• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to buy next?

HMRamateur

Will work for powder
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2019
I plan to start shooting some matches next year, and would like some input from those with experience about what to purchase now rather than waiting, or if there is something that I need that I have missed.

What I have:
Rifle - going to use my .223 for my first year. Tikka CTR in a cadex field tactical chassis. Bushnell DMR2 pro.
Ammo - handloads 75gr Amax. I use a 0.001g scale that has a 5s stabilization time, unlike the fx-120i with 1s stabilization time. I also just use a cheap powder throw and trickle by hand. It isnt the fastest but it is accurate.
Tripod - innorel tripod with an anvil 30. I will potentially upgrade this before I start if I feel the anvil 30 I just purchased hasn't increased stability enough on its own.
Kestrel 5700 (non-link version).
Bushnell fusion range finder binoculars.
Armageddon gear pint sized game changer.
Armageddon gear squishy rear bag.

This is just what I have as a recreational shooter. Will this be enough for my first year? Should I upgrade any of those now and save myself the headache or will those be fine for my expected skill level? Replies appreciated in advance.

Looks good to me. You'll probably see an eventual preference for the slightly larger game changer bags (schmedium or +1) but no reason to go buy something now.

Odds and ends to think about adding to the kit: Ammo management ie some sort of case/wallet/bag for loaded ammo and also one for spent brass. Wrist coach + grease pen. 2 mags, mag pouch for your belt.

Good luck out there!

Maybe I missed it, but do you have a bipod?

^^^ What he said. Do you have a bipod? If not, you'll definitely need one. I suggest an Atlas BT65-NC (no clamp) coupled with an RRS BTC-Pro clamp. The clamp will attach to either picatinney or ARCA rails. It looks like that chassis has a length of pic rail and a sling swivel. See if you can swap those bits out for a piece of ARCA rail - MDT sells it in various lengths and I'm sure other vendors do too - I just don't know who.

Don't cheap out on a bipod. You can buy a Harris that will floppy-attach to that sling swivel, but you really don't want to do that. A Harris can be modified to work quite well, but in the long run the Atlas / RRS combo is solid and popular.

While it's true that a .223 is more challenging to shoot at extended distance (over 600-700 yards) due to wind sensitivity of the lighter bullet, it's completely acceptable. I shoot mine to 1000 regularly, and I have a couple of buddies who do quite well in Tactical class with that caliber (class limits bullet weight to 77 grains).

Good luck.

Reactions: HMRamateur
If you already have a bipod, and money is just burning a hole in your pocket, you might consider the schmedium heavy gamechanger. I've been through a few different sized bags, and this one ends up being my go-to pretty much for everything now.

Yep, good call forgot to add that in the list. I have an atlas bt10 v8 with QD picatinny mount. I also have an area 419 picatinny to arca adapter for use with an arca rail. I had an area 419 rail that I used on the factory stock.

I have been considering a new bipod though. Something a bit wider with a larger footprint. I presume f class bipods might be a bit too wide for prs use, although they look sturdy as hell. The bt65 and bt72 look like a nice compromise on size.

Last edited:
I’d start by attending a few local matches. Guys there are almost always willing to let you try their gear. It will save you a ton of money and a box full of gear that you feel is “meh”.

I will follow up what others have said. Don’t try and save money on the bipod. Also I’d carry a bigger game changer. But try before you buy at local comps.

I have been considering a new bipod though. Something a bit wider with a larger footprint
I recommended the Atlas BT65-NC/RRS BTC Pro combo because I've had it for years... solid and dependable. With that said -

I don't know what your budget is, but... Also take a look at MDT bipods. I've got a couple of buddies who are running Ckye-Pods and they love them. Big $$ for a bipod, but I'm probably going to try to score one during MDT's (in)famous Black Friday sale which starts tomorrow (Friday) at 6PM EST - you could join me and the rest of the thundering stampede to try to score top-shelf MDT gear at 40% discount. Just be aware that supply is limited and there are always winners and losers - especially if the site is overwhelmed and gets flaky, which is almost expected.

