and not just GPS assist, going cheap on a WeatherFlow meter can back fire. They no longer offer one with a built in compass and it relies on the phone for wind direction if you plan to put it on a vane.

If you need a tripod to shoot off of every match I'd give priority to that. If not I'd say a Kestrel unless your wind reading is already stellar.
Yeah that doesn't sound very promising 😕.

I hate to be the guy asking to look through someone else's spotter/binos and I enjoy watching, maybe even use it with friends.

A kestrel would more than likely get me a better readout also

An M1 Garand.
default_segrin.gif

Salt, seeds and maybe a fruit tree or two

(and a place to hunt and garden in the country).

I know I’m getting darned pessimistic. So I suppose for PRS a good chronograph,

(Frankly I am looking to purchase a nice, flintlock 20 gauge double barrel).

Yeah that doesn't sound very promising 😕.

I hate to be the guy asking to look through someone else's spotter/binos and I enjoy watching, maybe even use it with friends.

A kestrel would more than likely get me a better readout also
so... you like to watch, huh...

i think everyone will give you wind and atmospherics off their kestrels, but not bad to have your own. i have one that just has bluetooth, no ballistics, and it feeds to my phone with the 'shooter' app that was one-time $10.

tripod and spotting scope come in handy, with the tripod also used as a rear rifle rest.

• Haha
Reactions: DamagedGuds
so... you like to watch, huh...

i think everyone will give you wind and atmospherics off their kestrels, but not bad to have your own. i have one that just has bluetooth, no ballistics, and it feeds to my phone with the 'shooter' app that was one-time $10.

tripod and spotting scope come in handy, with the tripod also used as a rear rifle rest.
Voyeurism...

I have come to notice a lot of other shooters are willing to share their holds along with telling you wind speed/direction also.

This is extremely subjective, I get it. Currently, I'm at a toss up of what to buy next for comp/shooting in general. I don't hunt and have only shot three matches and I'm already balls deep. I have the rifle, scope, bipod, pint size GC, shmedium GC, milktoast bag, fat bag, so on so forth.

What I don't have is a Kestrel, tripod, binos, cheater plate, range finder. All of these aren't necessities, but niceties. If you had to pick one, why? I feel as if I can justify why and why not for each. 😭

Don't worry about price/money but priority (maybe?). I know some of y'all have felt how I feel. I want it all and of course that'd be a thing if money wasn't a factor, but in due time. Tear this ass up if needed, it's already all blown out. Just thinking out loud and leaning on y'all to help me decide.
Ammo and practice

• Love
Reactions: Alphatreedog
IOTA and dry fire . A training partner . Training class or classes .
Fundementals rule the day .
If you get a range finder check out Leica . They are consumer side of Safran Vectronix who are cutting edge military grade . Of note I don't remember the actual PRS Comp and it was overcast , misty sprinkling and the only range finder either getting returns or consistent returns was a Leica ( as was relayed ) . IIRC @lowlight was there or running the event . I don't have any connection to ; Leica , Vectronix , Safran and am not claiming endorsement by Frank . It was an anecdotal mention by Frank as I recall .

Ammo and practice
Current climate makes it difficult. Before covid, the goal was to send a couple thousand rounds down. I think this year I've only shot a few hundred, including two 1-day matches. I reload and like everyone else I'm rationing.

IOTA and dry fire . A training partner . Training class or classes .
Fundementals rule the day .
If you get a range finder check out Leica . They are consumer side of Safran Vectronix who are cutting edge military grade . Of note I don't remember the actual PRS Comp and it was overcast , misty sprinkling and the only range finder either getting returns or consistent returns was a Leica ( as was relayed ) . IIRC @lowlight was there or running the event . I don't have any connection to ; Leica , Vectronix , Safran and am not claiming endorsement by Frank . It was an anecdotal mention by Frank as I recall .
I could resort to much more dry fire. When I do it (scarcely) I use a fold up chair and ladder. Partner? Sadly, I haven't met anyone near me that's into this type of shooting. People like to shoot, but not how we do. Most of who I know shoot pistols and ARs, but that's as a social thing. "Yeah, I like to shoot. I shoot my AR every 6 months, about 30 rounds."
I do want to get a form of training. I live in between MPA and Altus, so good choices there.
Range finder: I've been stuck on Leica for some time, more specifically the 2700. All of the reviews are excellent! My justification to not buying one is because the ranges I utilize have known distances, stepped out every 100 yards. Boring, but it's what we have in south Georgia. Last year, I went to Arena and used their UKD range. I would have been screwed had some others not brought their range finders. That's the only time I've "needed" it. Thank you!

Reactions: Alphatreedog