• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what to buy?

colinhlavinka

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2008
El Campo, TX
I have had someone make some loads for my rifle and have come to the conclusion my 5r really likes 155 amax's. Now i need to buy the stuff to make my own rounds instead of having to pay someone to. I have lapua brass, powder, primers, and bullets already. Was not easy to get together. Now i need the other side of the equation. I want to buy once, cry once. From people that have done this what do i need to invest in? Mainly just going to reload .308 for precision maybe .223 for precision soon. I need to buy before stuff gets too much higher. Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: what to buy?

On the top of my list:

Giraud Trimmer
RCBS ChargeMaster

Do you have the reloading press and other "tools" to do the job? If not, I would recommend a RCBS chucker kit, Trimmer, tumbler and its media, reloading shells holder, dies of course.

There is going to be a debate on the single press vs. progressive press. IMHO, if you are a starter and you are not going to load several thousand rounds at a time, a single press will serve you well.

Redding T7 press, Chargemaster 1500 combo, tumbler of your choice and a trimmer (Gracey w/Giraud blade, or Giraud)

Hornady, Sierra, Nosler manuals. RCBS case prep center.

When i say nothing that is what I mean. I need all the hardware. I have been steered to the rock chucker. Bidding on one on ebay. What dies do I need, brass prep?

Forster Coax press, Forster BR dies or Redding dies, a scale, and the Hornady/Stoney Point toolkit that will let you measure your cartridge (ogive) distance from lands of rifling to base of cartridge, and will let you measure cartidge headspace with a different attachment, a good dial caliper, and some reload manuals for reference. buy quality once, it will last a lifetime.

If you actually want the best for accuracy, get a Forster Co-Ax press and either Forster or Redding BR/Competion dies.

If you will give up a tad on accuracy for a little faster operation, get the Redding T-7 press. If you really want more speed, get a Dillion 1050 press. And the Gracy trimmer.

For neck turning by hand, get a Pumkin or K&M.

RCBS' tools aren't even in the same league with them. Well, the 1500 powder system is okay.

RCBS makes wonderful presses. But I prefer Redding dies. I use the type "S" bushing type full length sizing dies and a comp seater.

But to each his own.

Lots of good ammo has been loaded using RCBS's Rockchucker. Don't rush to0 fast into a buy you may regret unless you're made of money. Read Doc's thread on reloading basics for some suggestions. There is a lot to learn and this stuff isn't free. But you can build up to it in increments and be able to reload satisfactorily as you learn what more you'll need or want.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=96660#Post96660

Do some searches. This question gets asked twice a week, and there are a lot of replies already posted. You will learn that RCBS equipment isn't what it used to be. Redding and Forster are first line equipment. The RCBS Chargemaster Combo has become a <span style="font-style: italic">de facto</span> standard if you don't want to weigh every charge on a beam scale. If your reloading volume doesn't justify the Giraud, Wilson's trimmer is top of the line. Get a Sinclair catalog. You don't necessarily want to buy everything from them, but they have the better equipment, and their accessories and gauges are excellent.

I am really honestly surprised that only one person ahs said some manuals. Seriously go buy as many books as you can and read them, then read them again, then see if you can find someone in your area that is willing to sit down and show you what the steps are. Then you can go searching, you never know whoever you find that you can sit down with and learn you might have some stuff laying around and is willing to pass it on to you at a good price or possibly even free since they may have upgraded and are no longer using it any more.

I have a lyman, hornady, and pet loads manual. I have read them. I know the steps because I have sat and watched and even helped the guy making my ammo now. Just want to know hat to buy once. Very much appreciate all the help so far. I lurk here way to much and dont contribute enough so I guess I need to be even more thankful and once I know enough to contribute I will. Thanks everyone.

between watching your friend, reading some books, and lurking on here you should be able to figure out what to get.