The Grnd-Pod is much more budget-friendly... I haven't seen one of them. Easy to return if you don't like it.

Bipods: I started with a Harris, added an Arca clamp. Works fine, deploys fast. But its kinda narrow and more than once I’ve had to prevent my rifle from tipping over when doing a wide transition. Went to an Atlas CAL next, added claw feet and shot that for a year or three with good success. My buddies have Cyke-pods and I’ve used them. Nice, but the CAL was working for me so I stuck with it. Then I came across a stage last summer where my Atlas wasn’t tall enough and I timed out fussing around with building a solid position. That kinda sold me on the Cyke-pod double pull. It’s heavy (28-ish oz) but damn that thing is versatile for shooting off all kinds of positions and props. So I sold a kidney and bought one and haven’t regretted it (hey, we have two kidneys right?). The Cyke-pod double pull is one of those ‘buy once, cry once’ items. Or maybe you can score one on the PX or MDT’s black friday sale.

I recommended the Atlas BT65-NC/RRS BTC Pro combo because I've had it for years... solid and dependable. With that said -

I don't know what your budget is, but... Also take a look at MDT bipods. I've got a couple of buddies who are running Ckye-Pods and they love them. Big $$ for a bipod, but I'm probably going to try to score one during MDT's (in)famous Black Friday sale which starts tomorrow (Friday) at 6PM EST - you could join me and the rest of the thundering stampede to try to score top-shelf MDT gear at 40% discount. Just be aware that supply is limited and there are always winners and losers - especially if the site is overwhelmed and gets flaky, which is almost expected.

The Grnd-Pod is much more budget-friendly... I haven't seen one of them. Easy to return if you don't like it.
Just FYI the sale starts today

Just FYI the sale starts today
OUCH! THANKS! Not sure why I was thinking it started tomorrow! Even after getting the heads-up from MDT a little while ago.
Bipods: I started with a Harris, added an Arca clamp. Works fine, deploys fast. But its kinda narrow and more than once I’ve had to prevent my rifle from tipping over when doing a wide transition. Went to an Atlas CAL next, added claw feet and shot that for a year or three with good success. My buddies have Cyke-pods and I’ve used them. Nice, but the CAL was working for me so I stuck with it. Then I came across a stage last summer where my Atlas wasn’t tall enough and I timed out fussing around with building a solid position. That kinda sold me on the Cyke-pod double pull. It’s heavy (28-ish oz) but damn that thing is versatile for shooting off all kinds of positions and props. So I sold a kidney and bought one and haven’t regretted it (hey, we have two kidneys right?). The Cyke-pod double pull is one of those ‘buy once, cry once’ items. Or maybe you can score one on the PX or MDT’s black friday sale.
Thanks for this post. I had a buddy of mine say just yesterday that he'd like to get hold of a double-pull Ckye-Pod for exactly the reasons you state. I'm honestly wavering over the cost, even if I manage to score one at BF 40% discount.... Guess I could sell my Atlas/RRS and older Harris/RRS units to offset....

Reactions: ECK
I've been looking at bipods a bit lately and from what I have seen people are saying the wider frame, which brings the apex of the bipod above the barrel, is much more stable. The MDT bipods have a very low apex. Is the user friendliness/adjustability that much more of a benefit over the small gain in stability? Or is the stability difference even noticeable?

I have been considering a new bipod though.
Although many people don't like bipods that pan (myself included), some do.

You won't know what you love/hate until you shoot a match. You have everything you need to get out there and shoot your first match.

Going off your list the only thing I see missing is something to manage your dope and stage info. Get some thing to hold a dope card on the gun or something for your wrist to hold dope.
You've got everything else to shoot a match successfully.
Last match I was at we had a 223 and a 223AI that both shot very well all the way to 1270 yards.

Last edited: